Valley Player of the Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Player of the Year

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 17th, 2012, 2:57 pm

valleychamp wrote:I am not a big fan of awarding the DPoY award to guys simply because they are huge. (Echinique) I do not think he is a great defender, he is simply bigger than everybody else and clogs the lane. While that is certainly very valuable (we had the same thing with Eglseder), I think the DPoY should go to a guy who consistently guards the other team's best player, or at least someone who can move their feet and play actual defense.

With all due respect, Egleseder and Echenique are not even close to being the same players defensively. While Egleseder certainly meets your description of not being able to move their feet and play actual defense, Echenique does those things.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » February 17th, 2012, 3:26 pm

I agree with DBJs assessment of Greg here. He does not allow bigs to post deep on him due to his great lower body strenth. He's also a little like reverse quick sand. The more you move and try to establish position, the further he pushes you off the block. Impressive lowerbody strength and footspeed combo, and it's even more effective against a guy like Stutz due to the lower center of mass. Ben Smith was able to do similar work against Doug McD due to his strength, footspeed, and lower center of mass in the lane. Creighton should pass the ball to Greg E much more than they do. I expect big offensive numbers from him as a senior.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » February 17th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Wufan wrote:I agree with DBJs assessment of Greg here. He does not allow bigs to post deep on him due to his great lower body strenth. He's also a little like reverse quick sand. The more you move and try to establish position, the further he pushes you off the block. Impressive lowerbody strength and footspeed combo, and it's even more effective against a guy like Stutz due to the lower center of mass. Ben Smith was able to do similar work against Doug McD due to his strength, footspeed, and lower center of mass in the lane. Creighton should pass the ball to Greg E much more than they do. I expect big offensive numbers from him as a senior.

Yeah, GE definitely needs to get the ball more down low. Especially now that he is hitting his FTs. He only shoots like 5 or 6 times a game....
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » February 18th, 2012, 8:58 am

GE, Smith, and Pickens are the only 3 that I see as obvious defensive unit guys with Murry likely too. Smith would be my DPOY. Odum????
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » February 18th, 2012, 9:24 am

I think Echenique is one of the better defensive posts we've seen in the MVC lately. Physically he's got all the tools but he also works hard on defense. What I don't understand is why he disappears on offense for long stretches? I know at times he doesn't get many touches but it also seems like he doesn't look for or demand the ball much.

Maybe that's more a GM decision though than GE not looking for the ball. Either way though it's a waste. IMO anyway.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 18th, 2012, 10:53 am

DawgieStyle wrote:biggest stat that jumps out for me for McDermott, isn't his scoring, it's also his rebounding.

You finally said something that I agree with you - rebounding. On this very fine forum, I have stated before that he has a very good nose for rebounding. Paul Silas like....sorta.

D Mac is not a very good defender. However, unless it is Michael Jordan, I suspect most voters do not consider defense.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 18th, 2012, 12:42 pm

glm38 wrote:I think Echenique is one of the better defensive posts we've seen in the MVC lately. Physically he's got all the tools but he also works hard on defense. What I don't understand is why he disappears on offense for long stretches? I know at times he doesn't get many touches but it also seems like he doesn't look for or demand the ball much.

Maybe that's more a GM decision though than GE not looking for the ball. Either way though it's a waste. IMO anyway.

Our guards are miserable at feeding the post, especially our PG. On top of that defenses are crowding the paint and sagging off our guards.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TrueBlueJay » February 19th, 2012, 12:15 am

Any further questions or can we shut this thread down now?
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » February 19th, 2012, 12:17 am

Doug was pretty good today, I'll give you that.

I would like to suggest that Joe Ragland is the MVC POY this year because... :Cheers:
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TrueBlueJay » February 19th, 2012, 12:19 am

WSU has many fine players and Ragland has been huge for them, especially down the stretch here.
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball