Evansville at Drake (7:05) - ESPNU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville at Drake (7:05) - ESPNU

Postby PantherSigEp » February 13th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Wufan wrote:No question that Drake plus VanDeest and Simons is right there... No question that there is an argument for Drake to have top three talent. Truth is that other than SVD, RR, and Simons, there are very few Bulldows that would play on another team in the Valley sans BU. Jeffers and Madison someday, but not this year.

:+1:
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » February 13th, 2012, 8:42 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
davidfast wrote:
bluejays89 wrote:WSU and Creighton have more talent than Drake, sorry.

That would still fall under top 3.......

I will agree that Drake has some very good talent but easily may be going too far. If that talent were easily that far ahead of say UNI, Missouri State and Illinois State, then why have you been trounced by each of those teams (the two former, twice)? I'm not saying that the Rayvonte Rice Show doesn't have better talent than those teams but I would be careful about saying they are miles ahead.

As far as freshman/sophomores go you guys have Rice, Jeremy Jeffers and Karl Madison and that doesn't scare me in the slightest since who knows if Rayvonte will still be around next year.

Although Van Deest and Uhlenhopp aren't technically freshmen or sophomores, they will both reclassify to redshirt-junior status next season. So, for all practical purposes, they are currently in the sophomore class (eligibility).
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Drakey » February 13th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Wufan wrote:No question that Drake plus VanDeest and Simons is right there... No question that there is an argument for Drake to have top three talent. Truth is that other than SVD, RR, and Simons, there are very few Bulldows that would play on another team in the Valley sans BU. Jeffers and Madison someday, but not this year.

So every player on every team in the Valley is better than everybody on Drake's team except for Simons and Rice? I guess Phelps IS a great coach.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » February 13th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Drakey wrote:

So every player on every team in the Valley is better than everybody on Drake's team except for Simons and Rice? I guess Phelps IS a great coach.

IMO, not one of the other Drake players is in the top 10 at their respective position this year.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 13th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Based on what I saw yesterday, every player on Drake's team could get major minutes for Evansville.

While I agree that there is a big dropoff from Rice/Simons/Van Deest to the rest of the team, I think you're overstating your point. There are several other guys on Drake's team who would be in the rotation at most MVC schools. They might not be starters, and they wouldn't be stars, but they could get minutes.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » February 13th, 2012, 9:50 pm

DU, it gets a little hard to evaluate once you get past the starters/6th man, so I might be a little off. If I went thru the rankings though, I just don't see it.

OTOH, Rice, Simons, and VanDeest are really good and you have a couple of nice freshman. Drake is just a year away, that's all.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby davidfast » February 14th, 2012, 12:35 am

PantherSigEp wrote:As Wufan has pointed out, I mistook you for Drakey you made that assumption. I did not take care to notice this mistake and I apologize davidfast.

No harm no foul right :)
davidfast
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 14th, 2012, 7:13 am

You may change your opinion late Saturday afternoon the 25th of Feb.
Last edited by musiccitybulldog on February 14th, 2012, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 14th, 2012, 7:34 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:

You may change your opinion late Saturday afternoon the 25th of Feb.

My goodness...I'm not trying to say anything negative about your team, but I am asking for some realism here. Very few teams would fair as well as Drake has with so many personnel losses. They will be quite good next year. There is a lot of talent at Drake, and i would venture to say that the 8th -12th best players at Drake are better than most. That doesn't mean they are EASILY top 3 talent. It doesn't mean their coach is horrible and that any bozo could win there. It means that they need their top three and Ullenhopp to be healthy. They need to be a year older.

Kudos to Drake for beating WSU already. The best team won that night. Good luck the rest of the way. I doubt the 25th will change my opinion much on how I would rate Madison, Clarke, and Jeffers regardless of the result.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoBraves » February 14th, 2012, 9:32 am

uniftw wrote:Image

Kinda' funny seeing "Rivalry Week" on the TV screen and about 1,000 fans in attendance.
And since when was Evansville-DU a rivalry?
What does it take to get more people to come out to the Drake games? 20+ wins?
Just a shame - 'cause this Drake team is not terrible and fun to watch on a good day.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball