Valley Player of the Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Player of the Year

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 17th, 2012, 1:00 pm

2livewu wrote:DoubleJay seems to be getting very chippy since his Jays fell 2 games behind WSU. Haters gonna hate I guess.

Not at all - I think WSU is very good and was my pick to win the conference before the year even began (I posted that prediction in several threads before the season if you want to check). I just thought that Aargh's comment that Stutz/McDermott had comparabler games in the two matchups was BS and the stats certainly back me up.

2livewu wrote:I also think it's possible Joe takes some of Garrett's WSU votes, thereby hurting Garrett against Doug. And Joe probably deserves those votes, so it's not like a conspiracy.

IMO, the strength of this WSU team (and why I voted for them in the preseason polls) is because of their guard play. I said it then and I'll say it now - WSU has the best guards in the league.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdmanBB » February 17th, 2012, 1:09 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:
2livewu wrote:It's an 18 game schedule, and it SHOULD be based only on Valley games. I have no idea if it actually is based just on Valley games.

Why?

Should a player that averaged 5 pts in the pre-conference and 20 pts in conference be considered?

Should a player on a team that went 2-10 in non-coference but wins the conference be considered?

I don't understand the obsession with WSU fans pimping for Stutz so bad.

At this point I kind of hope Doug does get 2nd or 3rd team All American and doesn't win POY in the Valley.

yes and yes.....but I still think Doug is going to win it.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » February 17th, 2012, 1:18 pm

I am not a big fan of awarding the DPoY award to guys simply because they are huge. (Echinique) I do not think he is a great defender, he is simply bigger than everybody else and clogs the lane. While that is certainly very valuable (we had the same thing with Eglseder), I think the DPoY should go to a guy who consistently guards the other team's best player, or at least someone who can move their feet and play actual defense.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 17th, 2012, 1:23 pm

McDermott is a national player of the year candidate for a reason. If I was starting a program he'd be the choice hands down. Stutz is a nice player, but I'm not sure I would even pick him over Carmichael to be honest.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » February 17th, 2012, 1:24 pm

valleychamp wrote:I am not a big fan of awarding the DPoY award to guys simply because they are huge. (Echinique) I do not think he is a great defender, he is simply bigger than everybody else and clogs the lane. While that is certainly very valuable (we had the same thing with Eglseder), I think the DPoY should go to a guy who consistently guards the other team's best player, or at least someone who can move their feet and play actual defense.

:+1:

For WSU I would hope Ben Smith and Murry get some consideration.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 17th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Can someone list the last 5-10 defensive POY? The Valley isn't known for huge lane cloggers so I suspect the award usually goes to a guard. Could be wrong.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » February 17th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Red wrote:Can someone list the last 5-10 defensive POY? The Valley isn't known for huge lane cloggers so I suspect the award usually goes to a guard. Could be wrong.

'03 Jamar Howard
'04 Darren Brooks
'05 Darren Brooks
'06 Patrick O'Bryant
'07 Randal Faulker
'08 Bryan Mullins
'09 Bryan Mullins
'10 Dinma Odiakosa
'11 Kwadzo Ahelgbe
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 17th, 2012, 1:42 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Red wrote:Can someone list the last 5-10 defensive POY? The Valley isn't known for huge lane cloggers so I suspect the award usually goes to a guard. Could be wrong.

'03 Jamar Howard
'04 Darren Brooks
'05 Darren Brooks
'06 Patrick O'Bryant
'07 Randal Faulker
'08 Bryan Mullins
'09 Bryan Mullins
'10 Dinma Odiakosa
'11 Kwadzo Ahelgbe

I had already forgotten Dinma won. I'd say it's probably a 3 man race between Rice, Odum, and Echenique.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby kochhead22 » February 17th, 2012, 1:54 pm

As much as i am a homer to my own team and players (as well as my dislike towards Creighton) i dont think Stutz should win POY even though he's having a hell of a season besides a few games. McD should be POY and if it wasnt for a couple bad weeks, where all the blame cant and shouldnt be placed on him, we wouldnt even be having this discussion. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season, especially to any of the MVC teams that will be in the NCAA tourney. Go SHOX!
kochhead22
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snapshot9 » February 17th, 2012, 1:55 pm

I think Toure Murry or even Ben Smith should get some consideration for DPoy. Ben Smith had the assignment to hold McDermott down in Omaha, and Weems down at our last home game, and did a good job.
Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball