WSU @ UNI--ESPN2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU @ UNI--ESPN2

Postby iSASO » February 2nd, 2013, 6:32 pm

jackwagon wrote:The better coach did win today.

Coach Jacobson is now 1-4 in his last 5 match-ups against WSU.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bleach » February 2nd, 2013, 6:36 pm

Just didn't think this game was that big!
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » February 2nd, 2013, 7:17 pm

iSASO wrote:UNI by 9. They are simply too smart, too well-coached and too athletic for WSU.

Nice call!!!
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » February 2nd, 2013, 7:57 pm

Great win for UNI. Bears will have their hands full Tues night.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby C0|db|00ded » February 2nd, 2013, 8:25 pm

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Heinro » February 2nd, 2013, 8:59 pm

jackwagon wrote:The better coach did win today. The better team did not. Shockers have to adjust to how teams are playing them now. They would really benefit from Baker and Wessel being healthy. They both could bust the zone. Now it would lead to them not being as good on defense but defense is not the Shockers problem. They are just not a very talented offensive team . UNI finally finished a game and that is good to see. They will hopefully pull it together and end up with a 4/5 seed.

Actually, the reason Baker and Wessel started at the beginning of the year is because Marshall trusted them most on the defensive end so no, our defense would be just as good. Otherwise yes, we could desperately use their shooting whether we were playing a zone or not.
Thoughts and prayers to WSU finding a new conference.
Heinro
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PantherSigEp » February 2nd, 2013, 8:59 pm

I love it when that smirk gets wiped off of Gregg Marshall's face. Hall and Early are beast's though. Creighton fans probably will disagree or yell at me but those two might be the best front court duo in the Valley. I don't think Early is better than Doug is, right now, but he will be either next year or at the next level.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 2nd, 2013, 9:16 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
jackwagon wrote:The better coach did win today. The better team did not. Shockers have to adjust to how teams are playing them now. They would really benefit from Baker and Wessel being healthy. They both could bust the zone. Now it would lead to them not being as good on defense but defense is not the Shockers problem. They are just not a very talented offensive team . UNI finally finished a game and that is good to see. They will hopefully pull it together and end up with a 4/5 seed.

We didn't play zone at all today. I am not sure we have played any zone this year at all.

I think we did for a possession or two in Atlantis, but I can think of only about 4 or 5 games during Jake's tenure we played a zone.

It was nice to see our defense play like that finally.

We haven't doubled the post that aggressively in a long time, and it's something we need to do more of....we did it frequently in 08-09, 09-10, and 10-11.

This is what makes being a UNI fan this year so frustrating. We see just how good the team can be, and how much of a match up nightmare we are (this game, Louisville, Memphis, etc...) but then we see games like Evansville and ISUB (squared) where we just piss it down our legs at the end.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » February 2nd, 2013, 9:47 pm

Good win Panthers. You outtoughed a team that is lost offensively. Once again, stupid turnovers presented themselves, especially by a particular WSU guard.

UNI is a different animal at home. WSU isn't out, but they certainly are down. Still at 19-4, I'll take it right now.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » February 2nd, 2013, 11:04 pm

That was a fun game. UNI played extremely well defensively, and they showed the type of team that they can be if playing well. Frustrating to have as many losses as we do.

I thought that UNI just played with more energy today, they made a lot of the hustle plays. Lots of game changing hustle plays notably from Chip Rank, Marc Sonnen, and Seth Tuttle amongst others, along with some hot shooting in the 2nd half from AJ led to the Panther win. Interesting stat, UNI 7 blocks--had some really big/key blocks today.

Watching WSU play offensively was rather unimpressive during stretches. As UNI fan, even I was frustrated watching them at times during the game. Seemed like a lot of indecision, lack of movement, lack of a real plan, Idk. I think Early getting in foul trouble and fouling out really hurt WSU, especially down the stretch when the needed a basket. Refs seemed to want to call a bunch of cheap stuff on the wing, while letting them play rough inside.
Last edited by valleychamp on February 3rd, 2013, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball