Missouri State @ UNI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State @ UNI

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » February 6th, 2013, 9:29 am

Ali wrote:Wasn't that impressed with Missouri State's freshmen either as I was told that I would be.

Not impressed, huh? Well, color me not impressed with your veteran team that let a majority-freshman team lead for 30 minutes of the game, at HOME, and needed a waived-off three-pointer due to operator error to swing the momentum. Real world-beaters there.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » February 6th, 2013, 9:52 am

No, you can easily say they weren't that impressive because they weren't. UNI had a horrible night shooting as well, but it wasn't from anything the Bears were doing, UNI was getting the shots they wanted, they just weren't falling. Sonnen isn't gonna go 1-6 from 3 again when at least 4 of the looks were pretty much unguarded. It was the first game UNI has won when shooting under 30% from 3 (only the 2nd under 35%). We shoot closer to average and that's a 20 point margin.

MSU, on the other hand, was struggling to get any kind of look and had to rely on a lot of late shot clock desperation shots as they rarely got good looks. I was expecting some flashes from the hype I have heard, but didn't see much. They pretty much looked flustered and confused by UNI's defense and never had any rhythm. Thurman looked like he was trying to force just to get some shots off, Marshall looked like he was over his head, Scheer got outplayed by UNI's freshman SG, Wilson showed some good hops and bad brains.

MSU had a lead, but it never felt like they were threatening to pull away, it was more a matter of whether UNI would ever hit any of their shots. Once they started to, they pulled away.
Last edited by Khan4Cats on February 6th, 2013, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 6th, 2013, 9:52 am

Only watched the Bears a couple of times this year, but is it typical for you to run the shot clock way down and take a semi-forced shot?? I didn't think you moved very well offensively. The pieces are there for the Bears to be good going forward, but your offensive movement is going to have to improve drastically.

One other observation- Lusk talks to his assistants far less than any head coach I've ever seen. They didn't even need to make the trip...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 6th, 2013, 10:14 am

Ali wrote:Probably the ugliest game I've ever seen. Wasn't that impressed with Missouri State's freshmen either as I was told that I would be and this was supposedly the lowest point total by the Bears in like 70 years.

Both teams are way better offensively than they showed last night. Just seemed like there were lids on the rims. How many shots were in and then out for both teams? It was a lot.

Looking forward to the rematch.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » February 6th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Ali wrote:Probably the ugliest game I've ever seen. Wasn't that impressed with Missouri State's freshmen either as I was told that I would be and this was supposedly the lowest point total by the Bears in like 70 years.

Your first sentence speaks volumes because UNI is the king of ugly basketball nationally. You have undoubtably been exposed to countless ugly games with the clutch and grab style that you play. But it wins so don't think I am indicting it. Horrible for the casual fan who may catch UNI and think the rest of the conference plays that way but oh well. We both were terri-awful in the words of Shaq last night.

I don't think people have been hyping our frosh too much. They are promising but they are not world beaters. Yet.

Congrats on the win. Well deserved for the Panthers.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 6th, 2013, 2:07 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:

Your first sentence speaks volumes because UNI is the king of ugly basketball nationally. You have undoubtably been exposed to countless ugly games with the clutch and grab style that you play. But it wins so don't think I am indicting it. Horrible for the casual fan who may catch UNI and think the rest of the conference plays that way but oh well. We both were terri-awful in the words of Shaq last night.

I don't think people have been hyping our frosh too much. They are promising but they are not world beaters. Yet.

Where are you getting 'clutch and grab'? We aren't SIU from 10 years ago, we don't hand check and grab on the perimeter, we pack it in and force teams to shoot jump shots. We're physical on the interior, but we don't grab...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 6th, 2013, 5:38 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:

We have won 3 count them 3 games this year where we didn't score 70. I don't think these type of games lend themselves to us. We actually just play very good help defense. It is why teams normally get good looks from the perimeter on us. If we really played 'clutch and grab' you wouldn't get those easy perimeter shots. Last night those refs were really letting stuff go. It is crazy how there were probably ~20 fouls called last night and we had one guy foul out.

Both teams were missing wide open shots although we did a better job of making MSU use the entire shot clock. They even used the entire shot clock twice a few times after getting an offensive rebound. Both teams were bad last night. I think judging either team by that game would be a mistake. Clearly MSU did not play well. I assume that was closer to the team that didn't beat a D1 team in the non-conference. Hopefully things don't get as ugly in Springfield.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » February 6th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Hanging on the rim is a class B technical and doesn't count in the total for disqualification. That is what the refs said.
I think the Bears played slower than they needed to but they were leading and trying to get layups. I think it backfired in the end. The Bears too don't win without scoring at or near 70.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » February 6th, 2013, 6:09 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:No, you can easily say they weren't that impressive because they weren't. UNI had a horrible night shooting as well, but it wasn't from anything the Bears were doing, UNI was getting the shots they wanted, they just weren't falling. Sonnen isn't gonna go 1-6 from 3 again when at least 4 of the looks were pretty much unguarded. It was the first game UNI has won when shooting under 30% from 3 (only the 2nd under 35%). We shoot closer to average and that's a 20 point margin.

MSU, on the other hand, was struggling to get any kind of look and had to rely on a lot of late shot clock desperation shots as they rarely got good looks. I was expecting some flashes from the hype I have heard, but didn't see much. They pretty much looked flustered and confused by UNI's defense and never had any rhythm. Thurman looked like he was trying to force just to get some shots off, Marshall looked like he was over his head, Scheer got outplayed by UNI's freshman SG, Wilson showed some good hops and bad brains.

MSU had a lead, but it never felt like they were threatening to pull away, it was more a matter of whether UNI would ever hit any of their shots. Once they started to, they pulled away.

What a biased post. So you shoot like horse shat on your home court and it had nothing to do with our defense; we shoot poorly and it's about your defense. We typically use the shot clock and while it does lend to a number of forced shots, I saw plenty of wide open shots missed by the Bears and UNI both. It was a game a veteran team playing on their home court and struggling to stay out of the playin round better win against a team as young and inexperienced as the Bears.That was the first time 5 of the Bears ever played against UNI's defensive style and it does take some familiarity to adjust to what UNI does on that end, so yeah there were some ugly moments offensively for the Bears. Nothing new or earth shattering there.

We shot terrible but still led for about 75% of the game and I liked most of the physical matchups I was seeing on the court. Right now all I care about is defending home court, we do that for our last 3 games and we will see where everything shakes out for the tourney. If not, I still have only seen one team really pull away from us on the court since conference play has begun, so I am really not to worried about closing that gap with another year of experience.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 6th, 2013, 6:18 pm

bleach wrote:Hanging on the rim is a class B technical and doesn't count in the total for disqualification. That is what the refs said.

100% correct. It is an administrative technical and not a personal. It would be like dunking in pregame warmups or a coach turning in the incorrect starting lineup.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball