Northern Iowa at VCU - Fri 6pm ESPN2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Northern Iowa at VCU - Fri 6pm ESPN2

Postby Snaggletooth » February 17th, 2012, 8:33 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I hate to blame the refs, but these guys are terrible!!

Aren't the refs provided by away conference? Probably would have been better off not having valley refs.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby strike00 » February 17th, 2012, 8:41 pm

yep MVC refs. Zelton Sneed and company.

And yes, its clear Deon Mitchell will be a leader for this team the next three years.
strike00
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby sect.3purple » February 17th, 2012, 9:03 pm

This Aces fan was rooting for the Panthers tonight...thought your team played very well. Also thought the officiating, especially a couple of calls during the last few minutes....the non-call when Mitchell's shot was blocked, and in the following possession, I believe, the foul called on a made lay-up (couldn't see any foul)....the announcers agreed that those calls were wrong. It doesn't take too many calls at a critical time in a game to change momentum and outcome. I think VCU plays like Southern Illinois used to play defense with a lot of grabbing and hand checks....the refs can't call them all, so they get away with a lot.

I believe your team plays better at the speed they played at tonight instead of so slow and deliberate...just my opinion.

You lost to a really good team tonight, but the officiating sure helped in that loss.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MSUBear42 » February 17th, 2012, 9:11 pm

strike00 wrote:yep MVC refs. Zelton Sneed and company.

And yes, its clear Deon Mitchell will be a leader for this team the next three years.

Zelton always seems like one of the worst.
MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » February 17th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Pretty good officiating until the very end. Jacobson was right with the foul on the arm. Game turned their way on the next possession with the and 1. It was killer
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 17th, 2012, 10:19 pm

sect.3purple wrote:This Aces fan was rooting for the Panthers tonight...thought your team played very well. Also thought the officiating, especially a couple of calls during the last few minutes....the non-call when Mitchell's shot was blocked, and in the following possession, I believe, the foul called on a made lay-up (couldn't see any foul)....the announcers agreed that those calls were wrong. It doesn't take too many calls at a critical time in a game to change momentum and outcome. I think VCU plays like Southern Illinois used to play defense with a lot of grabbing and hand checks....the refs can't call them all, so they get away with a lot.

I believe your team plays better at the speed they played at tonight instead of so slow and deliberate...just my opinion.

You lost to a really good team tonight, but the officiating sure helped in that loss.

I agree. The game slowed down in the second half, and we weren't getting as many open looks. I think we need to push it more especially since all our big men can run, and our point guard is unstoppable 1 on 1 in the open. The times we have looked the worst this year have been in slow ugly games that either we have forced or the other team has forced i.e. SIU.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby getreal4 » February 17th, 2012, 10:41 pm

I think UNI with a great pt guard should be feared by the rest of the MVC Mitchell is getting there...
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » February 18th, 2012, 11:12 am

getreal4 wrote:I think UNI with a great pt guard should be feared by the rest of the MVC Mitchell is getting there...

I've been a firm believer since the first time I saw Mitchell step on the court that he will be the best PG in the conference once the game slowed down for him and he found a way to get his shots to fall.

The game is starting to slow down for him, and his runners are starting to fall. I think a large reason he missed so many lay ups/runners early is because he was "too amped", and as a freshman playing over 1,000 miles from home I can understand that and early in the season the best he looked was the South Padre invite in his home state of Texas.

However, the last 4-5 games as his PT has picked up the game has started to slow down for him from the looks of it. He looks so much more comfortable and is making plays (passing, driving the lane, steals, and what not) that haven't been seen in a UNI uniform in many many years. The nice part about it is that he does it while remaining so smooth while doing it. His lay ups are starting to bounce in rather than hitting the backboard so hard they just bounce off. His first step has got to be the best in school history, and by the end of his career will be killer.

He doesn't belong in the "Best PG in the MVC" thread just yet, but I'd look for him to easily be in the discussion next year.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball