Ohio at Northern Iowa - Tuesday 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » December 20th, 2011, 6:42 am

Big game tonight for UNI and the MVC. In RPI terms, it's #2 UNI vs #17 Ohio. I can't find the game listed for viewing yet - if anyone knows of one, please share.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ohio at Northern Iowa - Tuesday 7pm

Postby MoValley John » December 20th, 2011, 8:08 am

The Game is at Northern Iowa so I don't think there is any free video stream. The last couple of times I've tried to get UNI radio streams, they wanted me to pay. For some reason, UNI thinks they should charge.

I hope I'm wrong and there is a free stream, either radio or video, but I don't hold out much hope. If a UNI fan knows of a free stream, please, please let me know. The only Valley radio play by play worth paying for is Drake but even Dolph Pulliam is free.

http://www.drake.edu/magazine/?p=1102
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » December 20th, 2011, 8:59 am

Can someone tell me why UNI would schedule back to back games? Why waste your legs playing a D2 or 3 team yesterday and then come right back to play a good team like Ohio U. This is a big game and I feel like that could hurt them since Ohio will be coming in with fresher legs.

This would be a really nice win if UNI can pull it off.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » December 20th, 2011, 9:21 am

BirdmanBB wrote:Can someone tell me why UNI would schedule back to back games? Why waste your legs playing a D2 or 3 team yesterday and then come right back to play a good team like Ohio U. This is a big game and I feel like that could hurt them since Ohio will be coming in with fresher legs.

This would be a really nice win if UNI can pull it off.

The starters didn't play much.

Koch didn't play at all
Deon - 19 (avg 22)
Tuttle - 16 (22 avg)
Johnny - 17 (31 avg)
AJ - 18 (28 avg)

The subs (many of whom don't see a ton of minutes to begin with) saw all the minutes:
Chip Rank - 21 min (first career start, more than his average by about 6 min)
Marvin Singleton - career high 18 min (avg 7)
Matt Morrison - 22 (10 more than his average)
Marc Sonnen - 17 (7 less than his average)
Pehl - 23 has to be career high...averages 9
Max Martino 21 career high, average of about 9
Tyler Lange - 8 average of about 3

I wouldn't say last night was a drain on the legs....heck, given the way Jake runs some practices last night was easier than practice on the legs.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 20th, 2011, 10:06 am

This was they only date they could make the Ohio game work. They probably could have just dropped the Loras game, but it was a good chance for some of the bench to see some minutes and work through some different rotations.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdmanBB » December 20th, 2011, 10:17 am

That's pretty much what I was thinking without seeing the box score. Hopefully UNI can get a little more respect with a win here. Especially considering their one loss was at St. Mary's on a short trip early in the morning for ESPN's opening weekend.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 20th, 2011, 10:47 am

BirdmanBB wrote:Can someone tell me why UNI would schedule back to back games? Why waste your legs playing a D2 or 3 team yesterday and then come right back to play a good team like Ohio U. This is a big game and I feel like that could hurt them since Ohio will be coming in with fresher legs.

You do have to question some of UNI's scheduling decisions this year. Regardless of whether or not the main players got a lot of rest last night, it till seems a little dumb to schedule back to back games like this. Add to that the scheduling around the SMC game and one does kinda wonder what is going through the head of the scheduler at UNI.

On a relate note, I'm not one that believes a school needs a "statement win" or "signature win" to get an at large into the NCAA tournament. I do, however, believe that tonight's game gives UNI a pretty big chance at a win that will look really good to the selection committee and may be a necessary win for at large consideration purposes.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » December 20th, 2011, 10:49 am

Pretty big game for both teams. This will be a tough one to win, as Ohio is a very good team. We will have to play very well to win.

For us to get this W, get yet another quality win, and get to 11-1 going into MVC play would be amazing for our team. Dropping this one would kill a lot of momentum.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » December 20th, 2011, 10:51 am

The scheduling considerations are there. They haven't been great, but sometimes you have to gamble a little to get a quality schedule. I think the overall strength of schedule we have had to this point would indicate we gave ourselves a good pre-season test.

The Loras game had actually been scheduled for early in the year but had to be rescheduled for the St. Mary's game. The Ohio game was a late addition and this was the only date that fit. Too good of a game to pass up. The Loras contract was set, we would have had to pay them whether we played or not-might as well let the younger players play.

Max Martino and Marvin Singleton (current players #10-11 on the bench) came in with 14:48 left in the first half, Tyler Lange (walk-on, 12th player on the bench) came in with 8:26 left in the first half. Jake Koch didn't play at all (not feeling well) and Johnny Moran only took one shot and didn't score. Seven Panthers scored in double figures and we shot over 50% from the field, producing 16 Assists to only 5 turnovers. good warm-up coming back from Finals.

The Ohio game is a definite step up in competition and might be the best team we play in non-conference. Will need to play as well as we have been playing for the last several weeks. Wish they were a bigger name or from a bigger conference to open some eyes, but we'll take it as a quality game and test ourselves accordingly. Their only loss on the year is at Louisville by 5 points.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unifight789 » December 20th, 2011, 11:35 am

A note about Koch. Get sent home sick before the game yesterday (either had the flu real bad or food poisoning) I'd expect him to play today but will he be at full strength?
unifight789
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball