It is official: Wichita State has been figured out

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby CBB_Fan » February 2nd, 2013, 5:24 pm

If a team plays Wichita State using a different strategy, their athletic department needs to look into firing their head coach. I'll walk you through it:

1. Play zone. Wichita State's guards think you beat the zone by standing in one place and making s...l...o...w passes.
2. Double/Triple the post. The only worrisome offense players on Wichita State are Hall and Early. Period
3. Put a man on Early and Wiggins whenever they are on the perimeter
4. Pretend Williams and Cotton don't exist.

If you do anything else, you don't deserve to be a D1 head coach. The reason Wichita State has had 3 bad games in a row is because teams have figured out what they need to do to completely take Wichita State's offense out of the picture. Neither Williams nor Cotton are D2 level scoring threats, so teams are essentially playing 5 on 3 most of the time (hence the zone). Armstead sometimes joins them to make it 5 on 2.

Marshall better work his magic, or this slide will continue. UNI is still playing for NIT seeding.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: It is official: Wichita State has been figured out

Postby pafan » February 2nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

5) Get Cleanthony Early disqualified on fouls. Evansville and UNI both managed this.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 2nd, 2013, 5:37 pm

pafan wrote:5) Get Cleanthony Early disqualified on fouls. Evansville and UNI both managed this.

I am not sure about against Evansville, but today he got frustrated by people actually playing defense on him. I think this contributed to his committing stupid fouls today.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CBB_Fan » February 2nd, 2013, 5:39 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I am not sure about against Evansville, but today he got frustrated by people actually playing defense on him. I think this contributed to his committing stupid fouls today.

Yeah, Armstead and Williams were guarding him very tightly. They made absolutely certain he never touched the ball where he could score with it.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 2nd, 2013, 5:40 pm

Probably easier said than done, but when Early has 4 fouls and a minute and a half left, I believe I would save him for offense in these close games.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » February 2nd, 2013, 5:42 pm

WSU is headed for the traditional 9th place finish I predicted.

You simply cannot fake outside scoring over the long haul when the two best 3-pt. shooters and defenders on the team are sidelined with injuries.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ictjay » February 2nd, 2013, 6:36 pm

iSASO wrote:WSU is headed for the traditional 9th place finish I predicted.

You simply cannot fake outside scoring over the long haul when the two best 3-pt. shooters and defenders on the team are sidelined with injuries.

Wessel and Baker??? Dude. Gurantee you Wessel's minutes would have diminished to single digits during Valley play. Baker is most famous for his 3 point shooting in practice.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby iSASO » February 2nd, 2013, 6:48 pm

ictjay wrote:
iSASO wrote:WSU is headed for the traditional 9th place finish I predicted.

Wessel and Baker??? Dude. Gurantee you Wessel's minutes would have diminished to single digits during Valley play. Baker is most famous for his 3 point shooting in practice.

That is your guarantee?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CBB_Fan » February 2nd, 2013, 6:53 pm

ictjay wrote:Wessel and Baker??? Dude. Gurantee you Wessel's minutes would have diminished to single digits during Valley play. Baker is most famous for his 3 point shooting in practice.

Yeah, a guy that 45% from 3 and playing great defense would have gotten single digit minutes. We needed him badly in the last two games.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ictjay » February 2nd, 2013, 6:58 pm

CBB_Fan wrote:
ictjay wrote:Wessel and Baker??? Dude. Gurantee you Wessel's minutes would have diminished to single digits during Valley play. Baker is most famous for his 3 point shooting in practice.

Yeah, a guy that 45% from 3 and playing great defense would have gotten single digit minutes. We needed him badly in the last two games.

Wessel does not play great defense. Slow feet. Look at the opponents he played against. Patsies.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball