Is Creighton University Playing Their Way Onto The Bubble?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Is Creighton University Playing Their Way Onto The Bubbl

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 8th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:My head is swimming. I guess my four college degrees went to waste.

I have actually seen the Blue Birds play live. I have watched them on TV several times.

If the Blue Birds do not make the Big Dance, I am returning the degrees to Texas A&M and Wichita State.

There Double Jay. You should be in shock (pun intended). I said something nice about the Blue Birds again.

I am in shock!

What's with all the pretty colors?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle » February 8th, 2012, 2:27 pm

jaybydna wrote:What is the difference in the nitty gritty report? CU has a 8-3 road record, 3-1 versus top 50, 5-3 versus top 100. What was UNI back then (I honestly don't know).

Also, the bubble this year is VERY weak. Lunardi basically says there are 16 teams within a fraction of each other. CU is likely better than all 16.

No questions this is a weaker field than in 2009-2010. Here are the 09-10 UNI numbers.

Road Record: 9-3
vs RPI top 50: 4-1
vs RPI top 100: 10-1

Bad losses: 2 (vs 212 DePaul and vs 250 EU)
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » February 8th, 2012, 2:55 pm

jaybydna wrote:What is the difference in the nitty gritty report? CU has a 8-3 road record, 3-1 versus top 50, 5-3 versus top 100. What was UNI back then (I honestly don't know).

Also, the bubble this year is VERY weak. Lunardi basically says there are 16 teams within a fraction of each other. CU is likely better than all 16.

If there is any glaring part on that resume, it is the 8 games vs the top 100 with only 2 more on their schedule. I still think they are fine, but I might agree with those that are fretting over the potential for an iffy seed.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » February 8th, 2012, 3:54 pm

3 losses would put WSU in a real pickle. Lose to MSU, Davidson, and the QF in STL and they'd be in real terrible

I think CU is fine as most have them at a 4-6 seed right now and some of the teams at a 11-12 seeds are absolutely pathetic of being mentioned for an at-large
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » February 8th, 2012, 4:01 pm

MSUDuo wrote:3 losses would put WSU in a real pickle. Lose to MSU, Davidson, and the QF in STL and they'd be in real terrible

While I don't necessarily disagree with the above, I don't quite see the relevance to this discussion. On the plus side of your scenerio, with only one more conference loss (and a win against Creighton) WSU would be the outright Conference Champions. Since we aren't the Bears, I'd say that gives us a pretty strong chance of getting in.

Also of note, I'm more worried about @ CU, UNI at home, @ Davidson and @ Ill St than the Bears in Koch Arena. If Simons is back then I'm more worried about Drake as well. Plus, I'd put the Quarters, Semis, and Finals in St Louis ahead of all of the above...So, I guess MSU might be a trap game since it's the one game that doesn't concern me between here and Selection Sunday. Is that what you were getting at?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » February 8th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Note: this was posted before the game yesterday, but ESPN had Creighton as a "lock" in their updated Bubble Watch. Here is their Wichita State synopsis as a team that "Should be in":

Wichita State [20-4 (11-2), RPI: 29, SOS: 95] Wichita State's tournament profile doesn't quite do it justice; on an adjusted, tempo-free statistical basis, the Shockers are one of the best 15 teams in the country. Their tournament résumé doesn't encapsulate all that, but it does feature a huge 19-point win over UNLV and just one loss outside the RPI top 100. The Shockers moved into a first-place tie in the Missouri Valley thanks to Creighton's last-second loss at UNI on Saturday, and two huge games -- vs. UNI, at Creighton -- are on tap this week. Should be fun.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ace Dad » February 11th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Same opinions?

No way did I expect the Shocks to dominate in Omaha.

Easy to fall out of Top 25. Harder for WSU to play their way into the Top 25.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » February 11th, 2012, 6:12 pm

CU's resume is still better than many. We're playing like crap though right now.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 11th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Same opinions?

No way did I expect the Shocks to dominate in Omaha.

Easy to fall out of Top 25. Harder for WSU to play their way into the Top 25.

No one was more sure of the Jays making the tournament than I.

I must admit that I have some teensy doubt. Mainly, the cause of the doubt is the spread in the score of today's home loss for the Jays plus three losses in a row.

I still think the probability of the Jays making the tournament is >95%.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GarH » February 11th, 2012, 6:39 pm

I don't think they are on the bubble yet, but they obviously need to start winning again or they will be.
GarH
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball