MVC - Predicted order of finish

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC - Predicted order of finish

Postby valleychamp » March 2nd, 2011, 6:18 pm

Bump. How did everyone do with their preseason predictions?

valleychamp wrote:1. WSU
2. UNI
3. BU
4. MSU
5. CU
6. ISU blue
7. Drake
8. ISU red
9. SIU
10- Evansville

I think I did OK. Glaring mistake was Bradley, but I made that prediction before all their injuries, so everyone should get a pass on that one.

I thought WSU would easily win the league, but they had some very disappointing losses that prevented that from happening.

UNI might have had a shot at finishing 2nd without the loss of O'Rear. Easily would have finished 3rd.

I missed on Evansville. Didn't think they had the talent to stay out of the play-in round.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » March 2nd, 2011, 7:07 pm

Here were my picks

1. WSU - most talent coming back of any team. Marshall is getting his kind of players in his system. How much more Stutz can develop will be a big key.

2. UNI - Yeah, I know they lose a lot, but they'll still play in your face defense, and come at you with dozens of looks on the offensive end. I really think it's more about the system than the individual players, so I think they can overcome the loss of Eglseder, Koch and Farokhmanesh.

3. MSU - Cuonzo Martin is putting together a talented team in Springfield. Last year's young, inexperienced guys are a year older, stronger and wiser.

4. CU - The big wookie inherents some talented players, and Echinique (sp?) could be a difference maker, as he and Lawson will be a very strong inside duo at the MVC level. Biggest question to me is how the guys that Altman recruited will fit into McDermott's system.

5. BU - Maniscalco, Warren and Brown are three of the highest scoring returnees in the league. Might have enough talent to move up a spot or two, but a gut feeling tells me they won't.

6. Illinois State - Jankovich continues to bring in good talent, but it will be a slightly down year (relatively) as they adjust to life without Eldridge and Odiakosa.

7. Indiana State - A lot will depend on how healthy Kelly and Lathan are. This is a team that seemed to overachieve last season, and I mean that as a compliment. Will Lansing run the same system as McKenna? How he will he adjust to the head coach's chair?

8. Drake - My heart tells me to pick them higher, but my brain says they're a year away. The Bulldogs have more young talent than I can ever remember, but nobody on this team has played more than one season at Drake. Maturity, chemistry and strength are the big question marks. With only one senior, this team is still a season or two away. Van Deest is a budding star who has grown an inch and added 20+ pounds since last season.

9. Southern Illinois - Poor season last year for the Salukis, and they lost an awful lot from that team. Will it be 'addition by subtraction'? Lots of jucos coming in, some considered pretty talented. How quickly they can gel into a cohesive unit will go a long way to predicting the Saluki's season. Lowery is probably on the hot seat this year.

10. Evansville - UE is not a bad team, but I had to pick somebody last. They have some good young players, but seem to lack the athleticism and depth of most MVC teams. I'm not as familiar with their roster as I should be, but there doesn't seem to be much of an inside game.

Looks like I overrated Bradley, underrated the Indiana schools.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball