Official 2015-16 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which team will win the MVC regular season championship?

Poll ended at October 12th, 2015, 1:10 pm

Evansville
26%
Wichita State
74%

Total votes : 43

Re: Official 2015-16 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Postby glm38 » October 13th, 2015, 4:24 am

Ace75 wrote:I voted for my Aces here and this is why.
I think we have the talent to win. I know we have a great group of kids that want to go out on top. I am not happy how last year turned out but maybe our players and coaches learned something. We have a couple new assistant coaches that can bring something to the table. I voted with my heart. My head says Wichita State will win it all but my heart says my Aces are finally going to get it done. I for one have not been happy about the state of our program the last 15 years. I haven't been happy about the 4,000 people who come out to the games. I want the old days of 10,000 plus making our stadium hard to play in back. I hope we get back there soon before I'm too old to stand and yell. Hopefully this year will bring us back.

Go ACES!!!

Good post. :Cheers: I hope the Aces do put it all together and mount a challenge to WSU. It would make the season a lot more interesting. It all depends on your coach and how he utilizes his talent IMO.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » October 13th, 2015, 6:22 am

For posterity and humility, here are my picks:

10 BU
9 MSU
8 SIU
7 Drake
6 LUC
5 ISUb
4 ISUr
3 UNI
2 UE
1 WSU

FWIW, I like the direction of all the teams sans SIU and MSU. There should be several teams that are good, not great this year, but I'm hoping one or two can take the next step and be NCAA ready.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » October 13th, 2015, 8:23 am

Aargh wrote:For a team that has locked up an NCAA invite, a conference tourney is a way to work on the last elements to maximize a run in the NCAA's. It's not a series of "must-win" games.

I remember a few years back when WSU had a Fr named Ron Baker that no one had heard of because WSU was the only D1 team to give him a shot and he had been injured. He got a lot of minutes in the MVC tourney to knock some rust off. He didn't do much in the MVC tourney, but those games helped prepare him for what was coming.

Another Fr at WSU that year got more minutes in the tourney than he'd had during the year. A guy named VanVleet.

As I recall, Creighton won the conference tourney that year. CU went down in the first round in the NCAA's. WSU went down in the F4 that year. Looks like Louisville, who took the Shox out in the F4, may have to vacate that win for illegal recruiting and player incentives. Providing hookers to recruits and players is frowned on by the NCAA.

At this point in time for WSU, Arch Madness is a last-minute tuneup for the real tourney. It's sort of like early season exhibition games. Winning isn't as important as what can be learned from the games.

When the next Valley team that doesn't win in St. Louis gets an NIT championship, I will be a little more receptive to criticism of WSU's lack of championships in St. Louis.

1. Baker was returning from an injury so he played significantly less minutes than normal.

2. Van Vleet played only 13 minutes per game in the tourney but avg 18 minutes per game during the season.

3. I understand that if you are already in the big dance that it might not seem important but I guess I just feel any team (Power 5 or otherwise) that can win their conference regular season championship should be able to win their conference tourney. It just feels wrong/dirty to have to split the title with another team.

4. I agree the tourney is a great experience but if you are telling me that Gregg Marshall looks at it as ho-hum something to do before March Madness then you might not be watching the same games as me.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Championz » October 13th, 2015, 11:31 am

mathewson10 wrote:3. I understand that if you are already in the big dance that it might not seem important but I guess I just feel any team (Power 5 or otherwise) that can win their conference regular season championship should be able to win their conference tourney. It just feels wrong/dirty to have to split the title with another team.

You just don't get it. You fail to understand the desperateness of conference tournaments. I dunno why you should feel anything about the subject since Illinois State hasnt won either since Clinton Administration.

Should they win it? Absolutely.

Do they win it? Well it's a crapshoot. I want you to go back and look at all the conference tournaments over the last 5 years. And then I want you tell me how many 1 seeds won their conference tournament. Then get back to me. You can feel dirty all you want but that's life.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » October 13th, 2015, 11:41 am

Championz wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:3. I understand that if you are already in the big dance that it might not seem important but I guess I just feel any team (Power 5 or otherwise) that can win their conference regular season championship should be able to win their conference tourney. It just feels wrong/dirty to have to split the title with another team.

You just don't get it. You fail to understand the desperateness of conference tournaments. I dunno why you should feel anything about the subject since Illinois State hasnt won either since Clinton Administration.

Should they win it? Absolutely.

Do they win it? Well it's a crapshoot. I want you to go back and look at all the conference tournaments over the last 5 years. And then I want you tell me how many 1 seeds won their conference tournament. Then get back to me. You can feel dirty all you want but that's life.

That's not fair. WSU was the one seed three of the last five years. :Cheers:
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 13th, 2015, 7:41 pm

You might consider the relative desperation if you think about one team's approach literally being to nut-punch other players out of the game in an effort to win.

That being said, I am tired of not winning in St. Louis more often. Of course, I wouldn't mind if they moved the friggin' event either.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » October 16th, 2015, 10:36 am

It is always helpful to play better.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 16th, 2015, 1:35 pm

sixth ace wrote:
Ace75 wrote:I voted for my Aces here and this is why.
I think we have the talent to win. I know we have a great group of kids that want to go out on top. I am not happy how last year turned out but maybe our players and coaches learned something. We have a couple new assistant coaches that can bring something to the table. I voted with my heart. My head says Wichita State will win it all but my heart says my Aces are finally going to get it done. I for one have not been happy about the state of our program the last 15 years. I haven't been happy about the 4,000 people who come out to the games. I want the old days of 10,000 plus making our stadium hard to play in back. I hope we get back there soon before I'm too old to stand and yell. Hopefully this year will bring us back.

Go ACES!!!

+10 Not to mention that UE suffer several injuries to key players last year. Mock, Mislav, Wing and Balentine all suffered injuries. With the new assistant coaches and a Senior/Junior team, I think they capable of match playing with WSU. By December the indicators should be in

That's why they play the games.

:Cheers:

Fair enough. I get an Evansville fan thinking this is their year. How many games do you folks think Evansville will win in the league this year?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » October 16th, 2015, 2:11 pm

I don't know how we'll know Evansville's "indicators" by December when they haven't played anybody by then.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » October 16th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Championz wrote:I don't know how we'll know Evansville's "indicators" by December when they haven't played anybody by then.

Yeah probably not
The Aces play:
11/21/2015 Belmont Evansville, Ind. 12:30 p.m.
Then away:
http://espnevents.com/wooden-legacy/bra ... ket-et-pt/

Somewhere there is an indictator before December. Especially on a neutral courts
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball