Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Postby Dean Wormer » September 25th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
sixth ace wrote:

:Cheers:

We are already buying your MVC allotment of Archmadness tickets from you - what more do you want?

I am not defending an extension for Marty...it seems unwarranted at this point, but from what I saw, UE easily had the second largest contingent in St. Louis this year.

That is has been my argument all along, if they can win, they can generate pretty good fan support, which should equate to money for a winning coach.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » September 26th, 2016, 7:52 am

Respectfully, there is no way their contingent was close to that of ISUr or UNI. It was better than ISUb and the play-in teams, however.

A good number of UE folks drove in for Sunday's game - the number of folks there for Friday and Saturday was not high at all.

The tale of the tape would be revealing w/r/t all-session passes sold by the Aces - if memory serves correctly, it was underwhelming to say the least.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » September 26th, 2016, 10:34 am

Is it really that big of a risk to give up what you have? Cause what you have, frankly, isn't worth anything. Conference finishes, post-season appearances, and fan attendance all support that. You act as if it's a risk, but there is nothing to lose.

People throw out "but look at MSU." Well. Did Evansville win a league championship in the last 6 years? Cause MSU did.

Worst case, you get a coach that is worse than Marty. And he has a .440 conference record for 4 years and you can him and try again. Is that really worse than a .511 conference record with zero years of coming close to competing for the championship, in 9 years?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 26th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Born2Shock wrote:
uniftw wrote:
PurpleAcesFootball wrote:We're just over here embracing mediocrity... or should I say Martyocrity.

9 years
141-143 against D-1 competition
0 postseason appearances that didn't cost $$$
Out of 9 years, the lowest 3 SOS years have been the last 3 (self-preservation, IMO)

The self-preservation statement is my opinion. The rest are facts. You have to try really hard to explain those away. It just ends up sound like those directTv Settlers commercials.

But when I say it....

...youre a big meanie?

I mean....yeah.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 26th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:
PurpleAcesFootball wrote:We're just over here embracing mediocrity... or should I say Martyocrity.

9 years
141-143 against D-1 competition
0 postseason appearances that didn't cost $$$
Out of 9 years, the lowest 3 SOS years have been the last 3 (self-preservation, IMO)

The self-preservation statement is my opinion. The rest are facts. You have to try really hard to explain those away. It just ends up sound like those directTv Settlers commercials.

But when I say it....

:Cheers:

The mostly positive response on their board pretty well sums up

a) why the extension is taking place to begin with
b) why they don't belong in a D1 league that has any interest in being relevant

Quit being a meanie. :buddies:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 26th, 2016, 12:57 pm

bleach wrote:Evansville should be put on NCAA probation and banned from the tournament as long as he's there for doing this.

That's pretty much what this contract is.
SubGod22 wrote:Can we donate money to help Evansville move to the OVC where they might be able to consistently fight for 3rd?

I'm in for a few bucks. That probably makes me one of the highest donors at UE, right?
acepurple84 wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:Can we donate money to help Evansville move to the OVC where they might be able to consistently fight for 3rd?

Or you can move to the Sun belt.

Rather have MSU.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » September 26th, 2016, 2:44 pm

In the past 5 season, UE has been the 2nd, 5th, 9th, 4th, and 3rd seed in St. Louis. It is not as though they haven't been competitive in the conference lately. Perhaps that would not be enough with the current situation at other schools, but given UE's resources, not I'm sure it is realistic to expect that much more. I know there are some with a fetish for knocking on little UE, but there are plenty of other schools that deserve it more based on recent success.

As far as the extension; who knows? Very few. If it was a three year extension with a 50% pay raise, it was a bad idea. If it was a one or two year extensio with a nominal raise and an easy release clause for UE, it was a good idea to help get through this recruiting cycle and see how next year goes. For sure no one here knows so discussing it is a futile exercise.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » September 26th, 2016, 3:26 pm

havoc wrote:In the past 5 season, UE has been the 2nd, 5th, 9th, 4th, and 3rd seed in St. Louis. It is not as though they haven't been competitive in the conference lately. Perhaps that would not be enough with the current situation at other schools, but given UE's resources, not I'm sure it is realistic to expect that much more. I know there are some with a fetish for knocking on little UE, but there are plenty of other schools that deserve it more based on recent success.

As far as the extension; who knows? Very few. If it was a three year extension with a 50% pay raise, it was a bad idea. If it was a one or two year extensio with a nominal raise and an easy release clause for UE, it was a good idea to help get through this recruiting cycle and see how next year goes. For sure no one here knows so discussing it is a futile exercise.
Over that time UE has probably (I haven't looked) had the second most All Conference members.

Is it acceptable for a program to have that kind of all conference recognition by not get a single post season bid of any kind.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » September 26th, 2016, 3:52 pm

Not excited or pissed about it as an Aces fan for 40 years now.

I think a change would create a short lived buzzed in Evansville but it can go dreadfully wrong like it did when UE hired Merfeld. I admit I was positive at the time of the hiring of Merfeld but it was solely based on the thought he must be able to recruit well to win at Hampton and Coach well to beat Iowa State a #2 seed.

Well he did bring in some good basketball players but unfortunately they weren't very good citizens and got ran off campus. Then it went down fast and Marty took over with very little. The rebuild was not fast and that is what is the concerning part where UE currently sits.

While UE hasn't won a MVC Title we have been competitive the last 5 years and have a decent amount of quality wins. This season I don't expect much from the roster but maybe the recruits coming in surprise. If not it will be time for Marty to move on after Blake finishes in the 2017-2018 season. At that point Marty will have proved that he reached his ceiling at UE. If it is time to move on hopefully UE brings in an up tempo coach as I think the fans would enjoy a 87-83 game win or lose more than a 57-53 game win or lose.

In the meantime please have the Koch Brothers send a blank check to the AD as I am sure he can upgrade the Head Coach and Recruiting Budget with the nearly limitless funding.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » September 26th, 2016, 3:57 pm

UEACES80 wrote:In the meantime please have the Koch Brothers send a blank check to the AD as I am sure he can upgrade the Head Coach and Recruiting Budget with the nearly limitless funding.

I have a feeling Adam, Jake and Bennett DGAF about Evansville's program.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball