Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby Chuck A » May 24th, 2024, 1:21 pm

ReZyNeZy wrote:Just read up on the court settlements from earlier yesterday. Some things I like, and some things that become very concerning in the future. I like the idea of a salary cap and an effort to combat pay for play and booster money. On my eyes the boosters were a major issue of the old NIL format. I like the idea of being able to offer scholarships to all athletes under a sport. The salary cap was a much needed addition if this was going to become mainstream. While 22 mil is a bit high for a lot of schools. It puts a limit on the big booster schools.

However, as most articles (and some posters mentioned) non revenue sports are effectively dead. There is no room for them anymore when money is going to be put towards paying athletes. Also, allowing the power conferences to develop rules for themselves is just going to alienate the non power conferences even more. Keep in mind these power schools only have 1 sport in mind where players play with a brown ball, and it isn't the spherical one. Making decisions from a purely football standpoint is what got the NCAA in this mess, buy handing over the regulation to the very schools who started the problem is going to cause trouble down the line.

You should've started a new thread for that NCAA Settlement decision. Why would you do that here? This is "Another Expansion/Realignment Thread"!
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 24th, 2024, 1:33 pm

Chuck A wrote:
ReZyNeZy wrote:Just read up on the court settlements from earlier yesterday. Some things I like, and some things that become very concerning in the future. I like the idea of a salary cap and an effort to combat pay for play and booster money. On my eyes the boosters were a major issue of the old NIL format. I like the idea of being able to offer scholarships to all athletes under a sport. The salary cap was a much needed addition if this was going to become mainstream. While 22 mil is a bit high for a lot of schools. It puts a limit on the big booster schools.

However, as most articles (and some posters mentioned) non revenue sports are effectively dead. There is no room for them anymore when money is going to be put towards paying athletes. Also, allowing the power conferences to develop rules for themselves is just going to alienate the non power conferences even more. Keep in mind these power schools only have 1 sport in mind where players play with a brown ball, and it isn't the spherical one. Making decisions from a purely football standpoint is what got the NCAA in this mess, buy handing over the regulation to the very schools who started the problem is going to cause trouble down the line.

You should've started a new thread for that NCAA Settlement decision. Why would you do that here? This is "Another Expansion/Realignment Thread"!

Because This does nothing but kick the rock further down the road of the Power conferences leaving to make a super league, or another Division entirely. They are allowed to make their own enforcement and regulations as mentioned on articles related to the case. This also hinders the aspirations of schools who want to join bigger and better leagues, as now, there is a larger price tag to joining better leagues. That tag being how much you can pay your athletes. There is an entirely new factor to realignment and expansion now that this legislation has gone through. Can you get your payroll up to that 22 mil, or not. If that doesn't qualify with realignment and expansion then I will happily delete and repost in a new thread. For now, I believe there is a case to be made as to what the MVC floor for salary is, and who on our expansion hopes can foot that bill, or who in the conference cannot.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SalukiWorld » May 27th, 2024, 9:38 pm

SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby racernation » May 28th, 2024, 6:18 am

This guy could have a nice career in research analytics. Impressive.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Chuck A » May 28th, 2024, 7:53 am

D1 360 does it again! He’s actually done the Valley’s work for them. They were probably waiting for this as well! With all he’s done, I agree with his top 3. If the Valley just goes to 12, it’s NKU. If it goes to 14, it’s NKU, Arlington and St. Thomas. Great job!
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SalukiWorld » May 28th, 2024, 8:31 am

I’m still a St. Thomas proponent. I think you’re taking a chance on a university that has a ton of potential and appeases both Drake and Northern Iowa in terms of travel. There’s 2 D1 schools in the state of Minnesota and St. Thomas has a brand new basketball facility coming.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby FunchessonPopcorn » May 28th, 2024, 9:21 am

SalukiWorld wrote:I’m still a St. Thomas proponent. I think you’re taking a chance on a university that has a ton of potential and appeases both Drake and Northern Iowa in terms of travel. There’s 2 D1 schools in the state of Minnesota and St. Thomas has a brand new basketball facility coming.

I lean Northern Kentucky, but the only reason it tips that way for me is hockey. St. Thomas does seem to have a buffer financially for headwinds, so agree probably the highest upside option, but whenever headwinds inevitably come I wonder how much gets diverted to hockey and what to basketball. I don’t know their alumni and donors well enough to answer that, but competing in D1 hockey is not childs play.

Denver flat out isn’t going to let hockey suffer for basketball, and they have their entire history to prove that. Omaha has less history, but what they have shows they will make the same call when pressed. St. Thomas is new to it all, so less clear, but I suspect it would be the same story.
FunchessonPopcorn
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby FunchessonPopcorn » May 28th, 2024, 9:26 am

Oh, and I think I actually lean between just letting it play out a little bit with 11 vs adding anyone, but if I were to add one now, I lean NKU.

The 20 game conference schedule and resumption of true regular season champion are nice carrots, and it would allow you to see how St. Thomas evolves and give them a longer window to evaluate them while we enjoy those elements. I do realize producing an actual 20 game schedule for 11 is a pain in the rear, but I’ll trust smart minds can figure that out….I do kinda worry we will have a bunch of teams scheduling the absolute worst opponents in their off days in Jan and Feb, for lack of better options.
FunchessonPopcorn
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby FunchessonPopcorn » May 28th, 2024, 9:32 am

Chuck A wrote:D1 360 does it again! He’s actually done the Valley’s work for them. They were probably waiting for this as well! With all he’s done, I agree with his top 3. If the Valley just goes to 12, it’s NKU. If it goes to 14, it’s NKU, Arlington and St. Thomas. Great job!

He’s remarkable at this stuff. Well organized presentation of all the trade offs.
FunchessonPopcorn
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Chuck A » May 28th, 2024, 11:07 am

FunchessonPopcorn wrote:
Chuck A wrote:D1 360 does it again! He’s actually done the Valley’s work for them. They were probably waiting for this as well! With all he’s done, I agree with his top 3. If the Valley just goes to 12, it’s NKU. If it goes to 14, it’s NKU, Arlington and St. Thomas. Great job!

He’s remarkable at this stuff. Well organized presentation of all the trade offs.

I see now why it took him 3 weeks to produce the video after Missouri State's announcement. Analyzing 19 candidates is indeed a chore. Obviously the Expansion Committee/Presidents have the final say and can go whichever way they choose, but D1 360 covered ALL of the potential area, regional and logistical matters...all except the interviews/presentations themselves! I can't imagine The Valley coming up with a different scenario than what D1 360 has. For them, it would just be a matter of order. Maybe they snatch up Arlington first because of the impending attendance cliff starting in 2025 (according to the video). Arlington's population is bigger and growing faster for regular student recruitment than the Highland Heights, Ky/Cincinnati & the Minneapolis/St. Paul metros. Time will time. A decision to expand, if there is one, probably won't be until after the end or close to the end of the '24-'25 season.
UIC Flames
MVC Member Since 2022
Chuck A
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball