HOW TO START OVER

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: HOW TO START OVER

Postby Stickboy46 » December 7th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Drakey wrote:CDizzle: Your contempt for Drake is obvious, but you really don't have any idea what you are talking about. I'm not sure that anybody would think East Tennessee State id a better job than Drake other than you. Forbes base salary was less than half of what Giacoletti was making at Drake. They play in one of the weakest conferences in the country. (Southern) I agree that he is in a better position NOW, but that is because he recruited a bunch of good players and is a good coach who has made the team good in two years. Des Moines is the third largest market in the Valley I believe, and you can't really count Chicago as larger since they have no interest in college sports, especially mid-major sports. It would take no time at all for Drake to be among the attendance leaders in the Valley if they were to put a good product on the floor. It only took a few weeks into the last good season Drake had to cause every game to be a sellout for the remainder of the season. If Drake had played in a 12,000 seat arena, they would have filled that too. Des Moines is certainly a more attractive city than Wichita, and Drake is by far a better school by any objective standard. All that is missing is a basketball coach, and an AD that can hire a basketball coach. Drake is the most similar school in the Valley to Creighton. Their basketball programs and attendance were almost identical until the mid 90's. Their is no reason Drake can't do what Creighton did if the president of the university has any commitment to do so.

In the 4 years or so it would take to build Drake back to the level of ETSU, Forbes will have a P5 offer. His name was already getting thrown around this off season and it will only grown. As far as Des Moines versus Wichita? That's in the eye of the beholder. I personally would never ever consider living in Des Moines. Wichita is nothing amazing, but a really great town. That's besides the point here. We aren't comparing Des Moines to Wichita or Drake to Wichita. We are comparing Forbes career path by staying at ETSU vs jumping to Drake. I don't see any way possible that a jump to Drake improves his career path. It can only set it back. The support just isnt there and Forbes is already on a path to a P5 gig.

To be clear ... Drake would be dumb to not have him near the top of their list and at least reach out to him. I just don't see it happening.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » December 7th, 2016, 2:42 pm

If that list of ridiculousness is "knowing what you're talking about" then I guess I'm happy I'm full of it.

I have no contempt for Drake, or its fans. In fact, I have given kudos to the Drake fans that exist. That's not an easy road. But it's very obvious that successful Division I athletics and Drake University have gone down very different roads. I understand that as a fan of the school, that's not something you're going to want to hear, or likely agree with, but it's the real world.

Drake has 1 20-win season and 3 total winning seasons in the last 30 years. I'm not trying to be mean to fans of that team. Like I said, the fact that you folks still exist is a testament to your fanhood. But it doesn't mean the school should keep supporting DI athletics, either.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » December 7th, 2016, 7:54 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:IMO, Drake would be more successful trying to emulate Grinnell than UK or GU. Both in that I think D2 or D3 is a better idea, and that even if not, running a gimmicky scheme might be their best way to attract talent above their current level. You might actually be able to find some decent talent that would want to play a fun run-and-gun style, or 40 minutes of hell, or something. D+ wasn't attracting anyone.

I agree that Drake needs to hire a coach who can think outside the box. Somebody who's willing to take some chances and will play a style of basketball that fans want to see. Nothing worse than losing 75% of the time + boring style of play.

Unfortunately, our AD doesn't seem interested in anybody capable of thinking outside the box.

I've always thought Drake/Loyola/Evansville should hire Duggar.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » December 7th, 2016, 8:29 pm

I never indicated that Forbes would even consider Drake now. He will be at a major conference school in a year or two. But when Drake hired Giacoletti, I would have to think he would have jumped at the job. He is from Iowa, and the job pays double what he got paid for going to East Tennessee. I have followed basketball fro quite awhile, and I don't off the top of my head remember ever hearing of East Tennessee until they hire Forbes. I just lament the fact that our incompetent AD apparently never even tried to hire him. Drake was not a terrible job 4 years ago. As you may recall, Phelps had the stop rated recruiting class in the Valley twice, he just couldn't coach. Now I'm not sure who we could attract.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » December 8th, 2016, 11:09 am

Who is Duggar?
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » December 8th, 2016, 11:45 am

UEACES80 wrote:Who is Duggar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duggar_Baucom
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby UEACES80 » December 8th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Thanks, I knew of the VMI style of play "Loot and Shoot" but had no idea who was the Coach.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » December 8th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Whether you personally have heard of ETSU is irrelevant. ETSU is a much better place to start building your head coaching resume than Drake. It is in a league with like teams, so a quality coach will elevate his program above the others. Drake is not in a league with like teams. So even a great coach has a pretty solid shot of having a team that is not competitive for 4 years and ending his head coaching career.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » December 8th, 2016, 12:59 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Who is Duggar?

His record is brutal.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » December 8th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Drake should reach out to Steve Merfeld. Why?

1) He's at least heard of Drake University.
2) I feel kinda bad for him, being banished to Omaha and all.
3) We need more coaches in this conference who have been fired from other members. Barry and Porter aren't enough.

(I'm only sort of kidding - I really did like Merf's system)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball