MVC - Predicted order of finish

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC - Predicted order of finish

Postby MVCfans » September 9th, 2010, 11:27 am

While I enjoy discussing Altman's Pig Sooie, time keeping in STL, and HCGM related topics as much as anyone, this topic has tangented. I'm not pointing fingers and I commend unipanther99 for making a nice effort to redirect the discussion, but I'm sure something contronversial will happen that will allow for the obligatory CU-WSU pissing match at a later time.

Back to the topic of the thread and your regularly scheduled programming.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jayball » September 9th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Well my point veiled in attempted sarcastic humor was that I dont' think the pressure of being picked to win the Valley would be too much.

Does anyone really thing the Marshasll is going to feel the heat because Lyle Scranton and Dave Reynolds picked the Shocks #1?

I can maybe see it if a team starts getting national attention because that is not normally part of MVC day to day basketball, but just being picked to win the league hopefully wouldn't be too overwhelming to most teams.

Although a certain former coach would have you believe that anyone ever thinking your team is any good is a bad thing.

anyway good points Doc
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WuDrWu » September 9th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Jayball, in all seriousness I thought your original analysis was superb.

It's been forever since I saw a WSU team have "it". Even the '06 team didn't have "it" imho. Now, they were talented, smart, driven and well coached. They did have some fantastic leaders off the court. But that team had a lot of things go right for them.

This WSU might have "it". They have a lot of pieces, and I think HCGM is vastly underrated, no matter how much he is hated. IF they can find someone to step up and be a bigtime leader, then the sky is the limit. This is a team with enough size, speed, talent and depth to compete with a variety of teams successfully.

Will that happen? Only time will tell.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SycamoreFanatic » September 10th, 2010, 5:43 am

Does the overwhelming pre-season Valley favorite usually win the run for the roses or does an underdog most always sniff First first?
SycamoreFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WSUbballer » September 10th, 2010, 11:51 am

SycamoreFanatic wrote:Does the overwhelming pre-season Valley favorite usually win the run for the roses or does an underdog most always sniff First first?

Well, if you have long-term memory issues, try looking back at last year for starters.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » September 10th, 2010, 12:08 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
SycamoreFanatic wrote:Does the overwhelming pre-season Valley favorite usually win the run for the roses or does an underdog most always sniff First first?

Well, if you have long-term memory issues, try looking back at last year for starters.

If I remember right, Evansville was picked last. I don't remember who was picked first.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » September 10th, 2010, 12:17 pm

I don't think its too often that someone is an overwhelming favorite. Usually there are at least 2-3 teams that are in consideration in the preseason.

I think last year UNI was a pretty big favorite because they brought everybody back, and this year wichita will be a heavy favorite because they bring almost everybody back. But I don't think situations like those happen a whole lot.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » September 17th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Now for something different, another predicted order of finish, and a point of departure from all those posted previously. First, I'll begin from last place as it is my lower half that is really different from others posted to-date:
10. Illinois State: Yes, it seems odd to see them at the bottom, but they lost what I think were key components which they will not come close to making up for this year, though they should improve from this position rapidly. Its an out on the limb call, particularly with a couple of other really strong contenders for this spot. They could certainly end up a couple places higher. Carmichael is a special player, but I suspect the other pieces may not gel yet this year.
9. Evansville: Its all been said already. But I do think Marty is a good coach and could actually spur them a little higher, especially with a suspect:
8. Southern Illinois: I'm giving Teague, Fay, and Bocot a lot of credit here, but they will need to fix their point position for this to be achieved.
7. Drake: I think more highly of the talent they are putting together than most others outside of Drake. Still, they seem to lack the athleticism needed at the 1/2 to get higher this year. But me thinks they will keep rising.
6. Indiana State: Welcome to Friday night at the MVC tourney! Good 1 through 3 options, but still too weak in the front court.
5. Northern Iowa: Lost alot, still a tough out.
4. Bradley: I'll be very disappointed if they finish any lower than this, and so will BU and it may be bye bye to Jimbo if so. If Prosser and Thompson can give them some real umphf in the front court I could see them contending for more. Some serious talent at the other positions.
3. Creighton: If their guard play is better than I think it will be then they could do more.
2. Missouri State: Sure wish you all were playing in the MVC/MWC challenge this year! Props to Mr. Martin for turning you into serious contenders again.
1. Wichita State: The point position is the only question mark, and we believe we have good answers. If the answers are correct we should be able to nose out the competition. If the answers are not what we believe, then we should still be looking to snatch the tournament anyway.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby valleychamp » March 2nd, 2011, 6:18 pm

Bump. How did everyone do with their preseason predictions?

valleychamp wrote:1. WSU
2. UNI
3. BU
4. MSU
5. CU
6. ISU blue
7. Drake
8. ISU red
9. SIU
10- Evansville

I think I did OK. Glaring mistake was Bradley, but I made that prediction before all their injuries, so everyone should get a pass on that one.

I thought WSU would easily win the league, but they had some very disappointing losses that prevented that from happening.

UNI might have had a shot at finishing 2nd without the loss of O'Rear. Easily would have finished 3rd.

I missed on Evansville. Didn't think they had the talent to stay out of the play-in round.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » March 2nd, 2011, 7:07 pm

Here were my picks

1. WSU - most talent coming back of any team. Marshall is getting his kind of players in his system. How much more Stutz can develop will be a big key.

2. UNI - Yeah, I know they lose a lot, but they'll still play in your face defense, and come at you with dozens of looks on the offensive end. I really think it's more about the system than the individual players, so I think they can overcome the loss of Eglseder, Koch and Farokhmanesh.

3. MSU - Cuonzo Martin is putting together a talented team in Springfield. Last year's young, inexperienced guys are a year older, stronger and wiser.

4. CU - The big wookie inherents some talented players, and Echinique (sp?) could be a difference maker, as he and Lawson will be a very strong inside duo at the MVC level. Biggest question to me is how the guys that Altman recruited will fit into McDermott's system.

5. BU - Maniscalco, Warren and Brown are three of the highest scoring returnees in the league. Might have enough talent to move up a spot or two, but a gut feeling tells me they won't.

6. Illinois State - Jankovich continues to bring in good talent, but it will be a slightly down year (relatively) as they adjust to life without Eldridge and Odiakosa.

7. Indiana State - A lot will depend on how healthy Kelly and Lathan are. This is a team that seemed to overachieve last season, and I mean that as a compliment. Will Lansing run the same system as McKenna? How he will he adjust to the head coach's chair?

8. Drake - My heart tells me to pick them higher, but my brain says they're a year away. The Bulldogs have more young talent than I can ever remember, but nobody on this team has played more than one season at Drake. Maturity, chemistry and strength are the big question marks. With only one senior, this team is still a season or two away. Van Deest is a budding star who has grown an inch and added 20+ pounds since last season.

9. Southern Illinois - Poor season last year for the Salukis, and they lost an awful lot from that team. Will it be 'addition by subtraction'? Lots of jucos coming in, some considered pretty talented. How quickly they can gel into a cohesive unit will go a long way to predicting the Saluki's season. Lowery is probably on the hot seat this year.

10. Evansville - UE is not a bad team, but I had to pick somebody last. They have some good young players, but seem to lack the athleticism and depth of most MVC teams. I'm not as familiar with their roster as I should be, but there doesn't seem to be much of an inside game.

Looks like I overrated Bradley, underrated the Indiana schools.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball