MVC - Predicted order of finish

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC - Predicted order of finish

Postby MoValley John » August 25th, 2010, 4:33 pm

I do wonder what will be the impact of losing Justin Carter. I think he will be missed more than people know. This will be a very interesting year for Creighton, probably one of the more interesting in years. Not because they will be good or bad, but simply to watch the direction of the program. As for McDermott, I don't think he was a homerun of a hire, but at the same time, I give him a pass on what transpired at Iowa State. The mess in Ames was larger than most people know. That said, I would give him a "D" for accepting the Iowa State job in the first place.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » August 27th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Stutz made a lot of improvement between his Fr and So years, and had a lot of improvement in the second half of his So year. Stutz is likely to have another 15 pounds this year and be more physical and aggressive. I'll take Stutz with 2 years of experience in WSU's system over a transfer with no on-court experience in his teams' system.

Orukpe is a mystery, but he's likely to be a reasonably effective minute-eater backing up Stutz. Orukpe is not currently an offensive threat, although he will stuff it if he gets the ball close to the hoop. He doesn't have a good sense of where to position himself for rebounds, but he is an exceptional leaper for someone 7' tall and he can get some rebounds when he's not in position. He's a decent passer and was used in JuCo to set up their scoring machine guard.

The rest of WSU's front court is Durley, Blair, and Ellis - all of who have significant MVC experience. CU had Lawson and air. Now they have Lawson and Echenique (sp?). I think it's safe to say that when CU plays WSU, the front court play could get physical. Then it could become a game of front court depth because of foul issues.

WSU has weapons if Stutz and Durely are on the bench with fouls. I don't understand the confidence of the CU fans. In a physical game, what does CU have in reserve if their two frontline guys are on the bench? Before you trot out your 6'11" guy that weighs 180, I will confidently assure you that WSU's 7', 250 guy from Nigeria is likely to look like a scoring machine against a guy that physically overmatched.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » August 27th, 2010, 10:16 pm

Aargh wrote:Stutz made a lot of improvement between his Fr and So years, and had a lot of improvement in the second half of his So year. Stutz is likely to have another 15 pounds this year and be more physical and aggressive. I'll take Stutz with 2 years of experience in WSU's system over a transfer with no on-court experience in his teams' system.

Orukpe is a mystery, but he's likely to be a reasonably effective minute-eater backing up Stutz. Orukpe is not currently an offensive threat, although he will stuff it if he gets the ball close to the hoop. He doesn't have a good sense of where to position himself for rebounds, but he is an exceptional leaper for someone 7' tall and he can get some rebounds when he's not in position. He's a decent passer and was used in JuCo to set up their scoring machine guard.

The rest of WSU's front court is Durley, Blair, and Ellis - all of who have significant MVC experience. CU had Lawson and air. Now they have Lawson and Echenique (sp?). I think it's safe to say that when CU plays WSU, the front court play could get physical. Then it could become a game of front court depth because of foul issues.

WSU has weapons if Stutz and Durely are on the bench with fouls. I don't understand the confidence of the CU fans. In a physical game, what does CU have in reserve if their two frontline guys are on the bench? Before you trot out your 6'11" guy that weighs 180, I will confidently assure you that WSU's 7', 250 guy from Nigeria is likely to look like a scoring machine against a guy that physically overmatched.

Your explaination of the Shockers is exactly why just about everyone, including Bluejay fans, have picked Wichita State to win the league. I don't think there are many, if any Creighton fans that expect to win the league this year. What they are excited about is to have more than one post player. You mentioned the Bluejays had Lawson and air. You're exactly right, now they have doubled their post presence. If Eshenesque is only mediocre, it is still a marked improvement in what they had. I think the Bluejay fans are excited simply to have a couple of post players and be moving in the direction of better post play. On the flip side, I think Creighton fans were simply getting pretty frustrated with having zero post depth
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Nighthawk328 » September 1st, 2010, 3:36 pm

Here is my guess.

1. Wichita State
2. Missouri State
3. Northern Iowa
4. Bradley
5. Evansville
6. Creighton
7. Drake
8. Illinois State
9. Indiana State
10. Southern Illinois
Nighthawk328
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby LJay » September 1st, 2010, 6:17 pm

Aargh wrote:Stutz made a lot of improvement between his Fr and So years, and had a lot of improvement in the second half of his So year. Stutz is likely to have another 15 pounds this year and be more physical and aggressive. I'll take Stutz with 2 years of experience in WSU's system over a transfer with no on-court experience in his teams' system.

Not only did Lawson not foul out of a game last year he only reached 4 fouls once.

Pesky facts.

You can have your John David Stutz (Buckwheat's killer) and Burley (good O, D no show) and we'll have Lawson and Echineque and we'll have some fun this year seeing how things turn out!!
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » September 1st, 2010, 7:42 pm

LJay wrote:

Not only did Lawson not foul out of a game last year he only reached 4 fouls once.

Pesky facts.

You can have your John David Stutz (Buckwheat's killer) and Burley (good O, D no show) and we'll have Lawson and Echineque and we'll have some fun this year seeing how things turn out!!

I'll just step aside now and let the fireworks beegin.

Good thing I'm the troublemaker on this board... :roll:
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 45otseoj » September 1st, 2010, 7:54 pm

MoValley John wrote:
LJay wrote:

Pesky facts.

WSU will have guard play and CU will have ???
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » September 1st, 2010, 10:23 pm

MoValley John wrote:
LJay wrote:

Pesky facts.

Yep, you are clearly the biggest instigator on the board. I bet the non-instigating L-Jay has less deleted posts than you. so thereeeeeeeee! :twisted:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » September 1st, 2010, 10:26 pm

45otseoj wrote:
MoValley John wrote:
LJay wrote:Not only did Lawson not foul out of a game last year he only reached 4 fouls once.

Pesky facts.

WSU will have guard play and CU will have ???

Thanks for mentioning a couple of pesky facts. Also, outside of guard play issues, CU lacks adequate depth in virtually every position. Not to mention they have a new system in place along with a coach who just got finished failing at the BCS level.

Stranger things have happened and I initially picked CU quite high, but a healthy dose of reality and a little less koolaid would be wise for a certain CU poster.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » September 2nd, 2010, 9:20 am

With Wichita clearly on top of a lot of picks. I was wondering if those in Wichita think it could be a 1981 type of season. For those old enough to remember that!
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball