Missouri State @ UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State @ UNI

Postby uniftw » February 6th, 2013, 8:47 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:No, you can easily say they weren't that impressive because they weren't. UNI had a horrible night shooting as well, but it wasn't from anything the Bears were doing, UNI was getting the shots they wanted, they just weren't falling. Sonnen isn't gonna go 1-6 from 3 again when at least 4 of the looks were pretty much unguarded. It was the first game UNI has won when shooting under 30% from 3 (only the 2nd under 35%). We shoot closer to average and that's a 20 point margin.

MSU, on the other hand, was struggling to get any kind of look and had to rely on a lot of late shot clock desperation shots as they rarely got good looks. I was expecting some flashes from the hype I have heard, but didn't see much. They pretty much looked flustered and confused by UNI's defense and never had any rhythm. Thurman looked like he was trying to force just to get some shots off, Marshall looked like he was over his head, Scheer got outplayed by UNI's freshman SG, Wilson showed some good hops and bad brains.

MSU had a lead, but it never felt like they were threatening to pull away, it was more a matter of whether UNI would ever hit any of their shots. Once they started to, they pulled away.

What a biased post. So you shoot like horse shat on your home court and it had nothing to do with our defense; we shoot poorly and it's about your defense. We typically use the shot clock and while it does lend to a number of forced shots, I saw plenty of wide open shots missed by the Bears and UNI both. It was a game a veteran team playing on their home court and struggling to stay out of the playin round better win against a team as young and inexperienced as the Bears.That was the first time 5 of the Bears ever played against UNI's defensive style and it does take some familiarity to adjust to what UNI does on that end, so yeah there were some ugly moments offensively for the Bears. Nothing new or earth shattering there.

We shot terrible but still led for about 75% of the game and I liked most of the physical matchups I was seeing on the court. Right now all I care about is defending home court, we do that for our last 3 games and we will see where everything shakes out for the tourney. If not, I still have only seen one team really pull away from us on the court since conference play has begun, so I am really not to worried about closing that gap with another year of experience.

UNI shot worse last night than I have ever seen and it had almost zero to do with the defense. Sonnen, before last night I haven't looked today, was 3rd in the nation in 3pt % at 49% on the season...think about that Prior to last night he had taken 120 3's on the season and made 49% of them. Most of them were much heavier defended than any of the ones he took last night and he started the game 0-5. At least 4 of his shots were WIDE OPEN...I mean WIDE open. He shoots his regular % last night and the game plays out like it did we win by 20.

You led by an average of 1.5 ppg throughout the game. You were never more than 1 possession ahead for more than 1:07 seconds....and that was a 5 point lead at 14-9, which was cut to 14-11 and you never led by that again.

UNI played by far it's worst offensive game of the season (yes, I'm talking about the WSU game as well) and we won by 12 and I never doubted we would win.

MSU fans have a lot of confidence for a team as bad as they are.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TNMSUFAN » February 7th, 2013, 8:11 am

uniftw wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:MSU fans have a lot of confidence for a team as bad as they are.

And UNI fans have a lot for a team that is exactly 1 game ahead of the bad team that starts 4 frosh
Last edited by TNMSUFAN on February 7th, 2013, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » February 7th, 2013, 8:12 am

"As bad as we are", we are only one game behind you in the standings and have finished even or ahead of you the last two years. You can only live off the past so long. I give your team credit [ something obviously some of your fan base conversely has trouble with] they hung in there and found a way to win an ugly game at home in a must win situation. Veteran teams do that. But your what if's are just plain stupid, you can reverse the statement and it's as true for MSU as UNI. You won a closely contested game on your home court with a veteran lineup playing against a very young team; you're one game ahead of us in the standings and fighting with 5 other teams to avoid the playin round of the MVC tourney. You were supposed to be a top level team this year but instead you are stuck in the middle of the mediocre mess that is made up of 6 of the Valley teams right now. That's just the way it is .
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TNMSUFAN » February 7th, 2013, 8:54 am

Conference only team stats through 12 games

Scoring offense
7. MSU - 62.7
9. UNI - 61.7

FG %
3. UNI - .453
4. MSU - .440

3pt %
2. MSU - .373
4. UNI - .357
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 7th, 2013, 10:25 am

TNMSUFAN wrote:
uniftw wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:MSU fans have a lot of confidence for a team as bad as they are.

And UNI fans have a lot for a team that is exactly 1 game ahead of the bad team that starts 4 frosh

I was debating on whether to respond to that line or not. I can see potential through the growing pains.

UNI fans have a lot of arrogance for basically one Sweet Sixteen run, a decent women's volleyball program, and some football success in the past. Methinks in a decade they will pine for the memories from 2000-2010 whilst everyone else has moved on. But that is just conjecture on my part.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » February 7th, 2013, 11:02 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:UNI fans have a lot of arrogance for several years of consistent NCAA Tourney berths and 5 straigh 20+ win seasons, one of the top non-Big #/Pac-12 women's volleyball programs, and near complete Gateway/MVFC domination success in the past. Methinks in a decade they will pine for the memories from 2000-2010 whilst everyone else has moved on. But that is just conjecture on my part.

FIFY. Casey, please point to something other than women's basketball for Missouri St that UNI should be jealous of? Your program probably should have a few more NCAA appearances under it's belt (between being shafted by the committee or letting your only recent conference champion lose an autobid) but don't even begin to try and downplay UNI's athletic success over the years. We had plenty of growing pains in there as well and may not be at the level of success that we were just a few years ago but please don't try to tell me that you wouldn't trade all three programs combined right now. You have continously complained for a long time about some of the Bears woes and even if UNI has dipped these past 2 years it does not look all that likely to continue.

Let's also not forget that our "arrogance" is extending from the fact that a certain MSU poster, on this board and others, was bragging about the surplus of MSU talent that was going to carry them to an easy victory over the Panthers and then it went out and fell flat on it's face. None of us Panther fans are touting this as a great team who should've rolled the Bears like we did Drake, Bradley and SIU, but we recognize that neither team played well and yet UNI came out with a 'W' because it played a better game on offense and especially on defense. If someone is going to try to get under the skin of other's then they should be prepared to face some facts when their silly predictions fall short.

UNI posters have already admitted that our team did not play well at all and was rather disappointing to watch, the Bears were worse though. It's simple as that and the scoreboard and stats show it. I'm not sure why this conversation has devolved beyond that. Both teams played like crap, we are all aware that they can and will play better, but it still remains that they didn't on Tuesday and the better team in that game won. Seriously, how is there anything else to argue here?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby agrinut » February 7th, 2013, 1:45 pm

PantherSigEp wrote: I'm not sure why this conversation has devolved beyond that. Both teams played like crap, we are all aware that they can and will play better, but it still remains that they didn't on Tuesday and the better team in that game won. Seriously, how is there anything else to argue here?

it is a message board, you are to biased to have an objective point of view (as am I). Fact remains that we each hold our school in higher regard that the other. I will take my Bears over your Panthers and you the opposite. What are message boards for again? Congrats to the Panthers on the win, good luck until you arrive in Springfield.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball