Missouri State leaving MVC for CUSA

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State leaving MVC for CUSA

Postby IllinoisState » May 21st, 2024, 10:07 am

Aces44 wrote:If it’s NKU and St Thomas, Bellarmine is a better add than Wright St

Are they? They have only been D-I for 4 years. 2 winning seasons and 57-62 overall with each season worse than the last.

I can understand taking a bad UIC just to keep a team in Chicago, but Louisville is much smaller than Chicago.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aces44 » May 21st, 2024, 10:49 am

IllinoisState wrote:
Aces44 wrote:If it’s NKU and St Thomas, Bellarmine is a better add than Wright St

Are they? They have only been D-I for 4 years. 2 winning seasons and 57-62 overall with each season worse than the last.

I can understand taking a bad UIC just to keep a team in Chicago, but Louisville is much smaller than Chicago.

The way I understand it, they are pouring resources in just like St Thomas. Plus, Louisville is a basketball centric locale, and play in a historic barn.
5 yrs from now I don’t think it will be close.

I really have no dog in this fight, just relaying info and giving my take.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Mikovio » May 23rd, 2024, 8:16 am

This might not be great timing for Missouri State --

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ettlement/

The G5 (MAC, SB, CUSA, MWC, AAC) will share 10% of the $2.8B settlement while the 15 FCS conferences share 14%. So they pay about double and this could severely cut into their CFP payouts going forward via player revenue-sharing.

Many industry leaders, particularly those in the Group of Five conferences, are concerned revenue-sharing could send more athletic department budgets into the red, leading to the elimination of sports programs entirely. Many athletic departments are subsidized by student fees from the university and state funds, and some already operate at a deficit.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » May 23rd, 2024, 8:48 am

Mikovio wrote:This might not be great timing for Missouri State --

The G5 (MAC, SB, CUSA, MWC, AAC) will share 10% of the $2.8B settlement while the 15 FCS conferences share 14%. So they pay about double and this could severely cut into their CFP payouts going forward via player revenue-sharing.

Many industry leaders, particularly those in the Group of Five conferences, are concerned revenue-sharing could send more athletic department budgets into the red, leading to the elimination of sports programs entirely. Many athletic departments are subsidized by student fees from the university and state funds, and some already operate at a deficit.

The end result of this is non-revenues are gone by the end of the decade.

Football, MBB, WBB, VB, BB, SB are going to be the only programs that still exist. I'd be real hesitant about putting any money into track or swimming or tennis or soccer right now if I were in administration.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » May 23rd, 2024, 9:58 am

Of course the NCAA requires a minimum number of sports for D1. I think you'll see the NCAA tournament payouts and CFP payouts greatly reduced due to having to share revenue with players and many D1 schools who rely greatly on those will drop down to D2, and FBS schools revert to FCS.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » May 23rd, 2024, 9:20 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Mikovio wrote:This might not be great timing for Missouri State --

The end result of this is non-revenues are gone by the end of the decade.

Football, MBB, WBB, VB, BB, SB are going to be the only programs that still exist. I'd be real hesitant about putting any money into track or swimming or tennis or soccer right now if I were in administration.

The non-revenues will be totally fine. They just won't be scholarship sports. "Non revenue" sports are alive and well at the D3 level.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball