3rd best team in the MVC is...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 3rd best team in the MVC is...

Postby WooHoo » February 29th, 2012, 11:27 am

Good teams tend to get the breaks. One game between two opponents is not always a good measuring stick to determine the goodness or badness of an opponent. Davidson beat Kansas on a neutral floor. Davidson may have been the better team that day, but they are not the better opponent overall. Just like a 14-14 team losing by 1 to a 26-4 team doesn't make the 14-14 team as good as the 26-4 team. That is determined over the long course of the season, not by 1 game, which still resulted in a loss. UConn would be an NCAA lock if they were given passes on all of their close losses. Teams are ultimately judged by how many wins and losses they have and who they have won and lost against.
WooHoo
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » February 29th, 2012, 11:28 am

WooHoo wrote:Good teams tend to get the breaks. One game between two opponents is not always a good measuring stick to determine the goodness or badness of an opponent. Davidson beat Kansas on a neutral floor. Davidson may have been the better team that day, but they are not the better opponent overall. Just like a 14-14 team losing by 1 to a 26-4 team doesn't make the 14-14 team as good as the 26-4 team. That is determined over the long course of the season, not by 1 game, which still resulted in a loss. UConn would be an NCAA lock if they were given passes on all of their close losses. Teams are ultimately judged by how many wins and losses they have and who they have won and lost against.

Agreed.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » March 4th, 2012, 12:40 am

Illinois State
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sanantoniobird » March 4th, 2012, 5:18 am

Witchita State
sanantoniobird
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MSUDuo » March 4th, 2012, 5:58 am

sanantoniobird wrote:Witchita State

Based on?
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » March 4th, 2012, 7:48 am

MSUDuo wrote:

Based on?

I don't see how anyone could make a case for WSU as the 3rd best team in the MVC. To me it's pretty obvious that is Illinois State.

A better question if CU wins the tournament would be who is #1 and who is #2? You could make a pretty good case for both CU and WSU for #1
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 4th, 2012, 8:13 am

That's Sycamore speak. Not that Indiana State doesn't deserve credit for their accomplishment, it's that they always said "MVC champ," not "MVC tournament champ."

As to WSU or CU, WSU still has a better record at 17-3 than CUs 16-4 and counting...close call though.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 4th, 2012, 9:13 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I want to say Missouri State, but I think it might be Illinois State.

I said this on January 26th. Sorry just patting myself on the back a little bit here.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » March 4th, 2012, 9:25 am

Wufan wrote:Not that Indiana State doesn't deserve credit for their accomplishment, it's that they always said "MVC champ," not "MVC tournament champ."

The signs provided by the conference itself to the tourney champs say, "Missouri Valley Conference Champions."
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 4th, 2012, 10:38 am

Is there a Trophy for both or just to the Tourney Champion?

This is an honest question. I don't recall there being two trophies, but I could be wrong.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball