MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Re: MVC - Predicted order of finish

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LJay » August 10th, 2010, 9:10 pm

Posting here just to get my first post!

I know next to nothing about what teams have coming back but here are some ideas:

Creighton is hard to figure right now but they have a vast majority of the team back, a blue chip center (who actually played up to that potential in the Big Least) starting play prior to the league season and have not finished worse than 4th in the league since many of you were in diapers. Thus, those calling for a 6th or 7th place finish for CU aren't likely to be correct.

A JIM LES team has never done better than 4th...NEVER. Why will that change now with no inside game?

WSU is very good and will contend but the lack of an experienced PG should prove interesting.

Seriously, how will Ill St replace O, the Nigerian and the PG?! Good thing that non-con schedule is a pud.

UE...what a mess...10th.

SIU...I have no idea what the new guys are like but not picking the skinny dawgs for Thursday play on paper prior to the season is silly.

Drake...the guy can recruit but so far hasn't coached too well. Again, on paper prior to the season this team has a Thursday air.

Indy St...I have no idea. Harry Marshall was the only guy who scared me on that team so......

MSU a decent team last year...I don't know what's coming back. Will the kid who screwed up his knee be missed?

UNI lost a lot. They also have some good players back. I can't see them fall out of the top half but we'll see if they contend.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » August 10th, 2010, 9:31 pm

LJay wrote:
UE...what a mess...10th.

Would you consider to explain this statement?
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » August 10th, 2010, 9:53 pm

ISU (Blue)
Evansville
SIU
Drake
UNI
ISU (Red)
Bradley
MSU
WSU
CU
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » August 10th, 2010, 9:58 pm

1. WSU - favorite on paper, but will they score enough this time around? This isn't a runaway by a long shot.
2. CU - Some how, some way, they'll find a way to make things interesting. Even with a new coach, they managed to lose the cancer, which will help immensely.
3. UNI - Lost a lot but with BJ, they'll be in the mix.
4. MSU - Some key offseason roster losses dropped them a couple of spots.
5. BU - It's a JL trademark. Too bad because they have the talent to finish higher.
6. ILSU - Also lost a TON, but I like what Carmichael brings down low.
7. Drake - Lots of mystery with this team.
8. INSU - An unproven coach with a team who lost its only real threat last year.
9. SIU - Who woulda thunk it 3 years ago?
10. UE - A move to D-2 would be beneficial for this university. Like others have mentioned, they'll drop a Valley leader or two and effectively kill their NCAA chances.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » August 11th, 2010, 9:39 am

1 - Wichita State
2 - Missouri State
3 - Northern Iowa
4 - Creighton
5 - Bradley
6 - Illinois State
7 - Drake
8 - Indiana State
9 - Souther Illinois
0 - Evansville
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » August 11th, 2010, 3:15 pm

1. WSU - most talent coming back of any team. Marshall is getting his kind of players in his system. How much more Stutz can develop will be a big key.

2. UNI - Yeah, I know they lose a lot, but they'll still play in your face defense, and come at you with dozens of looks on the offensive end. I really think it's more about the system than the individual players, so I think they can overcome the loss of Eglseder, Koch and Farokhmanesh.

3. MSU - Cuonzo Martin is putting together a talented team in Springfield. Last year's young, inexperienced guys are a year older, stronger and wiser.

4. CU - The big wookie inherents some talented players, and Echinique (sp?) could be a difference maker, as he and Lawson will be a very strong inside duo at the MVC level. Biggest question to me is how the guys that Altman recruited will fit into McDermott's system.

5. BU - Maniscalco, Warren and Brown are three of the highest scoring returnees in the league. Might have enough talent to move up a spot or two, but a gut feeling tells me they won't.

6. Illinois State - Jankovich continues to bring in good talent, but it will be a slightly down year (relatively) as they adjust to life without Eldridge and Odiakosa.

7. Indiana State - A lot will depend on how healthy Kelly and Lathan are. This is a team that seemed to overachieve last season, and I mean that as a compliment. Will Lansing run the same system as McKenna? How he will he adjust to the head coach's chair?

8. Drake - My heart tells me to pick them higher, but my brain says they're a year away. The Bulldogs have more young talent than I can ever remember, but nobody on this team has played more than one season at Drake. Maturity, chemistry and strength are the big question marks. With only one senior, this team is still a season or two away. Van Deest is a budding star who has grown an inch and added 20+ pounds since last season.

9. Southern Illinois - Poor season last year for the Salukis, and they lost an awful lot from that team. Will it be 'addition by subtraction'? Lots of jucos coming in, some considered pretty talented. How quickly they can gel into a cohesive unit will go a long way to predicting the Saluki's season. Lowery is probably on the hot seat this year.

10. Evansville - UE is not a bad team, but I had to pick somebody last. They have some good young players, but seem to lack the athleticism and depth of most MVC teams. I'm not as familiar with their roster as I should be, but there doesn't seem to be much of an inside game.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 45otseoj » August 11th, 2010, 4:54 pm

DUBulldog wrote:10. Evansville - UE is not a bad team, but I had to pick somebody last. They have some good young players, but seem to lack the athleticism and depth of most MVC teams. I'm not as familiar with their roster as I should be, but there doesn't seem to be much of an inside game.

PVT!!!
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby catkids » August 12th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
dgreenwell3 wrote:whyy all the hate Braves4life? jw.....

I actually like ISUBlue but just think with a new coach and a lot of new and untested talent that they will struggle. I think they will be a tough out in the MVC Tourney and, if the pieces all mesh together, have a chance to finish Top 5.

Regarding my pick of BU first..... Maybe I wear rose-colored glasses. I'll be the first to admit that. But I think BU returns the best talent in The Valley and with a new coaching staff to assist Les I expect BIG things. Anything les than Top 3 for BU will cost Les his job. IMO

Good by Jim its been nice knowing ya.
1. WSU
2. UNI
3. MSU
4. Creighton
5. ISU red
6. BU unless a big or two come through
7. Drake
8. ISU blue
9. SIU
10. Evansville
catkids