MVC - Predicted order of finish

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC - Predicted order of finish

Postby beatingrillz » September 2nd, 2010, 5:12 pm

I know that WSU will be the favorite but after watching ragland play last year i will be surprised if the guard position will really be that strong a juco all-american is still a first year division one player
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 45otseoj » September 3rd, 2010, 2:49 pm

beatingrillz wrote:I know that WSU will be the favorite but after watching ragland play last year i will be surprised if the guard position will really be that strong a juco all-american is still a first year division one player

If not Ragland, then Williams. I love the Shox roster this season. I'm thinking (hoping) that some of the young talent we have at ISU will someday make up a roster like they have now.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby goaces » September 4th, 2010, 2:27 pm

1. UNI
2. WSU
3. Crighton
4. Bradley
5. MSU
6. ISU-red
7. UE
8. ISU-blue
9. SIU
10. Drake
goaces
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aargh » September 4th, 2010, 10:07 pm

WSU has 3 JuCo transfers. WSU doesn't actually need any of them to be major contributors.

Williams finished the season strong, so Ragland is depth, a backup, a possible significant contributor if he's a surprise, and an insurance policy against injury. You can say the same thing for Ben Smith, who looks like the backup for Hatch at the 3. Orukpe is a project who will probably be a larger version of Odiakosa. The way the team stacks up, Orukpe only needs to be a significant factor in his Sr year.

For any CU fans who may think guard play will be WSU's weakness this year - are you insane? Or just delusional?

Murry's So year was below expectations, but he still averaged 11.9 points, and 5 boards. Past that he led WSU in steals, was second in assists. He still needs to get a little smarter in shot selection, but that's what experience tends to provide. David Kyles is a solid 3rd year backup. What we've seen of him in practices and pickup games hasn't carried over into games yet. If it ever does, he could get consideration for all-Valley. If you look at the last 5 to 10 games last year, Williams was figuring it out.

Going into practices, Ragland will be the #4 guard. Ragland averaged 55% from the field and 45% from 3 last year. That was JuCo, but the JuCo basket is still 10' off the ground and the 3 line is the same distance from the hoop. Comparing Ragland's So JuCo season to Hannah's - Ragland looks better. Hannah carried that over to D1 nd we haven't seen Ragland do that yet, but he's the fourth option at guard.

If you want to include wings in discussions of guards - the only obvious difference in Hatch this year is that he obviously hit the weight room very seriously since last year. Hatch is going to get consideration for all-Valley this year.

If guard play is WSU's weakness - I'll take that weakness any day. It appears CU fans are relying on a transfer to be a hero the moment he steps on the court. WSU fans do not have that expectation level for any of WSU's transfers.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LJay » September 5th, 2010, 9:42 am

More attacking posts, funny stuff.

If CU fans came on here and said Antione Young was light years better at the end of the season and Josh Jones came out of nowhere to have a solid final six weeks of the season and that we are excited about them only being a soph and a junior and hope for the same kind of improvement into this year and other fanbases are delusional about saying CU has no guard play there would be so many attacks on here it wouldn't be funny.

I've never seen a group so introspective, self-absorbed and unable to comprehend that there is another perspective that can possibly be correct or have anything valid to say beacuse, y'know, my group is ALWAYS right.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » September 5th, 2010, 9:50 am

Ljay, I think you'd agree that us message board types represent about 0.1% of the fans and are inherently a bit fanatical and myopic. It's what we do and who we are. Shox fans are buying into the hype of their team as we all would. Are they right? We'll find out soon enough when the season starts.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » September 5th, 2010, 11:22 am

LJay wrote:
I've never seen a group so introspective, self-absorbed and unable to comprehend that there is another perspective that can possibly be correct or have anything valid to say beacuse, y'know, my group is ALWAYS right.

You haven't? How long have you been a Bluejay fan? Perhaps you should look in the mirror of your own fanbase. I have seen it many times over the years.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » September 5th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:
LJay wrote:

You haven't? How long have you been a Bluejay fan? Perhaps you should look in the mirror of your own fanbase. I have seen it many times over the years.

+1

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » September 5th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Just one more example of MVJ ruining a thread. This is Nothing more than more hate, useless drivel and threadjacking by MVJ. They need to ban MVJ by tomorrow, that would be Labor Day and when many posters expected him to be gone. I think some people wagered on that day as well. Ban him now, he's such a troublemaker!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » September 5th, 2010, 7:53 pm

MoValley John wrote:Just one more example of MVJ ruining a thread. This is Nothing more than more hate, useless drivel and threadjacking by MVJ. They need to ban MVJ by tomorrow, that would be Labor Day and when many posters expected him to be gone. I think some people wagered on that day as well. Ban him now, he's such a troublemaker!

Mvj- go away. You are tiresome and your constant look at me attitude has already killed one board. If you need constant attention, hire a sitter.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball