First Half All-MVC awards

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » December 26th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Now that we have reached the end of the out of conference season (excluding Bracket Busters), I thought I would share my All-MVC teams from the games played thus far. This is not a prediction of what will happen in the second half or who I think will win the actual awards in March... it is simply a recognition of what has happened thus far. It is my opinion only based on what I have seen.

Player of the Half-Year - Doug McDermott (Creighton). Tied for the nation's lead in scoring and shooting at a remarkable clip (63% FG, 57% 3-pt).

First team -

Joe Ragland - Wichita St

Jake Odum - Indiana St

Antoine Young - Creighton

Jackie Carmichael - Illinois St

I posted the full list on The MVC Report: At the break, our First-Half All-MVC team and award winners
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First Half All-MVC awards

Postby achrist70 » December 26th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Not sure how Seth Tuttle isn't even considered for freshman of the year, I am sure that most Panther fans would say that he has been more impressive than Deon to this point.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MVCfans » December 27th, 2011, 7:27 am

achrist70 wrote:Not sure how Seth Tuttle isn't even considered for freshman of the year, I am sure that most Panther fans would say that he has been more impressive than Deon to this point.

I certainly considered him.. shouldn't have left off the "also considered" list. To me, Mitchell's ability to replace Kwadzo has been the difference for UNI and I felt it was worthy of recognition. I could have chosen Nic Moore also, but again, UNI's success made me look to Mitchell.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » December 27th, 2011, 7:50 am

I'll start at the bottom. No issues with Jacobsen as COY.

Gibbs is a good choice for NOY. Hall is one to consider, and you can't ignore Bazooka's assists, but Gulley is also averaging double figures and greater than 5 boards. Tyler Brown is probably my runner-up at the moment.

For FOY, Mitchell is a reasonable choice, but Moore and Tuttle are better. Prosser is a sophomore.

POY = No brainer
First Team:
The three PGs; Ragland, Odum, Young. There are many others that fit in nicely, but I like those three. The fifth one could go a lot of ways, but I'll take Rice.

Second Team:
Weems over Patterson in a heartbeat. Carmichael, Brown, Seck, Koch.

Third Team:
Simons, Gibbs, James, Murry, Ryan, Richard, Stutz, Simms-Edwards over Lemon, Ekey, Harris
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 27th, 2011, 7:52 am

MVCfans wrote:
achrist70 wrote:Not sure how Seth Tuttle isn't even considered for freshman of the year, I am sure that most Panther fans would say that he has been more impressive than Deon to this point.

I certainly considered him.. shouldn't have left off the "also considered" list. To me, Mitchell's ability to replace Kwadzo has been the difference for UNI and I felt it was worthy of recognition. I could have chosen Nic Moore also, but again, UNI's success made me look to Mitchell.

How about Tuttle's ability to bring UNI from "non-existent" in the paint to "strong?"
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » December 27th, 2011, 8:01 am

I corrected the error/omission. There weren't a lot of differences between 1st/2nd or 2nd/HM teams, in my opinion. I went with Patterson over Weems, but I know an argument could be made either way.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ali » December 27th, 2011, 9:30 am

Splitting hairs. I'd hedge to Mitchell but both have been great.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » December 27th, 2011, 11:02 am

I give you a hell of a lot of credit for putting Carmichael on the first team instead of Ryan and Weems.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iSASO » January 14th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Anyone willing to give Garrett Stutz a nod for first team All-Valley? He's averaging 15 points and 9 boards per game in conference play, ahead of Paul Miller's pace of 2006 when he won POY.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 14th, 2012, 10:22 pm

iSASO wrote:Anyone willing to give Garrett Stutz a nod for first team All-Valley? He's averaging 15 points and 9 boards per game in conference play, ahead of Paul Miller's pace of 2006 when he won POY.

No.

Against Creighton, WSU was actually better with Stutz on the bench.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball