Evansville at Missouri State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville at Missouri State

Postby bleach » February 2nd, 2013, 5:06 pm

pafan wrote:
agrinut wrote:You try to be an expert on MSU but you never seem to have the facts on your side. Bruce is no where near our leading scorer.

Would you like to reveal who your second-leading scorer is since I'm incapable of posting it?

By the way, MSU trails by 1 at the half. 23-24.

MARCUS Marshall. NOT Bruce!
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bearvision » February 2nd, 2013, 5:49 pm

Yeah, understandable mistake. Downing, Marcus Marshall, Gavin Thurman are the Bears' top scorers.

Bruce averages 1.6 points a game and doesn't play every game.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 2nd, 2013, 5:52 pm

Heck of a win. Now we are back in a tie for 5th place again; this turnaround has been a real revelation for Paul Lusk and his coaching ability. Back in December I didn't just want he fired, I wanted him to be completely ostracized. I wanted him to go begging back to Matt Painter's bench in West Lafayette.

Now he has really turned things around. Don't get me wrong 5-6 is still an awful conference record, it is nowhere near the standard at MSU but we looked like an 0-18 team for large stretches of our non-conference play. I am not completely sold on Paul Lusk yet, but I need to state emphatically how wrong I was 60 days ago. Gutty win for the Bears. This team's effort makes me darn proud to wear maroon.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » February 2nd, 2013, 7:31 pm

Tough loss for the Aces who were looking for seperation from the midle of the pack. They find themselves right there :huh:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 2nd, 2013, 7:49 pm

What a great game. Glad we pulled it out. Kind of sad its the last time we'll see Colt in person. He's been a pleasure to watch. Especially the last couple watching him go against Pickens.

Evansville sure can play defense.

With Downing having an off night - Kirk and Scheer really came through in the 2nd half. Solid game by Marcus Marshall too.

We just might escape Thurs after all.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 2nd, 2013, 9:35 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Heck of a win. Now we are back in a tie for 5th place again; this turnaround has been a real revelation for Paul Lusk and his coaching ability. Back in December I didn't just want he fired, I wanted him to be completely ostracized. I wanted him to go begging back to Matt Painter's bench in West Lafayette.

Now he has really turned things around. Don't get me wrong 5-6 is still an awful conference record, it is nowhere near the standard at MSU but we looked like an 0-18 team for large stretches of our non-conference play. I am not completely sold on Paul Lusk yet, but I need to state emphatically how wrong I was 60 days ago. Gutty win for the Bears. This team's effort makes me darn proud to wear maroon.

Naw. Same coach. Same team. Same games. Fans typically overreact early in the season. He is doing nothing different. Coaches get too much blame for early season losses and they get too much credit for later season wins. Teams gel over time and the coach does influence that. The bad news is too many fans are so focused on the W or the L and cannot watch how the team is developing.

Good win.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » February 2nd, 2013, 9:40 pm

glm38 wrote:We just might escape Thurs after all.

If you all can win the games you're supposed to win, and at ILSU, I think MSU would be a lock for the #6 seed.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby pawball » February 2nd, 2013, 11:50 pm

Well....wondered what was up with Bruce Marshall, since he didn't dress out. Another cuss.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pawball » February 3rd, 2013, 12:14 am

This game, btw, was a nut n bolts lock-down game. Neither team gave an inch. Bears were fortunate, Scheer got hot from outside midway through second half and Ryan missed a short J with 8 secs left, one that looked good but wasn't, plus UE ran a hell of play with 2.9 secs left, inbounding from the far end, for a last-second layup that missed at the gun. Anthony Downing made another gut-check trey to give Bears some breathing room near the end, but nothing was certain, down to the very last sec.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » February 3rd, 2013, 8:05 am

Ace Dad wrote:Naw. Same coach. Same team. Same games. Fans typically overreact early in the season. He is doing nothing different. Coaches get too much blame for early season losses and they get too much credit for later season wins.

You obviously haven't been watching the Bears this year if you think Lusk hasn't changed anything.
The offense has changed completely. Part of that is due to the emergence of Thurman getting going and Scheer finding his shot. The Bears have always played hard and competed but the offense was a total mess with the guards dribbling until the shot clock expired and throw up a prayer. Now there is much more screening and passing involved. While we were getting some open looks and missing earlier, we are getting many more now due to the facelift.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball