Omaha.com: Marshall turns down NU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Omaha.com: Marshall turns down NU

Postby PorkTornado » March 21st, 2012, 9:23 am

Ali wrote:Wow, surprised Tom Osborne would go that direction. Will Altman want the job now that Oregon is done and he obviously wasn't the first choice?

Altman didn't mind being the 5th choice at Oregon.
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » March 21st, 2012, 11:49 am

jaybydna wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:These coaching searches become more comical by the year. If that article is to be believed 100 percent, Tom Osborne is the most incompetent AD out there when it comes to running a search.

Got to love anonymous sources. And you better believe that coaches' agents call these schools (search firms) with job openings and ask that their guy's name gets dropped during the search, which they happily do through the source. Then they take that back to school X and say, "See, my guy is hot. He needs a raise to stay."

I have no doubt Nebraska would love to land Marshall, Few, Howland, Boyle, Smart, Groce, etc...but I'm betting at least half of those guys fall in the name dropping category I just described -- especially Groce and Boyle.

Does anyone here think they'll land a coach that can get them away from the bottom of the Big Ten?

Not that I doubt what you are saying about agents, but while would schools be involved? Now Nebraska looks like the job that no one wants to work for?

For the record, I have no doubt he was on the list, probably interviewed, was probably offeed and obviously turned it down. $2M is suspect though for a basketball coach at a football-only school.

Schools engage in that sort of things for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is that they like to use misdirection to keep actual happenings under wraps. You put enough stuff out there through "sources" and no one knows what to believe. That helps the schools. The side benefit to the coaches doesn't matter much to Nebraska or Oregon or whoever is conducting a search.

I have my doubts that Marshall would actually interview for a job like Nebraska.

Also, check the link again. Now Osborne is saying no offer has been made. Just part of the game. This addresses your second question about UNL's job perception.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Zardoz » March 22nd, 2012, 4:19 am

Ali wrote:What is Marshall's buyout?

I think it's $325,000. In that neighborhood anyway.
Zardoz
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jet915 » March 22nd, 2012, 1:39 pm

Being reported by Katz that Altman turned down NU as well.....
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » March 22nd, 2012, 3:25 pm

Jet915 wrote:Being reported by Katz that Altman turned down NU as well.....

Another smart coach!
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ace Dad » March 22nd, 2012, 8:36 pm

If I am Nebraska, I would stop going after the successful Head Coaches and find a lead Assistant who is ready for a program. Gets embarrasing when 17 coaches have said "no."
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ihsi » March 23rd, 2012, 8:41 am

I still think Altman ends up at NU. Marshall probably stays at WSU. If he was leaving for South Carolina it would have happened by now.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jet915 » March 23rd, 2012, 12:52 pm

Sounds like Tim Miles, the CSU coach is checking out Nebraska. I think that's the best they can probably get at this time. Probably not the "home run" husker fans thought they were going to get.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » March 23rd, 2012, 6:33 pm

A PN poster who is a chicago native with close ties to many Illini alums has indicated Marshall is lobbying hard for the Illinois job.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iSASO » March 23rd, 2012, 8:42 pm

According to Bob Lutz, who is in St. Louis for the NCAA Tournament:

Lutz was at KU's practice last night and saw ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla. The conversation:

Fraschilla: How's Gregg?

Lutz: Oh, he's got it going on.

Lutz: What about South Carolina?

Fraschilla: No way. He has a better job at WSU.

You can hear the podcast at kfh if you doubt the facts. By all accounts, Marshall is no longer a candidate.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball