Missouri State at Creighton - 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State at Creighton - 7pm

Postby Kyle » December 28th, 2011, 9:30 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Kyle wrote:Here we go again. We beat up on each other and end up a one bid league.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far yet. The Valley has gotten a lot of good pub so far this year, and people really respect us as a conference right now.

I think we have enough good mojo from the non-conf season at this point to use some positive spin on this and point out that it shows the depth we have in the Valley...

I was only semi-serious. Of course this one single game doesn't kill the leagues chances, but make no mistake about it, this was not a good result for the MVC. CU will likely drop out of the top 25 unless they manage to come out of Wichita with a W.

A league like the Valley needs separation at the top to get multiple bids. A home loss by the team favored to win the league is not a good way to start getting that type of separation.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MVCfans » December 28th, 2011, 9:45 pm

Super impressed with the second half that Kyle Weems had - 25 points after the break. Bears certainly have Creighton's number. Jays could be 0-2 if they don't regroup quickly and somehow manage a win in Wichita, which won't be easy for any Valley team to do.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby FeartheQ » December 28th, 2011, 9:48 pm

I was pretty shocked. I knew it was possible, but with the way we have finished games in the past I was pretty nervous with 90 seconds to go.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » December 28th, 2011, 9:54 pm

FeartheQ wrote:I was pretty shocked. I knew it was possible, but with the way we have finished games in the past I was pretty nervous with 90 seconds to go.

We have the talent to play like we did tonight though. It's been said before but it's not reasonable to expect a team working in that many new players and with a 1st time head coach to not have some ups and downs. Maybe we've gotten most of the "downs" out of our system.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 28th, 2011, 10:02 pm

As a WSU fan I don't like this at all. The last thing WSU needs is a hungry CU team showing up in Wichita.

If CU has "attitude" after this loss and shows up in Wichita with a chip on their shoulder, it's possible the two teams consistently rated as the top two in the Valley each have a home loss in the first week of league play. I think getting a win against CU would have been more likely if CU hadn't lost this game.

WSU was getting a few votes in the polls. A 2-0 week with a W over CU would have put WSU either in the top 25 or real close. A win over CU isn't as "hot" right now and CU is the equivalent of an injured bear (Sorry, MSU fans, for using a figure of speech that includes your nickname).
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » December 28th, 2011, 10:14 pm

If Creighton loses Saturday, the MVC will lose a #19 ranked team and gain a #25 ranked team. Not good.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » December 28th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Agree that overall it is not a good result for the conference.

MSU isn't getting an at-large so knocking CU off their pedestal on their home floor slightly weakens the Valley's stature.

I'm also very concerned for a hungry CU team coming into Koch on Saturday. They aren't gonna take 0-2 very easily.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » December 28th, 2011, 11:10 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Agree that overall it is not a good result for the conference.

MSU isn't getting an at-large so knocking CU off their pedestal on their home floor slightly weakens the Valley's stature.

I'm also very concerned for a hungry CU team coming into Koch on Saturday. They aren't gonna take 0-2 very easily.

You are prolly right anyone not CU or WSU should prolly just roll over for the sake of the league. CU is horrible defensively not the Bears fault that they are a better team.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSUbballer » December 28th, 2011, 11:15 pm

beatingrillz wrote:You are prolly right anyone not CU or WSU should prolly just roll over for the sake of the league. CU is horrible defensively not the Bears fault that they are a better team.

Why are you putting words into my mouth? Where did I say that everyone should just role over and die? Instead of getting offended by my truthful remarks, why don't you take a breath and realize what I stated before overreacting like you typically do?

Because of MSU's poor non-con performance, they are not going to the NCAA Tournament by way of an at-large bid. And because of that, when they beat our "perceived" good teams on their home floors, it diminishes the conference stature. Where did I state that MSU should role over? I didn't. But the result tonight does hurt the conference a tad. And no, I'm not asking for an apology from MSU fans. I'm just making a factual statement.

Moving on.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » December 28th, 2011, 11:16 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Agree that overall it is not a good result for the conference.

I guess that's why they play the games. If you don't like it then shut up and play and defend the home court. It's the job of the "leaders" of the Valley to produce the tournament worthy teams not for the low lifes to roll over and let them coast
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball