Northern Iowa at Wichita State - Wed 2/8

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Northern Iowa at Wichita State - Wed 2/8

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 8th, 2012, 11:47 am

Hail Our Panthers wrote:Hopefully UNI will again play to their level of competition. We've had some success at CHA but I don't know if we can go in there and win without Kwadzo

You got that right about Kwadzo. For his career, the Shockers are a big, fat zero in defending against him.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » February 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
Hail Our Panthers wrote:Hopefully UNI will again play to their level of competition. We've had some success at CHA but I don't know if we can go in there and win without Kwadzo

You got that right about Kwadzo. For his career, the Shockers are a big, fat zero in defending against him.

Kwadzo was 2-2 in Wichita against the Shockers in his career, winning as a freshman and a senior. He lost as a sophomore and junior. We won the year he was out with shoulder surgeries after his freshman season.

As for tonight, if UNI can keep it lower scoring they can stay in it. If WSU forces turnovers and gets the score up, UNI can't keep up unless they somehow shoot 60%. If I had to guess, I would guess more of a slow, close game but I really fear a let-down after Saturday.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 8th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Not that this wasn't an exciting game pre-Creighton losses, but things are even more interesting tonight than they appeared to be last Friday.

Looking forward to a good game! WSU needs to start hitting some 3s (we're due) and ride Stutz for 40 minutes!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 8th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Kyle wrote:Not to continue the off topic banter, but the CU game was not the best game ever in the McLeod Center.

Top 5 maybe, but not the best.

Who said "the best."

I stand by the belief that in terms of fan interest, the game against Creighton was almost certainly the biggest home game for UNI in the McLeod center (and perhaps ever). If, as you stated, there were 4 others above it, name them. (Probably should make sure that those games were sell out crowds and that the students stormed the floor, because if either of those didn't happen, it wasn't as big of a game by comparison. ) :Cheers:

Good luck tonight.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » February 8th, 2012, 4:09 pm

We are all just shocked that you believe that, DJA.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 8th, 2012, 4:42 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Kyle wrote:Not to continue the off topic banter, but the CU game was not the best game ever in the McLeod Center.

Top 5 maybe, but not the best.

Who said "the best."

I stand by the belief that in terms of fan interest, the game against Creighton was almost certainly the biggest home game for UNI in the McLeod center (and perhaps ever). If, as you stated, there were 4 others above it, name them. (Probably should make sure that those games were sell out crowds and that the students stormed the floor, because if either of those didn't happen, it wasn't as big of a game by comparison. ) :Cheers:

Good luck tonight.

Sorry not even the most people we have ever had in the McLeod Center. It was sold out, but wasn't full. Announced crowd of only 6910. That is a far cry from the 7332 that we had for Illinois State in 2010 or 7293 for the Drake game in 2008. Heck even the WSU game last year had more people than that.

Granted we didn't storm the court any of those times, but I guarantee had we beat Drake in 2008 we would have.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » February 8th, 2012, 4:49 pm

I'd be curious too what games in the short history of the McLeod Center were bigger than last weekend's CU tilt, but that's just the curious in me.

Aside from that, as a WSU fan, I have no confidence in the Shocks winning tonight. I would suspect most people would have anticipated WSU winning more than 5 of the last 15. UNI is usually underrated and overlooked (more often than not) due to their lack of (perceived) athletic presence.

If history has taught us one thing, it's that Jake schemes WSU very well, and that his team usually outperforms the Shocks. WSU will be fortunate, if not lucky, to win tonight.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » February 8th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Drake game in '08 (ranked in top 15)
Evansville game in '09 (clinched MVC title)
Old Dominion Game in '10 (huge brackebuster game)
WSU game in '10 (was thought to be defacto championship game)
Illinois State game in '10 (Senior night, cut down nets again)
Creighton game in '12 (ranked in top 15, buzzer beater W)
+all of the Iowa/ISU games, though they havent been as "big" lately, they have still been fun games.

Those are the biggest games in the Mcleod Center's short history, IMO. If you want to go before Mcleod was built, UNI hosted a ton of huge games in the dome as well, which included clinching our first NCAA tournament berth in 1990 in front of a gigantic crowd, several huge games between the in-state rivals, and beating a ranked Iowa team in front of 22,000 people.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » February 8th, 2012, 5:41 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Who said "the best."

Good luck tonight.

LOL. You're right DJA, the 1990 UNI vs Iowa game in front of 22,676 pales in comparison to the CU game last week.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » February 8th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Kyle wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Who said "the best."

Good luck tonight.

LOL. You're right DJA, the 1990 UNI vs Iowa game in front of 22,676 pales in comparison to the CU game last week.

The only reason there was 22000 is because the Bluejays weren't playing that night and the Creighton faithful came out to cheer on their Valley bretheren.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball