Shockers vs Platanus occidentalis

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers vs Platanus occidentalis

Postby sycamorestateofmind » January 30th, 2013, 11:15 am

isumvc1 wrote:
pafan wrote:
isumvc1 wrote:But if we win at Drake (and that will NOT be easy, you've seen how we played @ SIU & @ ILS) then the CU game has the potential to be a 9000+ crowd and we haven't see that many people in Hulman Center for an ISU BB game in eons I'd guess.

Like when Tony Hulman was still living?

I kid, I kid. But seriously. Probably during Royce Waltman's time as coach?

I would guess either 2005 or 2006, IU played at ISU in 2005 and then Purdue played at ISU in 2006. I am almost certain the IU at ISU game would have drawn more fans than the Purdue at ISU game from 2006.

The game vs. IU was a much bigger draw and it was near a sellout. The Purdue game drew a good crowd but not near as good as the IU crowd.

The crowd 2 years ago vs. MSU - blackout was a pretty good crowd. Kelly drew the and 1 at the end to win it.

Other than that - sellouts - big crowds have been few and very far between.
sycamorestateofmind
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SycamoreBLUE02 » January 30th, 2013, 11:23 am

I believe the last sell out was the IU game back in 2005. We have had several games recently with over 8,000 in attendance the last one i believe was 2011 when Missouri State came to town and Jake Kelly hit the game winning shot and free throw with under a second to play. This town, for reasons that are often argued on our own board, just doesn't come out for ISU games. Having said that, we do have one of the smallest market in the valley with a population of less than 60,000 in Terre Haute and very low populated areas surrounding the city. Terre Haute has one of the highest rates of poverty in the state. It would be great to get the crowd regulars increased, but just not sure what it will take.....hell Indiana State didn't start selling out home games until late in Larry Bird's senior season. That ought to say something!
SycamoreBLUE02
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby CFA Jay » February 6th, 2013, 11:39 am

C0|db|00ded wrote:http://espn.go.com/espn3/event/_/id/745785/men-college-basketball/indiana-state-vs-wichita-state

"The thing that Wichita State is so good at -- probably better than any team in our league -- is when they smell some blood in the water, they hit another level of energy," Bradley coach Geno Ford said. "The crowd is a significant part of it. This is as good of a college atmosphere as you'll play in."

"I've got two tremendously talented players that play the same position that are as different as night and day," Marshall said. "Cotton is a guy that's been around a little more and he probably does it a little more to my liking. But man, that stroke that Nick's got is beautiful. I've just got to find a way to utilize both of their talents in the best way possible."

T

...:cool:

Is this still true?

T

...:cool:
CFA Jay
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby jwa123 » February 6th, 2013, 7:28 pm

I think I am confused. How are these schools beating WSU? None of them have the money to put into their bball programs like WSU. ISUb in particular is but a poor pauper compared to the gold bar largesse that WSU has commanded from it's faithful. This is hard to comprehend.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shoxrox » February 6th, 2013, 7:32 pm

jwa123 wrote:I think I am confused. How are these schools beating WSU? None of them have the money to put into their bball programs like WSU. ISUb in particular is but a poor pauper compared to the gold bar largesse that WSU has commanded from it's faithful. This is hard to comprehend.

How was Illinois State picked 2nd?
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jwa123 » February 6th, 2013, 9:01 pm

shoxrox wrote:
jwa123 wrote:I think I am confused. How are these schools beating WSU? None of them have the money to put into their bball programs like WSU. ISUb in particular is but a poor pauper compared to the gold bar largesse that WSU has commanded from it's faithful. This is hard to comprehend.

How was Illinois State picked 2nd?

Illinois State has been disappointing this season no doubt. My friends tell me our new coach is building a culture of structure, accountability and discipline and it takes time. I didn't realize there was a lack of structure, accountability and discipline but it seems to me the new way of doing things has destroyed this season. Was Illinois State over rated? Perhaps but on the other hand an 0 - 6 start and sputtering ever since shouldn't be either.

I know you mean't this as an insult to me but unfortunately you are right and I couldn't agree more. Perhaps we are spending too much on our growing football program.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball