Evansville at Drake (7:05) - ESPNU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville at Drake (7:05) - ESPNU

Postby purple&orange » February 13th, 2012, 4:02 am

Drake has UE's number. They've done the best job on Colt of anyone in the conference, and once they hit a couple shots early they continued throughout. I've only seen Drake twice, 3 OT vs Wichita and tonight and they looked really good both nights. Phelps can't be all bad can he, he's off to the best start in school history according to Holtus.

I'll say this about UE, they are resilient. They've been bad too many times this season, but have responded well with good performances the next time out. Not sure why, but this roller coaster effect has been going on all season long. It'd be just like UE to go out and win at home vs UNI, then lose to Western Illinois in the bracketbuster. Anything is possible with this group. If I were a UNI fan I'd be confident too, but they don't matter and neither does our level of confidence. It's just an opinion and mine is that UE will be much better and it'll be a close game on Wednesday, it's been the calling card this season.

Give Drake the credit, they played well, took advantage of the UE mistakes (and there were quite a few) and just flat out dominated the last 10+ minutes and outside of the UE run to cut it to 1, controlled the entire night.

To me being 3-6 is worthless when all is said and done this year, although I sure hope UE doesn't see Drake again this season. The key is avoiding the extra game on Thursday and hopefully avoiding WSU or CU until Saturday but finishing in that logjam in any order is the goal and there is still a lot of work to be done in that regard for Evansville.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby davidfast » February 13th, 2012, 8:46 am

bluejays89 wrote:
Drakey wrote:Drake easily has the top 3 talent in the Valley. For some odd reason the Bulldogs started pushing the ball upcourt tonight, which they never are allowed to do, and Phelps didn't stop them. I think maybe it happened too fast for him to realize what was going on. If Drake had been allowed to play this way all season they would be second in the Valley, but unfortunately they have lost to teams with inferior talent all season long.

WSU and Creighton have more talent than Drake, sorry.

That would still fall under top 3.......
davidfast
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Kyle » February 13th, 2012, 9:20 am

purple&orange wrote:Phelps can't be all bad can he, he's off to the best start in school history according to Holtus.

Wait a minute. You're not serious are you?
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » February 13th, 2012, 9:55 am

That is bull. That is propoganda Holtus got from Drake. Phelps had more victories in his first four years at Drake than any other coach. That was the result of playing 30 games a year, not his icredible winning percentage. i would also venture a guess that he may be the only coach in Drake history to start with a winning season, as most coaches at Drake have started their careers after replacing another failed coach, as opposed to one who won 28 games the year before.
Last edited by Drakey on February 13th, 2012, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » February 13th, 2012, 10:06 am

Ok, I thought he was saying Drake is off to the best start in school history this year.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 13th, 2012, 11:28 am

Ace Dad wrote:
Drakey wrote:Drake easily has the top 3 talent in the Valley. For some odd reason the Bulldogs started pushing the ball upcourt tonight, which they never are allowed to do, and Phelps didn't stop them. I think maybe it happened too fast for him to realize what was going on. If Drake had been allowed to play this way all season they would be second in the Valley, but unfortunately they have lost to teams with inferior talent all season long.

Fanspeak.

Along with horse feathers.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 13th, 2012, 1:15 pm

davidfast wrote:
bluejays89 wrote:

I will agree that Drake has some very good talent but easily may be going too far. If that talent were easily that far ahead of say UNI, Missouri State and Illinois State, then why have you been trounced by each of those teams (the two former, twice)? I'm not saying that the Rayvonte Rice Show doesn't have better talent than those teams but I would be careful about saying they are miles ahead.

As far as freshman/sophomores go you guys have Rice, Jeremy Jeffers and Karl Madison and that doesn't scare me in the slightest since who knows if Rayvonte will still be around next year.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 13th, 2012, 1:45 pm

I'd put Drake right with Ill St. for second most non-senior talent in the league, but behind MSU and WSU for "most talent."

If we're talking "this year," and I think we are, then IMO it's:

WSU
Creighton
MSU
Drake/Ill St

For me, Drake is EASILY mid-pack...which is where they are currently playing. If Drake and Ill St don't finish in the top 4 next year (maybe top 3), then I think it's easy to let the coaches go.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby davidfast » February 13th, 2012, 1:55 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
davidfast wrote:
bluejays89 wrote:

I will agree that Drake has some very good talent but easily may be going too far. If that talent were easily that far ahead of say UNI, Missouri State and Illinois State, then why have you been trounced by each of those teams (the two former, twice)? I'm not saying that the Rayvonte Rice Show doesn't have better talent than those teams but I would be careful about saying they are miles ahead.

As far as freshman/sophomores go you guys have Rice, Jeremy Jeffers and Karl Madison and that doesn't scare me in the slightest since who knows if Rayvonte will still be around next year.

All I was pointing out is the fact 1 + 1 + 1 = 3

Trounced by Ill. St.? Well Drake trounced them the first go around so I don't see your point. Mo St was the first game w/o Ben so the offense looked and was totally lost and it was inexcusable. I have no clue about the UNI games Drake just flat out got beat.

What in the world suggests Rayvonte is going anywhere?
davidfast
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » February 13th, 2012, 2:02 pm

davidfast wrote:What in the world suggests Rayvonte is going anywhere?

He seriously looked around for a new home last year. That doesn't suggest he's leaving this year, but it does make you wonder.

Rayray needs to find an outside shot!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball