Why Bill Self won't play WSU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Why Bill Self won't play WSU

Postby agrinut » February 1st, 2013, 10:24 am

valleychamp wrote:Why does everybody think that the Iowa schools played each other due to some legislation? Where did that come from?? That is not true, has never been true, and never will be true.

For some reason I think Iowa's coach made that comment a few years back.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » February 1st, 2013, 12:28 pm

agrinut wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Why does everybody think that the Iowa schools played each other due to some legislation? Where did that come from?? That is not true, has never been true, and never will be true.

For some reason I think Iowa's coach made that comment a few years back.

I think that Steve Alford did say that when he was Iowa's coach, but it goes back way before then. People were spouting that b.s. on the Internet as far back as the 1990s. Spout the same lie often enough, and people begin to think it's the truth.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glm38 » February 1st, 2013, 12:43 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I don't really have a problem with Coach Self's stance. This isn't charity. It is D1 basketball, big boy stuff. I don't think KU owes Wichita State anything. I have read all the teeth gnashing on shockernet and what has honestly turned into many Shocker fans lying prostrate, begging Kansas to play them. "Pretty please Bill, with sugar on top. We'll even kick in a new hair piece!" Seems kind of unbecoming. It would be fun for basketball fans in the Sunflower State. No doubt. But don't beg. Keep winning and you will force their hand. Eventually you will make it where it will be profitable for Kansas and they will want to play.

Casey I wonder if you feel the same way about MU's refusal to play MSU?

No there's no obligation for the MU's and KU's to play their D1 interstate rivals. But it certainly seems kind of chickenhearted not to do so. Not to mention that those interstate games would generate great interest throughout the state.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 1st, 2013, 1:10 pm

glm38 wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I don't really have a problem with Coach Self's stance. This isn't charity. It is D1 basketball, big boy stuff. I don't think KU owes Wichita State anything. I have read all the teeth gnashing on shockernet and what has honestly turned into many Shocker fans lying prostrate, begging Kansas to play them. "Pretty please Bill, with sugar on top. We'll even kick in a new hair piece!" Seems kind of unbecoming. It would be fun for basketball fans in the Sunflower State. No doubt. But don't beg. Keep winning and you will force their hand. Eventually you will make it where it will be profitable for Kansas and they will want to play.

No there's no obligation for the MU's and KU's to play their D1 interstate rivals. But it certainly seems kind of chickenhearted not to do so. Not to mention that those interstate games would generate great interest throughout the state.

But, where do you draw the line. If MU plays MSU, then are they expected to play SEMO, SLU, Truman State, etc, etc? In the state of Illinois, there are something like 13 D1 programs. Is it chickenhearted of UIUC to not play them all in basketball?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby unipanther99 » February 1st, 2013, 1:11 pm

I'm not sure if Alford said it, but he was a big proponent for keeping the old home and home series going with both Drake and UNI, often saying those games helped prepare his team for life on the road in the Big Ten.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 1st, 2013, 1:32 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
glm38 wrote:

But, where do you draw the line. If MU plays MSU, then are they expected to play SEMO, SLU, Truman State, etc, etc? In the state of Illinois, there are something like 13 D1 programs. Is it chickenhearted of UIUC to not play them all in basketball?

Good point Bulldog. Mizzou people tell me this quite a bit. "Then we'd have to play SLU, UMKC, SEMO, and so forth." While I definitely think that we are more worthy of a home and home than any other program in the state of Missouri, I won't beg for it. In time we will be good enough to warrant a series based on our own play. And maybe by that point they will be garbage and we won't even want to play them. In any case we don't need to play them to justify anything. Bottome line: I will never get on my knees and beg a BCS school. It gives them all the power.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby COUTEAU » February 1st, 2013, 1:52 pm

UK would never play Louisville, either.
Then the NCAA had them paired up in a regional, to collide, if both advanced that far.
Now, it's a regular event.
Same will happen, perhaps, even this season.
NCAA, is good at creating ironic events, come tourney time.
SHOX, if this is to be, needs to take full advantage of that opportunity.
I, for one, will be cheering for SHOX, if this scenario, comes to pass.

MVC
MVC
MVC

GO ACES
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball