Valley Player of the Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Player of the Year

Postby Aces1982 » February 9th, 2012, 12:57 pm

I recall lots of people telling Tree fans they were out of their mind when comparing Odum and Doug. Almost to the point of laughing them off the site. Now some Shocker fans doing the samething.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby iSASO » February 9th, 2012, 1:01 pm

McDermott wins and it's not close. Period. Who is this Stutz you speak of?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » February 9th, 2012, 1:09 pm

I personally could care less who wins the award. I just honestly think that if the Bluejays lose on Saturday and the Shockers win the conference outright, Stutz may actually win the award. A lot of things have to happen between now and then for all that to come together and I expect this board to go into full meltdown if it does occur.

The fact that we're watching 2 potential NBA players duke out out in the MVC is a rarity and there's no need to get all bent out of shape about it.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DawgieStyle » February 9th, 2012, 1:15 pm

shockem wrote:I personally could care less who wins the award. I just honestly think that if the Bluejays lose on Saturday and the Shockers win the conference outright, Stutz may actually win the award. A lot of things have to happen between now and then for all that to come together and I expect this board to go into full meltdown if it does occur.

The fact that we're watching 2 potential NBA players duke out out in the MVC is a rarity and there's no need to get all bent out of shape about it.

let's put another spin on this. Stutz is a senior and McDermott is a sophomore and is basically out playing the senior.

Case closed.
DawgieStyle
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby RoyalShock » February 9th, 2012, 1:22 pm

I do think there is an important distinction between "POY" and "MVP". The POY award should go to whoever is the best player in the league, regardless of where his team finishes. An MVP should go to whoever played the most vital role in his team finishing high in the standings. In other words, which player could his team least afford to be without?

The MVC awards a POY. There is no question in my mind that should go to McDermott. If the MVC also awarded an MVP and WSU finished on top, Stutz would be a worthy recipient, as would McDermott, Ryan and Weems.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DawgieStyle » February 9th, 2012, 1:24 pm

RoyalShock wrote:I do think there is an important distinction between "POY" and "MVP". The POY award should go to whoever is the best player in the league, regardless of where his team finishes. An MVP should go to whoever played the most vital role in his team finishing high in the standings. In other words, which player could his team least afford to be without?

The MVC awards a POY. There is no question in my mind that should go to McDermott. If the MVC also awarded an MVP and WSU finished on top, Stutz would be a worthy recipient, as would McDermott, Ryan and Weems.

I would argue McDermott is clearly both of those.
DawgieStyle
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Aargh » February 9th, 2012, 3:18 pm

This discussion should be about how the voters place their votes. There have been deserving players on teams in the bottom half of the conference who get no votes at all. The voters have clearly gone away from voting for the "best" player. They tend to vote for the player who did the most to help their team win the league.

There's another thing the voters have done - give their vote to a Sr when there's a more deserving underclassman. The thought is that the underclassman has another opportunity to win the award.

Discussing who is the better player is pointless. The voters haven't voted that way in my memory unless the best player in the league just happens to be on the best team in the league (Weems last year).
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 9th, 2012, 4:33 pm

DawgieStyle wrote:I'm not trying to troll, or start a fight, but why is it only Shocker fans think Anyone but McDermott is a lock for this award. Could it be that you are bit bias? Seriously, if you're being objective, looking at the national picture, the stats for both non con. and conf. McDermott is gonna win this award in a land slide.

As someone stated earlier. How can a guy who at best is going to be a first team all American, and at worst second team, not win the best player awards in his own conference.

Of note, this thread was not started by a Shocker fan. It was a successful trolling effort by the OP. Other than a few Shocker fans that had brought up the fact that Stutz is having a better season than our previous MVC POY, Paul Miller, this hasn't been discussed. It was a nice bait and switch and shame on me for getting involved.

Outside of this board, I've only heard one mention of MVC POY this year and it was during the UNI/WSU game last night in which the color guy said that Stutz was HIS POY over McDermott. He then backtracked and said that if CU won the MVC he would probably take Doug.

As to the question of how can a First Team AA NOT win the POY award? Well, simply, it is voted on with different criteria by different people.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 9th, 2012, 4:35 pm

DawgieStyle wrote:Only some completely biased, nonobjective, school color tinted glasses wearing idiot, would suggest someone other than McDermott winning this award.

I can't believe there is even a discussion about this.

True. That person would be Prickly Pete...not a Shocker fan.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 9th, 2012, 4:37 pm

DawgieStyle wrote:biggest stat that jumps out for me for McDermott, isn't his scoring, it's also his rebounding.

Why? He isn't leading the league in that. His rebounding per 40 minutes is several boards below Stutz.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball