Ohio at Northern Iowa - Tuesday 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Ohio at Northern Iowa - Tuesday 7pm

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 20th, 2011, 4:24 pm

ouvan59 wrote:
MoValley John wrote:The Game is at Northern Iowa so I don't think there is any free video stream. The last couple of times I've tried to get UNI radio streams, they wanted me to pay. For some reason, UNI thinks they should charge.

I hope I'm wrong and there is a free stream, either radio or video, but I don't hold out much hope. If a UNI fan knows of a free stream, please, please let me know. The only Valley radio play by play worth paying for is Drake but even Dolph Pulliam is free.

http://www.drake.edu/magazine/?p=1102

Ohio fan here. Ohio will have a free radio stream. Russ Eisenstein (formerly of Illinois State and SIU) handles the call and does a very good job.

http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/ohio.portal#

Thanks for the link.

(I'm surprised that UNI doesn't try to charge opponents for the privilege of broadcasting UNI games).

I'm beginning to think the decision makers at UNI may not be too bright. Wouldn't the same fans that would presumably be the target audience for subscribing to the radio broadcasts just listen to free internet broadcasts by the opponent if they really wanted to hear the games? (Or do the UNI decision makers not realize there is such a thing as the internet? :huh: )

What is the business model that requires payment for radio broadcasts? Is this simply because UNI is flat broke and has to scrounge every penny possible? Is it really worth it?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » December 20th, 2011, 4:39 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:So, in order to listen to a UNI game on the radio, you have to hope that some small town radio station screws up or pay a fee? Nice way to treat your fans and drum up support for the program. I sure hope that UNI fans didn't make fun of Rivals subscriptions.

I think most of our fans either go to the game or simply turn on their radio. For those that live out of state, the subscription gives them access to video for many of the games, so it's not a terrible deal. This is pretty much the same model that Iowa and Iowa State have as well.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Jet915 » December 20th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Any chance more than 4K show up for this "crucial" game? Sucks there is no video.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » December 20th, 2011, 5:35 pm

I understand charging for video. Charging for radio is puzzling. I would be interested to see just how much revenue UNI makes off of the radio stream. Probably not much. I will now be listening to their opponents stream, listening to ads from boosters not associated with UNI. Your advertisers get nothing from this deal, you alienate potential fans and gain marginal revenue which probably costs as much to administer as it captures.
But what do I know.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » December 20th, 2011, 5:38 pm

unipanther99 wrote:I think most of our fans either go to the game or simply turn on their radio. For those that live out of state, the subscription gives them access to video for many of the games, so it's not a terrible deal. This is pretty much the same model that Iowa and Iowa State have as well.

So nothing for the casual observers or fans? DJA and MVJ are right on this and I firmly agree. It's hard to grow programs when information gets restricted to pay-only or if you only live within 50 miles of the greater Cedar Falls area. It's unfortunate. Really doesn't make sense considering D-2, D-3, and NAIA schools have radio links and a lot of em have FREE HD-quality video streams. It wreaks of small time.

I may be wrong but I think SIU also follows close to this danger zone regarding multimedia. And you have to wonder who would pay money to watch or listen to that product right now. You'd think they'd want it available for free to whoever.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » December 20th, 2011, 5:54 pm

The whole thing is shortsighted. You can buy cheap passes to both the Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers to watch the games outside of the seating areas. The San Francisco Giants have free knotholes in the outfield. Even the stupid Huskers have a jumbotron right outside the stadium for fans without tickets. UNI, on the other hand, charges for a radio stream... Dumb.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 20th, 2011, 6:01 pm

unipanther99 wrote:I think most of our fans either go to the game or simply turn on their radio. For those that live out of state, the subscription gives them access to video for many of the games, so it's not a terrible deal. This is pretty much the same model that Iowa and Iowa State have as well.

Is it true that one can't listen to free streams of Iowa and Iowa State games? I find that hard to believe, but I admit that I've never tried before.

As to the bolded part of the quote, it doesn't sound like they have much of choice unless they want to pay.

For schools in more remote areas, I think the pay to listen idea is even sillier. After all, most alums are going to move out of said rural areas to find jobs....Either the schools are looking to soak those alums or don't really give a crap about whether they want to stay involved in the athletic programs at their new homes.
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on December 20th, 2011, 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 20th, 2011, 6:04 pm

You don't have to tell me how stupid this is. We need to be able to listen to the games for free online. I go to all the games, but you can't build a fanbase if people can't listen or watch your team.

Guess what else. Our Des Moines affiliate which we just picked up a year or so ago is also the broadcast for ISU I believe. So if you listen on KXNO in Des Moines tonight you will hear Iowa State women's basketball. Granted they are playing UNI tonight as well, but still. Why are we on an affiliate where our men's basketball team gets bumped by Iowa State women's basketball?

I have not been impressed with our sports marketing people who are making these decisions.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » December 20th, 2011, 6:11 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

Is it true that one can't listen to free streams of Iowa and Iowa State games?

Thesis true. Another "Only in Iowa" situation.

Bunch of unemployed, meth addicted, gun toting, Jesus freaks with hunting dogs I say.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Trapped in CA » December 20th, 2011, 6:52 pm

UNI athletic department signed away the rights to all these decisions when they sold their souls to Learfield Sports. Granted, they got a fairly good price. That and Learfield has increased the number of stations UNI games are carried on, especially in western Iowa. You would have been hard pressed to know that there was a 3rd Regents institution in the state back in the 80s & early 90s. Some stations are tied in stronger that others, but it is getting better each year.

Hopefully some graduate will drop some obscene amount of money into the endowment soon. But until that day, pay up.
Trapped in CA
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball