The Drake at Evansville - ESPNU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: The Drake at Evansville - ESPNU

Postby pafan » February 10th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Also:

Ben Simons is a handful. Should be at least 2nd team all-MVC.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby getreal4 » February 10th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Congrats to the Aces on a much needed win. Bulldog's keep a firm lock on Drake Night in St Louis.
Dog's won't win many games until turnovers improve.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces1982 » February 10th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Colt the 13th player in MVC to hit 2000 points. But he is not that good, so many of those points come in garbage time. :roll: Some posters are not too bright.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 10th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Congrats to Aces. Close game.
A lot of super friendly fans at Evansville, nice place. We like the Main Stage also, had fun!
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » February 10th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Colt the 13th player in MVC to hit 2000 points. But he is not that good, so many of those points come in garbage time. :roll: Some posters are not too bright.

Be fair. There hasn't been a "garbage time" reference on the site in months -- except for you and me. Guess who looks dim now?

Me and '82 sitting in a tree...
p-o-s-t-i-n-g
First comes Drake
Then comes Creighton
There goes Barry for some Bar-B-Que
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby PantherSigEp » February 10th, 2013, 11:58 pm

Any one else scratching their heads as to why Phelps didn't call his final timeout and draw up a play for the final shot? They had around 10 seconds, that's plenty of time for a lot of basic plays to develop. We saw the result of NOT drawing something up. That was a painful final possession of regulation to watch
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UE 71 » February 11th, 2013, 12:31 am

PantherSigEp wrote:Any one else scratching their heads as to why Phelps didn't call his final timeout and draw up a play for the final shot? They had around 10 seconds, that's plenty of time for a lot of basic plays to develop. We saw the result of NOT drawing something up. That was a painful final possession of regulation to watch

Maybe it was because Phelps has one of the quickest guards in the Valley who just burned the Aces with two full court drives and a layup that took all of about 5 seconds each time. UE is not the greatest at individual defense capable of stopping such a play. I'm guessing he didn't want to give Coach Simmons time to set the defense to prevent dribble penetration.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shoxrox » February 11th, 2013, 12:51 am

pafan wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:Colt the 13th player in MVC to hit 2000 points. But he is not that good, so many of those points come in garbage time. :roll: Some posters are not too bright.

Be fair. There hasn't been a "garbage time" reference on the site in months -- except for you and me. Guess who looks dim now?

Me and '82 sitting in a tree...
p-o-s-t-i-n-g
First comes Drake
Then comes Creighton
There goes Barry for some Bar-B-Que

Love it!

:+1: :dance: :lol:
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby purple&orange » February 11th, 2013, 1:16 am

UE 71 wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:Any one else scratching their heads as to why Phelps didn't call his final timeout and draw up a play for the final shot? They had around 10 seconds, that's plenty of time for a lot of basic plays to develop. We saw the result of NOT drawing something up. That was a painful final possession of regulation to watch

Maybe it was because Phelps has one of the quickest guards in the Valley who just burned the Aces with two full court drives and a layup that took all of about 5 seconds each time. UE is not the greatest at individual defense capable of stopping such a play. I'm guessing he didn't want to give Coach Simmons time to set the defense to prevent dribble penetration.

Very possible. He could have seen a matchup he liked and went with it, it could be something they practice, or maybe he stayed up and watched Louisville get terrible shots at the end of all those OT periods and figured it was a lost cost. In all seriousness, they probably work on going without a timeout and didn't want to stop play for that very reason.

Coaching is a funny thing. A couple years ago I coached a 7th and 8th grade team and we had the ball with about :28 left in the quarter so I called out that I wanted one shot. We had not worked on holding for one shot at any point in the season due to our practice limitations and the fact we were a JV team and half our guys always practiced with the varsity. Anyhow, we got a wide open 15 footer that went in with about :01 left in the quarter, executed just as if we'd worked on that very situation every single practice. I had nothing to do with it, it was all the kids but you couldn't have drawn it up any better if you tried.

Sometimes the gamble to let them play it out works to perfection and players make plays. Coach Simmons on the postgame talked about how the shot by Colt to tie it was just the effects of Ned and Colt making a play, helped by the fact they've been together all four years. Sometimes players make the plays, sometimes they don't.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » February 11th, 2013, 6:12 am

In 5 years, I'm not sure I've ever seen Phelps draw up a play during a timeout. In the overtime, he did call a time out to "set up a play". On the ensuing possession, Drake passed the ball around the perimeter for 35 seconds and threw up a contested fadeaway 25 footer at the shot clock buzzer. That is typical of what happens after a Phelps timeout.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball