#12 Wichita State @ #18 Northern Iowa, 3 PM Saturday, ESPN2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: #12 Wichita State @ #18 Northern Iowa, 3 PM Saturday, ES

Postby BCPanther » January 30th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Back to officiating....

The league has actually done an OK job of getting decent crews for this game the last 5 yrs.

2010-
@Wichita-Thornley, Shaw, Higgins
@ CF- Thornley, Higgins, Eades

2011-
@Wichita-Thornley, Janssen, Kissinger
@ CF- Lusk, Harris, Oglesby

2012-
@CF- Higgins, Moore, Heimerman
@Wichita- Thornley, McCall, Moore

2013-
@Wichita- Stuart, Eades, Whitehead
@ CF- Simmons, Davis, Janssen--woof. Thats ugly

2014-
@Wichita-Stuart, Daily, John Moore
@ CF--Lusk, Steed, Davis--That's horrendous and it would be shame to get a crew like that tomorrow.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » January 30th, 2015, 2:41 pm

BCPanther wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:I'm predicting Higgins, Kissinger, and Eades.

Sign. Me. Up.

If they send Kissinger, WSU wins as Tuttle will be fouled out. Kipp has something against Seth.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » January 30th, 2015, 2:51 pm

uniftw wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
Play Angry wrote:This thread is way, way too civilized.

There's tons of mutual respect between these programs. You don't have the giant douche/entitlement factor of Creighton fans and the inferiority/little man complex of Illinois State fans.

Two coaches that do it the right way and are humble, good people. Two rosters that play hard and would kill to win, but won't take a cheap shot to do it.

Both buildings (and Scottrade, for that matter) will be hostile, but it won't be dirty and nasty. This is turning into a refreshing rivalry...

This is true.

In my trips to the MVC tournament I stayed away from WSU fans at first. I thought of them like CU fans...and their shockernet posters.

I finally just talked to a group of them about my third year there and it was amazing how quickly that fan base grew on me. Yes, they are annoying with the "Nothing you do compared to anything we do" bullshit on message boards, but they are a good time in person.

Unlike CU fans...they were/are the CU of the earth online and in person

Not trying to start anything here, but you would agree though that based on what WSU has done in the last 4-5 years that WSU fan smack is being backed up with the play on the court? I mean any fanbase would. And quite honestly, this place could be a whole lot worse, especially if some other fanbases get a taste of success and don't know how to handle it.

UNI has had a very good and consistent program for a while now too. Clearly, they are the 2nd best in the Valley. I too agree about the CU and Illinois State fanbases. They are deplorable. The thing that sticks out is Illinois State. I mean a lot of their fans are douches and they haven't even experienced success in nearly 2 decades. I'm happy with the way WSU and UNI have elevated their programs and that each fanbase respects each other. I can definitely take solace in that if we were to lose tomorrow.

Should be a fun one. The Valley will get some play tomorrow.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 30th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Trapped in CA wrote:The may through Bennet Koch at Cotton for a spell, if nothing else for a change of pace and 5 fouls. That said, I wouldn't wager much on that plan unless we are playing zone.

nm.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 30th, 2015, 8:45 pm

BCPanther wrote:Two coaches that do it the right way and are humble, good people.

I agree with everything you said in the original post except this little nugget. Marshall is not humble and we like it that way!

Go Shox!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 30th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Championz wrote:
Not trying to start anything here, but you would agree though that based on what WSU has done in the last 4-5 years that WSU fan smack is being backed up with the play on the court? I mean any fanbase would. And quite honestly, this place could be a whole lot worse, especially if some other fanbases get a taste of success and don't know how to handle it.

This was before WSU was good.

I'm talking the old Valleytalk days - I'm thinking subgod (I think) and what not
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » January 31st, 2015, 12:33 am

How far back are we talking? WSU was pretty good from 2004-2006. They had the down years after Turgeon left. But still, WSU was at least relevant even in the mid-2000's.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » January 31st, 2015, 1:37 am

Championz wrote:How far back are we talking? WSU was pretty good from 2004-2006. They had the down years after Turgeon left. But still, WSU was at least relevant even in the mid-2000's.

ESPN standings go back to 01-02

01-02 WSU finished 5th 1 game ahead of 8-10 UNI
02-03 WSU finished tied for 3rd 5 games ahead of 7-11 UNI
03-04 WSU finished tied for 2nd with UNI at 12-6
04-05 WSU finished 2nd 1 game ahead of 11-7 UNI
05-06 WSU finished 1st 3 games ahead of 11-7 UNI
06-07 WSU finished 6th 1 game behind 9-9 UNI
07-08 WSU finished 9th 5 games behind 9-9 UNI
08-09 WSU finished tied for 5th 4 games behind 14-4 UNI
09-10 WSU finished 2nd 3 games behind 15-3 UNI
10-11 WSU finished 2nd 4 games ahead of 10-8 UNI
11-12 WSU finished 1st 7 games ahead of 9-9 UNI
12-13 WSU finished 2nd 1 game ahead of 11-7 UNI
13-14 WSU finished 1st 8 games ahead of 10-8 UNI

If you listen to a plurality of UNI fans, you'd think the Panthers were the dominant team over the years, when actually it's quite the opposite. UNI has 1 league title and 1 shared. WSU has 3 titles and played for the title on the last day of the season 2 other times. If the 06-07 team, which was far superior to UNI, hadn't fallen apart (the coach quitting and causing the 07-08 debacle too) the number would be 9-3-1. The Shocks finished 1st or 2nd 8 times in 13 seasons (almost a lock to make that 9 in 14). Pretty dominant if you ask me.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » January 31st, 2015, 9:08 am

If you want to measure dicks and talk smack about conference placing, then go talk smack to some other school that hasnt measured up. UNI has had a winning program for a decade plus, and has 5 NCAA appearances during that time.

A wichita fan digging thru 15 years of league standings to prove some sort of point (?) directed toward UNI is weird and insecure.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » January 31st, 2015, 9:34 am

Seems that moving to the top of The MVC, is mostly cyclical. (exception may only be DRAKE)
It's SHOX turn to be relevant. In a season or two, they'll be just another school, in the middle of the pack, again.

http://www.bbstate.com/conferences/VALLEY/standingshist
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball