Missouri State @ UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Missouri State @ UNI

Postby PantherSigEp » February 5th, 2013, 11:34 am

The Bears come to the McLeod Center tonight to try and figure out UNI's recent home form. Tip-off is set for 7 pm in Cedar Falls.

Bears fans, I know nothing about Missouri St. up to this point other than the fact they apparently flipped a switch once MVC play began. What do the Panthers need to be aware of if they hope to win this game? All I know is that Sonnen will be trying to lock down Downing and unless the Bears can get other weapons going to take the pressure off, they might have a tough time staying afloat.

For UNI, if they continue to play like they have against these past few weeks at home, this one could be over quick. The defense that was non-existent at times earlier in the season seems almost as suffocating as Wichita's at times and the biggest question mark is not if the Bears can stop the Panthers from scoring, but when the Panthers will simply stop themselves. If consistent play is maintained throughout this game for UNI then they are capable of winning by double digits like they have against other potential Thurday teams Braldey, Drake and Southern Illinois.

I predict this game will be closer than some of those laughers, with the Panthers winning by about 5. Should be a good game and I'm excited to finally see what the Bears have to offer for the next few years. The verdict is still out if the talent level is as high as some MSU fans seem to believe.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Missouri State @ UNI

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Missouri State @ UNI

Postby agrinut » February 5th, 2013, 1:55 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:The Bears come to the McLeod Center tonight to try and figure out UNI's recent home form. Tip-off is set for 7 pm in Cedar Falls.

Bears fans, I know nothing about Missouri St. up to this point other than the fact they apparently flipped a switch once MVC play began. What do the Panthers need to be aware of if they hope to win this game? All I know is that Sonnen will be trying to lock down Downing and unless the Bears can get other weapons going to take the pressure off, they might have a tough time staying afloat.

For UNI, if they continue to play like they have against these past few weeks at home, this one could be over quick. The defense that was non-existent at times earlier in the season seems almost as suffocating as Wichita's at times and the biggest question mark is not if the Bears can stop the Panthers from scoring, but when the Panthers will simply stop themselves. If consistent play is maintained throughout this game for UNI then they are capable of winning by double digits like they have against other potential Thurday teams Braldey, Drake and Southern Illinois.

I predict this game will be closer than some of those laughers, with the Panthers winning by about 5. Should be a good game and I'm excited to finally see what the Bears have to offer for the next few years. The verdict is still out if the talent level is as high as some MSU fans seem to believe.

The Bears will bring the top 2 freshman with them tonight, Downing is important to the Bears but Gavin is who I would fear from an opposing standpoint. Bears should win this one tonight.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoBraves » February 5th, 2013, 2:13 pm

agrinut wrote:The Bears will bring the top 2 freshman with them tonight, Downing is important to the Bears but Gavin is who I would fear from an opposing standpoint. Bears should win this one tonight.

The Bears should win??? Same could be said about the Panthers, but probably with more confidence.
Not saying Bears can't win, but I would say UNI will be very tough to beat at home in a critical game in the Valley.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ali » February 5th, 2013, 2:14 pm

agrinut wrote:The Bears will bring the top 2 freshman with them tonight, Downing is important to the Bears but Gavin is who I would fear from an opposing standpoint. Bears should win this one tonight.

Should win??? Who has MSU beaten this year that would give you that notion?
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » February 5th, 2013, 2:21 pm

The Bears are improving rapidly but will hardly be favored tonight. UNI is the clear favorite in Cedar Falls and "should" win. Bears will be a slight favorite in Springfield.

Four of the last five games in this series have been decided by one point. Solid rivalry developing. Grab some popcorn, boys.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Khan4Cats » February 5th, 2013, 2:26 pm

The Bears haven't beaten a team in the top 125 of the RPI. They haven't even stayed within 8 of any team in the top 125. Their best win is a one point win over #128 Evansville at home. They have losses to #233 Jacksonville and #333 Alabama A&M (by 12 points). Of course they SHOULD win..... :Cheers:
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » February 5th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:The Bears haven't beaten a team in the top 125 of the RPI. They haven't even stayed within 8 of any team in the top 125. Their best win is a one point win over #128 Evansville at home. They have losses to #233 Jacksonville and #333 Alabama A&M (by 12 points). Of course they SHOULD win..... :Cheers:

I agree with you that the Bears are the underdogs in this matchup but the team that touched down in Waterloo last night is a different team than the team that couldn't have beaten any of Springfield's varsity high school teams in December. I think UNI wins this one, but if you are choosing to base your opinion of the outcome of the game on games played in the nonconference, good luck with that.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby agrinut » February 5th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Ali wrote:

In my opinion, the Bears are the better team... Just my opinion of course.

Mitchell < Marshall
Sonnen < Downing
James > William
Koch < Thurman
Tuttle > Wilson

Panther Bench < Bears Bench

Jacobson >>>>> Lusk

all the pressure is on the panthers, cant lose at home to a bunch of freshman and the worst coach in the league right? Bears will come out loose, what will the Panthers do? surely Ben wouldn't look past a team with 5 wins on the year......
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoBraves » February 5th, 2013, 3:33 pm

agrinut wrote:
Ali wrote:

In my opinion, the Bears are the better team... Just my opinion of course.

Mitchell < Marshall
Sonnen < Downing
James > William
Koch < Thurman
Tuttle > Wilson

Panther Bench < Bears Bench

Jacobson >>>>> Lusk

all the pressure is on the panthers, cant lose at home to a bunch of freshman and the worst coach in the league right? Bears will come out loose, what will the Panthers do? surely Ben wouldn't look past a team with 5 wins on the year......

WoW! If the talent on Missouri St. is that good, how did they manage to go winless in all their non-conf. games? That's almost like Christmas treeing a scantron test with 20 problems and getting 0 right! :Yea!:

Here's another comparison that is more team-oriented:
Mitchell + Sonnen + James + Koch + Tuttle > Marshall + Downing + Williams + Thurman + Wilson

No doubt, this Bears team has come a long way and has some talented young players, but I don't see a focused Panthers team getting beat tonight.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » February 5th, 2013, 3:43 pm

UNI is a 12.5 point favorite, but yeah Missouri State 'should win'... :huh:
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball