Greatest players in MVC history - where does Doug fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Greatest players in MVC history - where does Doug fall?

Postby Ricardo del Rio » July 22nd, 2012, 5:18 pm

Just to restate the obvious that some may not know, Dougie cannot play a lick of defense.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby agrinut » July 22nd, 2012, 5:44 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:Just to restate the obvious that some may not know, Dougie cannot play a lick of defense.

Doug has never been that impressive to me, his lack of defensive ability allowed the bears to beat the jays 4-5 over the last 2 years. He is going to score that is a given but on the nights the ball isn't falling you better play D, I have not seen him do that yet. This year without Young teams won't have to lag of Dougie to stop the dribble drive. AC may end up being better the Young but I don't think that will be the case this year.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » July 22nd, 2012, 6:36 pm

agrinut wrote:
Ricardo del Rio wrote:Just to restate the obvious that some may not know, Dougie cannot play a lick of defense.

Doug has never been that impressive to me, his lack of defensive ability allowed the bears to beat the jays 4-5 over the last 2 years. He is going to score that is a given but on the nights the ball isn't falling you better play D, I have not seen him do that yet. This year without Young teams won't have to lag of Dougie to stop the dribble drive. AC may end up being better the Young but I don't think that will be the case this year.

Doug is pretty average defensively except for rebounding but I think part of it has to do with the fact that he is trying to stay on the court so I can see why he's probably not too aggressive defensively to try to avoid fouls.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby agrinut » July 22nd, 2012, 9:11 pm

Jet915 wrote:
agrinut wrote:

Doug is pretty average defensively except for rebounding but I think part of it has to do with the fact that he is trying to stay on the court so I can see why he's probably not too aggressive defensively to try to avoid fouls.

That might be true, if it is then that is a coaches decision. I was obvious late in games and you needed a basket against the jays, you went to your forward because Doug couldn't stop a ping pong ball of the dribble.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » July 22nd, 2012, 9:24 pm

I think some of us had forgotten how many truly great players there have been in the mvc. I still say though that he's got a shot at being a top 5 all time due to the fact that he's just a sophomore. And in the games I saw I thought his effort level on defense picked up quite a bit from his freshman to Sophomore years.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » July 22nd, 2012, 10:21 pm

If there is anyone in the world who knows that Doug is not strong defensively, it's Doug because I guarantee Big Mac has it carved into his brain that he needs to improve in that area. I would put down money that we can't criticize Doug after this season for his defense, he just strikes me as the type of player who rises up and makes you eat your own words. He's done fairly well so far
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » July 22nd, 2012, 10:21 pm

Duplicate, delete please
Last edited by PantherSigEp on July 23rd, 2012, 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » July 23rd, 2012, 7:39 am

Man you guys make him sound like just an average player. He's pretty good you know?
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » July 23rd, 2012, 9:17 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
agrinut wrote: I was obvious late in games and you needed a basket against the jays, you went to your forward because Doug couldn't stop a ping pong ball of the dribble.

If it was so obvious, one would have expected the Jays to have lost a lot more than 5 games.

Dude is only a sophomore. Apparently Doug is the only sophomore that can't improve his game.

Despite his defensive shortcomings (which are not as significant as speculated in this thread btw), he's still the best player in the conference as a mere sophomore and every team would take him in a heartbeat. Hell, most teams in America would love to have him on the team.

At least he isn't a world class assclown like Kyle Weems...

May I ask what Kyle Weems has to do with any of this?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Born2Shock » July 23rd, 2012, 12:26 pm

Mo Evans scored 12.1ppg and 4.5 rpg as a frosh, and averaged 22.6 ppg as a soph. Does this put him all time top 10 in the Valley? Obviously not, but the numbers are similar. Doug would be lucky to have a similar NBA journeyman career that Mo has had.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maurice_evans/bio.html
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball