Can Doug McDermott win the Naismith Player of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » December 16th, 2012, 12:28 pm

I was really impressive with McDermott's 34 point performance last night against Cal and he looked every bit like a national player of the year candidate. I thought it would be interesting to review his statistics against BCS opponents and see how strong an argument could be made for him.

link: The MVC Report - Can McDermott win National Player of the Year honors?
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can Doug McDermott win the Naismith Player of the Year?

Postby TheShock » December 16th, 2012, 1:59 pm

I always thought Doug McDermott was a top 20 type player, however I didn't feel he was a national player of the year candidate. After watching him twice this year, including the game last night, I'm calling my broker and purchasing stock in DM. I believe he has a great chance to win the 'Naismith Player of the Year' award. Good for him, good for Creighton and good for the Valley.
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redbird23 » December 16th, 2012, 5:37 pm

No, he is one of the best 3-4 players in the NCAA, but its the MVC a really good mid-major conference, but its no ACC or Big 10. Zeller even though he has a lot of skill to develop will win or possibly Trey Burke just because they are in the Big 10

:dance:
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » December 17th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Redbird23 wrote:No, he is one of the best 3-4 players in the NCAA, but its the MVC a really good mid-major conference, but its no ACC or Big 10. Zeller even though he has a lot of skill to develop will win or possibly Trey Burke just because they are in the Big 10

Jimmer won like two years ago playing for BYU so there's no reason why McDermott couldn't.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iowactor » December 17th, 2012, 8:30 pm

MVCfans wrote:I was really impressive with McDermott's 34 point performance last night against Cal and he looked every bit like a national player of the year candidate. I thought it would be interesting to review his statistics against BCS opponents and see how strong an argument could be made for him.

Great article. I think a good number on the board of selectors and voting fans will care about how Doug performed against BCS opponents. However, any voter can find reasons to convince themselves *not* to vote for someone. For instance, some will argue CU didn't play the "best" or "enough" BCS teams or CU's conference opponents lacked overall quality. Perhaps NCAA tournament performance will sway other voters. The award is a combination of stats/team wins/media coverage and competition from other candidates. What I like most about Doug is that he is so efficient with the basketball and he gets his numbers within the flow of the offense.
iowactor
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Jet915 » December 17th, 2012, 10:56 pm

In order to Doug to win it, CU will have to run through the conference probably like 15-3 or better and win the MVC tournament. Both of which are probably unlikely.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » December 18th, 2012, 11:37 am

MVCfans wrote:I was really impressive with McDermott's 34 point performance last night against Cal and he looked every bit like a national player of the year candidate. I thought it would be interesting to review his statistics against BCS opponents and see how strong an argument could be made for him.

I think he's the frontrunner right now.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » December 24th, 2012, 1:05 pm

from ESPN:

The Missouri Valley Conference provided this stat: Since Thanksgiving no player has scored as many points (210) and averaged as many (26.3) as Creighton's Doug McDermott. Ladies and gentlemen, McDermott is your current favorite for national player of the year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Kyle » December 24th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Yes, but the odds are stacked against him.

If CU manages to maintain a top 10 ranking and Dougie continues to average 25+, he has a very good shot.

Something tells me CU will hit a February slump like all Mac teams and end the year ranked somewhere close to 20.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 25th, 2012, 11:59 am

I think Doug needs to average 7 or 8 rebounds. He already has a reputation as a soft unathletic PF. Without high rebounding numbers he looks too one dimensional to be POY.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball