It is official: Wichita State has been figured out

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: It is official: Wichita State has been figured out

Postby cpacmel » February 6th, 2013, 4:32 pm

valleychamp wrote:
cpacmel wrote:This is directly from the NCAA (june / 2012): http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/june/prop+approves+basketball+court-surface+rule

Committee members believe that charge/block calls in some cases were not made correctly, sometimes giving the defense an advantage.

To help address that circumstance, the committee approved guidelines to help better administer these rules:

Before the offensive player (with the ball) becomes airborne, the defender must have two feet on the floor, be facing the opponent and be stationary to draw a charge. Otherwise, it should be a blocking foul.
•Secondary defenders (help defenders) moving forward or to the side are also in violation and those should be blocking fouls.

Contact that is “through the chest” is not de facto proof of a charge. The rule in its entirety must be considered before determining a foul.

•In some cases, it appears a defender is being rewarded solely for being outside the arc, without considering the other aspects of the rules.

That explanation only accounts for the straightforward charge/block calls, specifically for a player going to the rim. It does not account for the instances of an offensive player pushing off, lowing his shoulder, ect which occur on all areas of the court.

Thanks mr. obvious :huh:

But We are talking about the goaltending play.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby cpacmel » February 6th, 2013, 4:33 pm

DawgieStyle wrote:and you know what? It really doesn't matter. One play did not determine 39 minutes and 50 seconds worth of other additional play.

If you're fixated on this one play as the reason you lost, you've conveniently ignored the entire rest of the game.

That is very true. Let's no forget Wichita State got a basket on what was an obvious shot clock violation with less than 7 minutes to play in the first half.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby cpacmel » February 6th, 2013, 4:34 pm

BCPanther wrote:Block/Charge is an absolute mess in the college game right now. They need to find the proper balance between rewarding the defender for moving his feet and staying in good defensive position and allowing the offensive player to make a move to the bucket. Getting a charge call is way too easy, especially for a secondary defender.

The first and biggest step is either moving the restricted area out to the NBA distance or eliminating it altogether. If you go to the NBA distance, it allows the offensive player access to the rim without having to worry about a secondary defender. If you eliminate it, it allows the referee to use his judgement as to whether an advantage was gained. Guys are being rewarded for getting outside the arc and that is the only determination being made by most officials. If he's out, its a charge, if he's in, its a block.

The rule was much better adjudicated without the line on the floor.

:+1:
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DawgieStyle » February 6th, 2013, 4:39 pm

cpacmel wrote:
How can one be back pedaling wilding and still have feet on the floor and be stationary?

I was being sarcastic in my question.
DawgieStyle
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby rlh04d » February 6th, 2013, 9:05 pm

DawgieStyle wrote:and you know what? It really doesn't matter. One play did not determine 39 minutes and 50 seconds worth of other additional play.

If you're fixated on this one play as the reason you lost, you've conveniently ignored the entire rest of the game.

I don't think many Shocker fans are trying to blame that call. A few might be, but every fanbase has those fans that will.

The only part I'm legitimately pissed off about was the referee ignoring Marshall calling a TO. Sorry, but that seems to happen a lot with MVC refs. I don't think it decided the game by any means, but I still think that's garbage.

Other than that, it's whatever. For some reason the Shockers are getting phenomenally frustrated by zone defenses. It is what it is ... we'll either figure it out and make the tournament, or we won't and we're going to have a bad end to the season. I'll be sad for what could have been if so, but I'll cheer regardless.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » February 6th, 2013, 11:06 pm

I agree that the ignoring of the timeout pissed me off more than anything. Check that. The team's play pissed me off more than anything.

It was a bad goaltending call at the end. There was also a missed travel. The non-charge call was the least of my gripes at the end.

DawgieStyle is making this out to be way more than it needs to be.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DawgieStyle » February 7th, 2013, 9:32 am

Me? I've visited shockernet to peak at what was said about the end of the game. Let me tell you, a lot of them certainly think one call determined the entire game.

I'm the one advocating, that call, at the end, wasn't the deciding factor of a game of 40 minutes, and I'm the one making a big deal out of it? compared to far more people blaming one judgement call for the results of an entire game.

I'm the one trying to downplay the importance of one border line call, and advocating for people to look at the entire 40 minutes of play, just not 10 seconds at the end.
DawgieStyle
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby shockem » February 7th, 2013, 10:15 am

complaining about the call, yes, but I don't think many shocker fans think that cost us the game. Most of the fans think we lost due to very low basketball IQ and playing with heads in sphincters.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby cpacmel » February 7th, 2013, 11:39 am

rlh04d wrote:
The only part I'm legitimately pissed off about was the referee ignoring Marshall calling a TO. Sorry, but that seems to happen a lot with MVC refs. I don't think it decided the game by any means, but I still think that's garbage.

shoxrox wrote:I agree that the ignoring of the timeout pissed me off more than anything.

Doesn't Marshall make like 1.5 mil a year?

You would think for that kind of coin he would have had the coaching smarts to tell one of the refs that we are going to inbound the ball and call time out at half court, so watch him for the time-out signal.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » February 7th, 2013, 1:29 pm

DawgieStyle wrote:Me? I've visited shockernet to peak at what was said about the end of the game. Let me tell you, a lot of them certainly think one call determined the entire game.

I'm the one advocating, that call, at the end, wasn't the deciding factor of a game of 40 minutes, and I'm the one making a big deal out of it? compared to far more people blaming one judgement call for the results of an entire game.

I'm the one trying to downplay the importance of one border line call, and advocating for people to look at the entire 40 minutes of play, just not 10 seconds at the end.

If you have a problem with what 4 posters said on Shockernet, go over there and bring it up with them. Has anyone over here said that the call was the difference in the game? Maybe some neutral fans, but not Shocker fans.

WSU should have never been in the position they were in. The missed calls were bad but I'm sure there were bad calls all night on both sides. The end.
Last edited by shoxrox on February 7th, 2013, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball