Can the MVC break its Sweet 16 threshold?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby valleychamp » February 16th, 2012, 12:09 pm

We finally got back to multiple bids (likely, at least). We will send a minimum of two teams to the dance this year, and both WSU and CU will likely have favorable seeds if they just take care of business these last few games.

Is this the year that the Valley finally gets past the Sweet 16? We have two top 25-worty teams, with (likely) decent seeds, in what looks like a weak bubble year. George Mason, Butler (x2), and VCU have all made the final 4 in the last 5 years. Its about time the Valley got it done.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can the MVC break its Sweet 16 threshold?

Postby TylerDurden » February 16th, 2012, 12:21 pm

All depends on the draw.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » February 16th, 2012, 12:29 pm

TylerDurden wrote:All depends on the draw.

WSU has the type of team that can beat you in many different fascets. Their ability to score on any team in the country is not what I would be worried about, but rather their ability to defend certain types of teams. The do have potential to go deep because they have a deep team.

For Creighton, all it takes is McD to have a bad night.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » February 16th, 2012, 12:40 pm

It is way past time. Of current MVC members, the last team to make it to the Elite Eight was Wichita State in 1982.

For WSU and Creighton, the Top Guns will have to have their average games in order to hang with just about anyone in the Tournament. In order to beat a top 3 seed in the Sweet 16, they might need a surprise performance from someone. For WSU in particular, David Kyles and/or Tekele Cotton could be the X factor since they have the ability and athleticism of any BCS-level player. They just need an opportunity to shine and they need to answer when opportunity knocks at the door.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 16th, 2012, 1:52 pm

In answer to the question posed in the thread title, probably not this year.

CU's defensive issues will probably keep them for advancing any further, assuming they get that far.

For WSU, Stutz will be exposed when goes up against legitimate centers with BCS size, just like he has in every game against Echenique.

I do think we are getting closer...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » February 16th, 2012, 2:10 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:In answer to the question posed in the thread title, probably not this year.

CU's defensive issues will probably keep them for advancing any further, assuming they get that far.

For WSU, Stutz will be exposed when goes up against legitimate centers with BCS size, just like he has in every game against Echenique.

I think Stutz will be just fine against "legitimate" centers. He's pretty good.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 16th, 2012, 2:17 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:In answer to the question posed in the thread title, probably not this year.

In four games against Echenique, what do you think is the combined total points and rebounds that Stutz has been able to put up?

I think Stutz is a very solid center for the MVC.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » February 16th, 2012, 2:50 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:

In four games against Echenique, what do you think is the combined total points and rebounds that Stutz has been able to put up?

Does it really matter? He "struggled" against Creighton last week, and Wichita was still able to pound the Jays by 20+ in Omaha. Stutz's production in a given game is not a make or break factor for Wichita State, IMHO.

Along those same lines, I think you could say that Doug's production can be a make or break factor for CU, and there have been a few times this year that CU has faced some physical and/or athletic teams that have frustrated Doug, and CU has lost those games.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Haha » February 16th, 2012, 2:57 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

I have no desire to argue whether or not Stutz can handle whatever match ups in his future. I just want to point out that really you have 2 games to draw from not 4. Stutz was not a starter against CU last year and played 10 minutes total.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 16th, 2012, 3:03 pm

valleychamp wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:In four games against Echenique, what do you think is the combined total points and rebounds that Stutz has been able to put up?

Does it really matter? He "struggled" against Creighton last week, and Wichita was still able to pound the Jays by 20+ in Omaha. Stutz's production in a given game is not a make or break factor for Wichita State, IMHO.

Along those same lines, I think you could say that Doug's production can be a make or break factor for CU, and there have been a few times this year that CU has faced some physical and/or athletic teams that have frustrated Doug, and CU has lost those games.

Please don't read my comments to imply that I said WSu wasn't good - I believe that WSU is very good (I picked them to win the league before the season began).

As to the rest of your comments - I think they support, rather than deter from, my theory on Stutz. (and, btw, he didn't just struggle against Creighton last week - he was worse at the game in Wichita!)
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on February 16th, 2012, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball