Valley Player of the Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Player of the Year

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 9th, 2012, 9:40 am

ShockValue wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not MVP right? It's most outstanding player.

Does it matter?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » February 9th, 2012, 9:40 am

There are a ton of voters who's own team had no answer for Doug. He'll win the award almost unanimously.

That being said, IF (big IF) WSU runs the table and Garrett finishes the final 4 games like the last 6-8, it might be closer than people would think.

If Garrett were a little more dominant defensively, I think he'd be right in the mix, especially since Doug is an average defender, at BEST.

All that being said, Garrett couldn't possibly care less, and in fact hasn't given the thought one second of his time. The ONLY focus is on winning games, and an MVC Championship.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 9th, 2012, 9:42 am

2livewu wrote:All that being said, Garrett couldn't possibly care less, and in fact hasn't given the thought one second of his time. The ONLY focus is on winning games, and an MVC Championship.

How can you possibly know this?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShockValue » February 9th, 2012, 9:46 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
ShockValue wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not MVP right? It's most outstanding player.

Does it matter?

It might not matter this year, but knowing the voting criteria is important.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DawgieStyle » February 9th, 2012, 9:49 am

ShockValue wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:

Does it matter?

It might not matter this year, but knowing the voting criteria is important.

I don't think anyone said the criteria wasn't important. What people are saying is that no matter how you stack up the criteria or what criteria you use, Doug McDermott is the best player in the valley on all accounts.
DawgieStyle
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ShockValue » February 9th, 2012, 10:07 am

I made it very clear on the first page I think McDermott should win. He's in a different class than the rest of the league and the national people have noticed which has been good for all of us.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockem » February 9th, 2012, 10:25 am

As much as everyone hates to hear it, this award is not already decided. CU and WSU play on Saturday. That game could have an impact on the league title. Doug and Garrett's performance in that game will be watched by many many people in the league and on a national basis. Their individual performances in that game will weigh on people's minds when they fill out their ballots.

When Paul Miller won the award in 2006, he wasn't anywhere near the top of the charts in the offensive categories. He was simply the main guy that carried a team to the championship. Good or bad, right or wrong, Garrett Stutz may actually win the award if WSU wins the league outright.

Until then, we have a lot of very important games to play. I can't wait until Saturday.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DawgieStyle » February 9th, 2012, 10:35 am

shockem wrote:As much as everyone hates to hear it, this award is not already decided. CU and WSU play on Saturday. That game could have an impact on the league title. Doug and Garrett's performance in that game will be watched by many many people in the league and on a national basis. Their individual performances in that game will weigh on people's minds when they fill out their ballots.

When Paul Miller won the award in 2006, he wasn't anywhere near the top of the charts in the offensive categories. He was simply the main guy that carried a team to the championship. Good or bad, right or wrong, Garrett Stutz may actually win the award if WSU wins the league outright.

Until then, we have a lot of very important games to play. I can't wait until Saturday.

I'm not trying to troll, or start a fight, but why is it only Shocker fans think Anyone but McDermott is a lock for this award. Could it be that you are bit bias? Seriously, if you're being objective, looking at the national picture, the stats for both non con. and conf. McDermott is gonna win this award in a land slide.

As someone stated earlier. How can a guy who at best is going to be a first team all American, and at worst second team, not win the best player awards in his own conference.

Trust me, I'm no Creighton fan, most SIU fans aren't. So this has nothing to do with love for a Creighton player and everything to do with reading the writing on the wall.

Put aside your personal team interest and bias, and try to be objective.

By the way, just because people see McDermott as the best player, doesn't mean they think Stutz is a bad player. He's very good, just not better than McDermott. It's nothing personal or vindictive.
DawgieStyle
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TrueBlueJay » February 9th, 2012, 11:46 am

Stutz should win it, especially after he mops the floor with the Bluejays on Saturday.
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby valleychamp » February 9th, 2012, 12:33 pm

McDermott should win the award, and McDermott will win the award. Plain and simple.

Stutz is good, and you can try and make a compelling argument, especially if WSU ends up winning the league. But it isn't going to be enough. Doug is the best player, with the best numbers, on a good team. He will win.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball