MVC Power Rankings

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Power Rankings

Postby Aces1982 » November 27th, 2012, 2:31 pm

MoValley John wrote:Nobody wants to see Evansville lose out of conference, nobody. But at the same time, nobody wants to see Evansville lose games to teams like Buffalo, then come into the Valley and knock off a few trophies, either. While it excites Evansville fans, in the long run, it hurts the league as a whole. The same could be said of Illinois State a couple of years ago; they were a really talented team, played dogshit noncon schedules, beat up on conference leaders, but didn't win the league.

Financially, these type of scenarios not only cost the league in stature and perception, but over the years, have cost the league second and even possibly third bids to the dance. That money trickles down to every team, and with each lost bid there is less money to trickle. The Valley was once almost a lock for two bids, last year there were two and early on, it looks that way again, but if EVille does their thing again this year, it quite possibly cost the Valley a third.
I know those wins will make Aces fans happy, but don't expect others to be so joyful. And those fans should also keep in mind the money that those wins cost their own program.

Here it is: Evansville didn't cost anyone a bid. If a second or third bid was not handed out, don't go blame someone else. Start by looking in the mirror. Unbelievable attitude, we don't get a bid so we are going to blame another team in our conference. Man up and take the blame!!!!!
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shoxrox » November 27th, 2012, 2:42 pm

How hard is it to comprehend that when half of your league tanks in the non con, the perception and actual stats (RPI) on that league takes a serious hit? Beating or losing to a team who tanks it in the non con makes the entire league look bad. Upsets do happen but the upsets don't look near as bad if it happens against a team who didn't bow out at the hands of Buffalo at home.

I guess Evansville fans don't grasp this concept, given their decade-long drain on the league and they are the ones always doing the "upsetting".
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » November 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm

shoxrox wrote:How hard is it to comprehend that when half of your league tanks in the non con, the perception and actual stats (RPI) on that league takes a serious hit? Beating or losing to a team who tanks it in the non con makes the entire league look bad. Upsets do happen but the upsets don't look near as bad if it happens against a team who didn't bow out at the hands of Buffalo at home.

I guess Evansville fans don't grasp this concept, given their decade-long drain on the league and they are the ones always doing the "upsetting".

It is not even losing to a lower RPI team, it is playing them that will actually have your RPI go down.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » November 27th, 2012, 2:55 pm

You are right, Evansville is not to blame for winning those conference games, and the competition is exactly why the games are played. My point is simply the ugly reality of the situation. In. Mid major league, those "upsets" do a lot of damage. If Wake Forest stuns Duke, it is a great win for Wake and doesn't hurt Duke or anyone else. When EVille jells in late January, it punishes the Valley. It isn't fair, but life isn't fair. As a fan, I mentioned you would and should be excited, but at the same time, understand the damage that is done.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 27th, 2012, 3:17 pm

MoValley John wrote:You are right, Evansville is not to blame for winning those conference games, and the competition is exactly why the games are played. My point is simply the ugly reality of the situation. In. Mid major league, those "upsets" do a lot of damage. If Wake Forest stuns Duke, it is a great win for Wake and doesn't hurt Duke or anyone else. When EVille jells in late January, it punishes the Valley. It isn't fair, but life isn't fair. As a fan, I mentioned you would and should be excited, but at the same time, understand the damage that is done.

I understand the damage and could care less. I am not going to hope my team loses to another conference team for the good of the conference. And if UE was ever on the bubble and got left out, I would never blame another team in the conference for upseting UE. I would blame UE for that loss and nobody else. Man up and accept it if you get beat don't try and blame your failures on someone else.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » November 27th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
MoValley John wrote:You are right, Evansville is not to blame for winning those conference games, and the competition is exactly why the games are played. My point is simply the ugly reality of the situation. In. Mid major league, those "upsets" do a lot of damage. If Wake Forest stuns Duke, it is a great win for Wake and doesn't hurt Duke or anyone else. When EVille jells in late January, it punishes the Valley. It isn't fair, but life isn't fair. As a fan, I mentioned you would and should be excited, but at the same time, understand the damage that is done.

I understand the damage and could care less. I am not going to hope my team loses to another conference team for the good of the conference. And if UE was ever on the bubble and got left out, I would never blame another team in the conference for upseting UE. I would blame UE for that loss and nobody else. Man up and accept it if you get beat don't try and blame your failures on someone else.

Nobody is blaming failures on anyone else. I appreciate what you say about not caring less, but keep in mind that the EVille program has gotten better over the last few years. It may not be too long before you have a good noncon, finish third in the Valley, have an RPI in the 30's, and get the Missouri State treatment from the selection committee. You will care more then, you will be upset. It is even possible that your fanbase gives Marty the Hinson treatment. Marty will spend a few years as the DOBO at Purdue, EvVille will hire an up and comer that falls an eyelash short of the dance and takes the fastest train out of town. Then Marty will be brought back into the league where you crap your pants because he took the Drake job, Drake looks good and your new coach is inexperienced.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » November 27th, 2012, 4:03 pm

If UE is not a contender in the Valley this year,he and his coaching staff should have a warm seat with Evansville fans. The coaching staff, lack of a gameplan w/o Colt Ryan against Buffalo, is inexcusable. These are his second team of players that they recruited. They are Senior ridden with 5. There is not an excuse that explains any more years after 6 years. I would expect nothing less than a NIT bid but Itruly believe that Evansville will be in the NCAA at the end of this year.

:Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » November 27th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Fair.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » November 27th, 2012, 4:24 pm

sixth ace wrote:If UE is not a contender in the Valley this year,he and his coaching staff should have a warm seat with Evansville fans. The coaching staff, lack of a gameplan w/o Colt Ryan against Buffalo, is inexcusable. These are his second team of players that they recruited. They are Senior ridden with 5. There is not an excuse that explains any more years after 6 years. I would expect nothing less than a NIT bid but Itruly believe that Evansville will be in the NCAA at the end of this year.

Can't have another bad loss like Buffalo or a NCAA bid can't even be achieved without the autobid.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » November 27th, 2012, 6:45 pm

sixth ace wrote: I would expect nothing less than a NIT bid but Itruly believe that Evansville will be in the NCAA at the end of this year.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present to you my case that sixth ace has consumed the entire supply of Purple Kool-Aid in Evansville.

That, and the fact that I have been forced to drink real grape juice tonight. In vino veritas. :buddies:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball