Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Another Expansion/Realignment Thread

Postby tribecalledquest » May 29th, 2024, 7:37 am

I don’t know why any school that has football and isn’t in a P4 league would move out of FCS right now.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby IllinoisState » May 29th, 2024, 8:19 am

tribecalledquest wrote:I don’t know why any school that has football and isn’t in a P4 league would move out of FCS right now.

That's my thought, but a few posters on our board act like it's the end of the world if we don't move up ASAP.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 29th, 2024, 9:38 am

I feel like the MVC is one of the last "Basketball First" leagues left. Moving to the MAC just doesn't seem like a good basketball move considering their lackluster numbers in a lot of key categories.

On another note, I know there is some chagrin about absorbing Horizon league schools, but I feel like St. Thomas if/when that addition comes in could open the door to absorb the Wisconson HL schools. If the MVCs direct competitor is to be the A-10, then there needs to be operation under the impression that the A-10 is going to want a 16th team. I see no reason why the 3 in D1 360s vid don't get calls now, and maybe 5-6 years down the line, start asking Green Bay and Milwaukee some questions. That video really opened my eyes to just how desirable the MVC is to schools as a conference.
Last edited by ReZyNeZy on May 29th, 2024, 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby E-Villan » May 29th, 2024, 9:43 am

IllinoisState wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:I don’t know why any school that has football and isn’t in a P4 league would move out of FCS right now.

That's my thought, but a few posters on our board act like it's the end of the world if we don't move up ASAP.

There are quite a few Western KY fans/alums in this area. I have had several say this would like WKU to go back to FCS and get in a better basketball league like the MVC. They are somewhat jealous of Murray and feel that they have passed them in the Kentucky exposure order. KSR (Kentucky Sports Radio) doesn't spend 3 hours a day discussing college football. The average WKU fan would probably be more interested in seeing Southern Illinois in town than Jacksonville State.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » May 29th, 2024, 10:30 am

ReZyNeZy wrote:I feel like the MVC is one of the last "Basketball First" leagues left. Moving to the MAC just doesn't seem like a good basketball move considering their lackluster numbers in a lot of key categories.

On another note, I know there is some chagrin about absorbing Horizon league schools, but I feel like St. Thomas if/when that addition comes in could open the door to absorb the Wisconson HL schools. If the MVCs direct competitor is to be the A-10, then there needs to be operation under the impression that the A-10 is going to want a 16th team. I see no reason why the 3 in D1 360s vid don't get calls now, and maybe 5-6 years down the line, start asking Green Bay and Milwaukee some questions. That video really opened my eyes to just how desirable the MVC is to schools as a conference.

UMass is leaving. The A10 is down to 14 and, most likely, aren't going to replace them right now.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ReZyNeZy » May 29th, 2024, 11:03 am

BCPanther wrote:
ReZyNeZy wrote:I feel like the MVC is one of the last "Basketball First" leagues left. Moving to the MAC just doesn't seem like a good basketball move considering their lackluster numbers in a lot of key categories.

UMass is leaving. The A10 is down to 14 and, most likely, aren't going to replace them right now.

For some reason I thought it was the other way around where Umass was leaving the MAC to join the A-10. I stand by my other statements nonetheless. If the MVC can pick up 3 now and be on par with the A-10. Great. And then a coupe, years down the line. Start asking the Wisconsin teams questions.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TylerDurden » May 29th, 2024, 11:46 am

BCPanther wrote:

And the A10 shouldn't replace them if there isn't a viable candidate.

If and when leagues at the MVC/A10 level expand, they need to get it right.

Joining the MVC means the hard work is in front of you. The league only works when everyone pulls their own weight. When you add teams that don't belong, you've made everyone's job harder. We don't need quantity to make travel partners, we need quality to win games.

Because the university presidents will consider other factors before athletics (that won't pay off like they'll try to sell in the press conference), I have no faith that they will get this right.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » May 29th, 2024, 2:50 pm

I don't think WKU is going to the MAC. CUSA has a GOR in place a move would be expensive for any member to break that. I think the MAC's only hope of getting to 14 is Illinois State. As for the MVC I think NKU is an example of getting it right. The perfect candidate doesn't exist at this point. We'd all like South Dakota State but as the video points out performance is the only metric they check and they aren't Murray State at that level either. And this assumes they are interested because they have it made in the Summit. Wright State fits so well if we go beyond 12 and then it's a toss up between Milwaukee and St Thomas (Assuming St Thomas is even allowed to leave if they're beholden to the Summit we'll have to wait but St Thomas would have the edge over Milwaukee. If ISU leaves we take both and don't really think about it. I think the added media coverage of getting Ohio Wisconsin and Minnesota offsets the loss of KC well enough. Arlington checks a lot of boxes but they're just so isolated even with the direct flights. It's also possible (with the lack of direct flights to Cincinnati for Iowa) that we don't expand yet and wait but of course the enrollment cliff almost necessitates expansion into these markets I just hope we take the right schools to elevate the league or that the league membership elevates the schools to get better if they've been lagging performance wise but the commitment and infrastructure seems to be there for these schools. The more I think about the potential positives each of these schools brings the more excited I am about the possibility of one or more of them joining. Growing (or maintaining) our basketball strength while also growing our media presence and student recruitment are all good things.

NKU: Nice arena Wants to make basketball more visible Hoops crazed area Solid attendance Good performance

Wright State: Nice arena Good attendance Hoops crazed area Solid attendance Solid overall athletic department Rivalry with NKU and other MVC members

Milwaukee: Trending upward Good support of MBB Good attendance when team is strong New Practice facility shows commitment

St Thomas: Huge endowment Seemingly solid athletics Beautiful new arena incoming Biggest potential of the bunch
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby racernation » May 29th, 2024, 5:06 pm

Since joining the MVC, several teams have flown into Murray's airport via charter. Is this more expensive than flying commercial? I ask because of the talk on UTA. Its a 10 hour drive from Murray.
racernation
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » May 29th, 2024, 5:21 pm

racernation wrote:Since joining the MVC, several teams have flown into Murray's airport via charter. Is this more expensive than flying commercial? I ask because of the talk on UTA. Its a 10 hour drive from Murray.

Charter is more expensive as you’re effectively paying to rent the plane.

For UTA, it seems everyone is somewhat close to an airport with direct commercial flights to Dallas. Basically, the Dallas’s and Chicago’s are airport hubs that fly everywhere in the country.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball