Missouri State to Sun Belt Conference?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State to Sun Belt Conference?

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » April 19th, 2014, 2:59 pm

The Sun Belt?......really?.......REALLY???
A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » April 19th, 2014, 5:33 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Ricardo del Rio wrote:Way too much logic.

MSU is engaged in an emotional process, not a rational process.

When emotion is running amok, all one can do is get out of the way. Logic has no standing in the matter.

Really ?? A couple posters on a chat board get all irrational about MSU moving to another conference despite repeated statements by the AD and President to the contrary, and that constitutes your basis for being an expert on the "process" we're involved in. Come on RdR , you usually stick to dissing us on actual misplays, this isn't even real. I know it's off season, but wait for something that has some legs.

Not to mention all the other "informed" opinions about what we need to do to be competitive in the MVC, the most ridiculous stance coming from uniftw who started this thread in the 1st place, not someone from MSU. Over the last few years I've often noted the high degree of success UNI has been able to achieve in a number of significant sports like MBB,VB, FB and recently even WBB, but don't try to act like you're at a level beyond what you are . You're attendance for basketball is putrid, so much so you built a D-2 size arena so it wouldn't look so bad, and this is during your glory period. My god we've had probably 10 years where we drew more average attendance to Women's basketball since we've been in the Valley than you do for your men's team. And how about those Baseball Panthers , oops. See anybody can play that " throw a slam at another school game" and find plenty of ammunition if that's what you want . But at least if you're going to try to play that game, make it real stuff, not something you contrived off a couple posters delusions about what MSU intends to do. WSU posters are playing with house money and a fully loaded gun with extra bullets in their belt; you [uniftw] unwisely are firing caps, so I think I would just focus on your own program and stick to things you know, cause you don't have a clue about MSU and what we intend to do or how we will do it. And while I will applaud your success in a number of sports over the last decade or so, I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming a place beyond your contemporaries.

There have been plenty of your brethren on this fine forum, who have stated that MSU is giving strong consideration to a move to the Sun Belt Conference so that it can obtain D-1 football status.

If this is true and MSU expects positive financial results, then I would not put the proposed action in the rational category.

I read your post above and frankly, it is mostly babble to me.

If you expect posters to post opinions about their programs only and not about other school programs, then you are living in some far away la-la land.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » April 19th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:If you expect posters to post opinions about their programs only and not about other school programs, then you are living in some far away la-la land.

Never came close to saying that to you; simply said that if you want to act like you have some insight into what the thought process for MSU is, you might want to refer to what the President and AD said instead of what a couple posters pull out their arse.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » April 19th, 2014, 9:01 pm

rlh04d wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The 10-11 team is more debatable. But, the bottom line is they became the only regular season MVC champs in forever to miss the tournament. Every team to win a regular season title made it to the tournament but them. That's a very hard pill to swallow for a MSU fan. Sure, part of it was their own doing, but the MVC was a bit down that year, failing to support MSU in a way it had supported everyone else. It can leave fans really bitter about a conference, the fact that it was there to help everyone, but when you needed the help suddenly, the conference let you down. Not saying those feelings are justified, but I think (at least for the MSU admins), there's bitter feelings about that.

It's the MVC's fault that Missouri State scheduled a 201 non-con SOS and still went 8-4 against it, including 0-3 against RPI top 100 teams?

I think you're looking at this backwards: the only reason MSU won the regular season title is due to the Valley being down. That wasn't a great MSU team that got robbed by a down Valley. It was a good MSU team that shot themselves in the foot in the noncon and the MVC wasn't good enough to bail them out of the situation they put themselves in. But you have to look at the individual team before you look at the conference. If the team isn't controlling what they can control, it's their fault.

MSU's administration let their team down in 2010-11. And they've learned their lesson since then, as their worst non-con SOS since that year has been 109.

I'm sure there are bitter feelings about it from their admin. It's easier to blame others. But Wichita State and Indiana State didn't tell MSU to schedule 8 150+ RPI teams out of conference.

Creighton missed the tourney in 2008-09 after a share of the regular season title. Creighton that year had a much better resume than MSU the next year, too.

I agree with you that our crummy OOC scheduling was costly that year. I don't really agree that the Valley was that much "down" that year though. I thought MSU and WSU were both very good teams that year. WSU was very talented probably more so than MSU and definitely deeper.

That MSU team was tough and smart. And IMO that team would have won the Valley a lot of years and would have been runner up this year. A couple of devastating injuries destroyed our depth that year. Without those injuries it's very possible we would have won the Valley tourney and made a run. All just conjecture though.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 20th, 2014, 12:37 am

glm38 wrote:I agree with you that our crummy OOC scheduling was costly that year. I don't really agree that the Valley was that much "down" that year though. I thought MSU and WSU were both very good teams that year. WSU was very talented probably more so than MSU and definitely deeper.

That MSU team was tough and smart. And IMO that team would have won the Valley a lot of years and would have been runner up this year. A couple of devastating injuries destroyed our depth that year. Without those injuries it's very possible we would have won the Valley tourney and made a run. All just conjecture though.

Definitely possible. And WSU did well in the NIT that year, so we obviously had a good team.

Valley overall only had three top 100 RPI teams that year, though. Half the Valley was outside of the top 150. Overall, pretty similar to this year, which most would say is a down year, even though WSU was obviously very good and ISUb was good.

And I'm not just bagging on MSU, I just don't think they were really snubbed. WSU also scheduled like crap that year and missed nearly every opportunity.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 20th, 2014, 6:07 am

rlh04d wrote:
glm38 wrote:I agree with you that our crummy OOC scheduling was costly that year. I don't really agree that the Valley was that much "down" that year though. I thought MSU and WSU were both very good teams that year. WSU was very talented probably more so than MSU and definitely deeper.

Definitely possible. And WSU did well in the NIT that year, so we obviously had a good team.

Valley overall only had three top 100 RPI teams that year, though. Half the Valley was outside of the top 150. Overall, pretty similar to this year, which most would say is a down year, even though WSU was obviously very good and ISUb was good.

And I'm not just bagging on MSU, I just don't think they were really snubbed. WSU also scheduled like crap that year and missed nearly every opportunity.

That was the year that WSU lost 3 OOC games…One to a Sweet 16 team (that lost to the eventual National Champion), one to a Final Four team and one to the Nat Champs. No other relevant teams on the OOC.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » April 20th, 2014, 8:55 am

Prior to the season starting MSU lost 3 of their top 8 players; Pickens who had started the year before as a frosh, Porter who was first injured and then left school, and McFarland who had academic problems and dropped to D-2. As a result freshman Scheer and the enigmatic 6'11 Patterson were all we had left as reasonable reserves. Injuries and defections are a part of college sports, but given how close that team came, it does represent one of the more frustrating years impacted by such for MSU.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 20th, 2014, 1:50 pm

rlh04d wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The 10-11 team is more debatable. But, the bottom line is they became the only regular season MVC champs in forever to miss the tournament. Every team to win a regular season title made it to the tournament but them. That's a very hard pill to swallow for a MSU fan. Sure, part of it was their own doing, but the MVC was a bit down that year, failing to support MSU in a way it had supported everyone else. It can leave fans really bitter about a conference, the fact that it was there to help everyone, but when you needed the help suddenly, the conference let you down. Not saying those feelings are justified, but I think (at least for the MSU admins), there's bitter feelings about that.

It's the MVC's fault that Missouri State scheduled a 201 non-con SOS and still went 8-4 against it, including 0-3 against RPI top 100 teams?

I think you're looking at this backwards: the only reason MSU won the regular season title is due to the Valley being down. That wasn't a great MSU team that got robbed by a down Valley. It was a good MSU team that shot themselves in the foot in the noncon and the MVC wasn't good enough to bail them out of the situation they put themselves in. But you have to look at the individual team before you look at the conference. If the team isn't controlling what they can control, it's their fault.

MSU's administration let their team down in 2010-11. And they've learned their lesson since then, as their worst non-con SOS since that year has been 109.

I'm sure there are bitter feelings about it from their admin. It's easier to blame others. But Wichita State and Indiana State didn't tell MSU to schedule 8 150+ RPI teams out of conference.

Creighton missed the tourney in 2008-09 after a share of the regular season title. Creighton that year had a much better resume than MSU the next year, too.

Oh make no mistake, I'm more or less in agreement with you about their resume. I'm trying to describe the likely perspective of the MSU admins, the ones making the big decisions. From their perspective, they don't care about minute things like RPI and SoS. All they see is no NCAA bids in their pocket.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » April 20th, 2014, 2:45 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Prior to the season starting MSU lost 3 of their top 8 players; Pickens who had started the year before as a frosh, Porter who was first injured and then left school, and McFarland who had academic problems and dropped to D-2. As a result freshman Scheer and the enigmatic 6'11 Patterson were all we had left as reasonable reserves. Injuries and defections are a part of college sports, but given how close that team came, it does represent one of the more frustrating years impacted by such for MSU.

I had forgotten about McFarland. I was remembering Pickens and Porter. All 3 were very promising young players. None of the 3 would have started but any one of them would have been huge off the bench. We played 6 players almost exclusively that year by necessity. They just wore down by the time the Vallley tourney started.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 20th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Wufan wrote:That was the year that WSU lost 3 OOC games…One to a Sweet 16 team (that lost to the eventual National Champion), one to a Final Four team and one to the Nat Champs. No other relevant teams on the OOC.

Yep. We basically made it so our entire schedule came down to three games and lost them all.

Those ended up being three very good to great teams, but still. Didn't give ourselves enough opportunities and didn't take advantage of the ones we had.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball