Greatest players in MVC history - where does Doug fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Greatest players in MVC history - where does Doug fall?

Postby Red » July 23rd, 2012, 12:43 pm

Born2Shock wrote:Mo Evans scored 12.1ppg and 4.5 rpg as a frosh, and averaged 22.6 ppg as a soph. Does this put him all time top 10 in the Valley? Obviously not, but the numbers are similar. Doug would be lucky to have a similar NBA journeyman career that Mo has had.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maurice_evans/bio.html

Was Mo Evans a 1st team All American? McD was voted one of the 5 best players in the nation last year and plays in the MVC so it's a little harder to get the exposure. I don't get all the hate. What he did against us in the tourney final was unbelievable.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Born2Shock » July 23rd, 2012, 12:51 pm

Red wrote:
Born2Shock wrote:Mo Evans scored 12.1ppg and 4.5 rpg as a frosh, and averaged 22.6 ppg as a soph. Does this put him all time top 10 in the Valley? Obviously not, but the numbers are similar. Doug would be lucky to have a similar NBA journeyman career that Mo has had.

Was Mo Evans a 1st team All American? McD was voted one of the 5 best players in the nation last year and plays in the MVC so it's a little harder to get the exposure. I don't get all the hate. What he did against us in the tourney final was unbelievable.

Im not hating, Im just saying, lets wait a little bit, and get a little perspective before putting up with all time basketball greats like Robertson and Bird...
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby agrinut » July 23rd, 2012, 12:57 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
agrinut wrote: I was obvious late in games and you needed a basket against the jays, you went to your forward because Doug couldn't stop a ping pong ball of the dribble.

If it was so obvious, one would have expected the Jays to have lost a lot more than 5 games.

Dude is only a sophomore. Apparently Doug is the only sophomore that can't improve his game.

Despite his defensive shortcomings (which are not as significant as speculated in this thread btw), he's still the best player in the conference as a mere sophomore and every team would take him in a heartbeat. Hell, most teams in America would love to have him on the team.

At least he isn't a world class assclown like Kyle Weems...

I would hope Doug is not a world class assclown, Kyle made some mistakes and was probably more boisterous then most but I would hardly call him an assclown. In regards to your question, yes the Bears did take it right at Doug late in games. The home game in 2011 and again in 2012, do I need to mention how Doug was abused in Omaha this past season? Doug is a wonderful talent offensively, defensively he would make me cringe as a fan.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » July 24th, 2012, 4:40 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
agrinut wrote: I was obvious late in games and you needed a basket against the jays, you went to your forward because Doug couldn't stop a ping pong ball of the dribble.

If it was so obvious, one would have expected the Jays to have lost a lot more than 5 games.

Dude is only a sophomore. Apparently Doug is the only sophomore that can't improve his game.

Despite his defensive shortcomings (which are not as significant as speculated in this thread btw), he's still the best player in the conference as a mere sophomore and every team would take him in a heartbeat. Hell, most teams in America would love to have him on the team.

I guarantee you Doug made himself look 5 times sillier than Kyle ever did when Doug spent about 5 minutes on the court throwing his arms in the air, flopping and crying to the refs because 6'4 Nate Scheer was muscleing him a little on the defensive end in Springfield last year.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » July 24th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Does this have to devolve into a discussion about kyle and doug's shortcomings? Both have been a credit to their respective schools regardless of a few flops and a few cases of over enthusiasm.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » July 24th, 2012, 9:49 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:

I guarantee you Doug made himself look 5 times sillier than Kyle ever did when Doug spent about 5 minutes on the court throwing his arms in the air, flopping and crying to the refs because 6'4 Nate Scheer was muscleing him a little on the defensive end in Springfield last year.

Nope.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ictjay » July 24th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Sorry doesn't count. Cup of coffee at WSU. Mo was a Longhorn!
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » July 25th, 2012, 5:20 am

ictjay wrote:

Sorry doesn't count. Cup of coffee at WSU. Mo was a Longhorn!

I think the point was to show the similarities in statistical success between Evans and McD to the same point in their careers. Obviously Evans removed himself for any consideration by transferring, but a lot of things can happen between now and the end of Doug's career that will ultimately decide where he ranks all time.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » July 30th, 2012, 12:29 pm

glm38 wrote:I think some of us had forgotten how many truly great players there have been in the mvc. I still say though that he's got a shot at being a top 5 all time due to the fact that he's just a sophomore. And in the games I saw I thought his effort level on defense picked up quite a bit from his freshman to Sophomore years.

Zero way of being in top five. Zero.

Have you been smokin' or somethin'?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » July 30th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Red wrote:

I am not hating. I wish he was a Shocker.

I dislike unjustified mania.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball