isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: January 24th-25th games

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » January 25th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Championz wrote:I wonder how many Illinois State highlights have made SportsCenter's Top Ten.

If Daishon Knight hadn't choked on his FTs, his ridiculous acting performance where he threw himself into the goalpost should have made the Top Ten. That flop almost won it for them.

Or his flop at the end of the game, where he didn't even try to create his own shot, and just flopped near the basket in the hope the refs would bail him out.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » January 25th, 2015, 5:08 pm

That's gotta hurt. Up 12 with 10 minutes left at home, missed front end of a 1 and 1 with 12 seconds left, followed by a dagger three for a one-point loss against a ranked team.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PantherSigEp » January 25th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Wufan wrote:After going from a 5 point deficit to a 12 point lead in ~ 5 minutes, the Redbirds look suddenly lost but are still up 5. Morgan playing hellacious D!

I told you guys. Best defensive guard in the league that doesn't go to school in Kansas.

For the longest time Paris Lee has not impressed me half as much as Redbird fans talked about. That ended in the 2nd half today. Dude can ball, even when he takes bad shots. Lynch was a non-factor in the 2nd half and frankly his defensive presence was more a mental thing for the Panthers than his actual D.

Even though UNI won, that game was ugly and Dan Mueller and the Redbirds would probably be ecstatic if you showed them about every stat except the final score. Their game plan and aggressive play was superior to UNI's for 75% of the game, but boy did that zone D cause them to fold like a tent. Even when they got a nice long free break on a "clock malfunction" they struggled to get back in their rhythm. Great job by UNI to not get down on themselves after some poor play and a 12 pt deficit. That's the type of mental toughness that allowed them to shake off some really sloppy play (as a result of the ISU D, that needs to be emphasized) and win. That type of toughness gets you to your goals in March.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 25th, 2015, 5:15 pm

Just a great game. I know there's a lot of ISUr dislike on the part of WSU fans but ISUr is a pretty good team. That was a ridiculous statement that they are the most talented team but they do have some talented players for sure. And I think Muller is a good young coach.

Buss is a kind of a paradox. What does he weigh? About 200 lbs? At 6' 8"? He's rail thin and looks like he would break in half inside but he's stronger than he looks and a great shooter.

Glad UNI won. I'd sure like to see both UNI and WSU remain top 25 for their meeting next week. The good thing is a loss by either team shouldn't hurt too much.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 25th, 2015, 5:16 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Championz wrote:I wonder how many Illinois State highlights have made SportsCenter's Top Ten.

If Daishon Knight hadn't choked on his FTs, his ridiculous acting performance where he threw himself into the goalpost should have made the Top Ten. That flop almost won it for them.

Or his flop at the end of the game, where he didn't even try to create his own shot, and just flopped near the basket in the hope the refs would bail him out.

That foul was atrocious. Buss never came close to touching him, let alone with enough force to throw him into the basket like that.

Buss then nails the game winning 3

Karma, mother f****rs.

BTW, Muller is a god awful X and O coach. The "offense" they ran against that zone was stuff of middle school girls ball lore.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdfan21 » January 25th, 2015, 5:20 pm

Muller took the blame in the post game for not getting the guys adjusted to the zone. Said UNI hadn't played a 3-2 zone all year and ISU hadn't practiced against it once all season. That was definitely the game changer. Morgan is so freaking long at the top of that. He had to have 10 deflections today. Good game. Not surprised one bit at the ending. Life of a Redbirds sports fan these days!
Redbirdfan21
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Rollbird5 » January 25th, 2015, 5:20 pm

Championz wrote:Great coaching by Muller. Masterful actually.

He looked like a begging douche at the end of the game too. Typical.

Sorry Redbird fans. Karma hates you.

Right cuz Muller was the one who missed open 3s and layups and free throws that would've won the game.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 25th, 2015, 5:21 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Wufan wrote:After going from a 5 point deficit to a 12 point lead in ~ 5 minutes, the Redbirds look suddenly lost but are still up 5. Morgan playing hellacious D!

I told you guys. Best defensive guard in the league that doesn't go to school in Kansas.

For the longest time Paris Lee has not impressed me half as much as Redbird fans talked about. That ended in the 2nd half today. Dude can ball, even when he takes bad shots. Lynch was a non-factor in the 2nd half and frankly his defensive presence was more a mental thing for the Panthers than his actual D.

Even though UNI won, that game was ugly and Dan Mueller and the Redbirds would probably be ecstatic if you showed them about every stat except the final score. Their game plan and aggressive play was superior to UNI's for 75% of the game, but boy did that zone D cause them to fold like a tent. Even when they got a nice long free break on a "clock malfunction" they struggled to get back in their rhythm. Great job by UNI to not get down on themselves after some poor play and a 12 pt deficit. That's the type of mental toughness that allowed them to shake off some really sloppy play (as a result of the ISU D, that needs to be emphasized) and win. That type of toughness gets you to your goals in March.

I actually thought the game was very evenly matched for the first 25 minutes. The Redbirds went on a terror after that for five minutes, and UNI steadily beat ISU for the last 10. Great game by both teams! Congrats to the Panthers!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 25th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Chalk this win up for Jeremy Morgan. He single handedly got UNI back into the game after being down 12 with his defense.

That was the very definition of stealing one on the road. Really a brutal game for UNI with tons of turnovers and offense rebounds, but they somehow sneak out with the W. What a shot by Buss.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball