Purple Aces at Bluejays - Tuesday, 7pm - FSN

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Purple Aces at Bluejays - Tuesday, 7pm - FSN

Postby 3ontheway » February 22nd, 2012, 1:56 pm

valleychamp wrote:If I were a Creighton fan (yuck), I would be worried that the Jays are starting to build a reputation of being a soft finesse basketball team.

Look at their league losses this year. I would consider WSU, UNI, MSU, and UE the teams that would be considered the more physical tough defensive teams, and those are the teams that CU has struggled with. They have lost to all of those teams, and their wins over those teams have been very narrow, if not lucky as they were against Evansville last night.

They have virtually destroyed every other MVC team.

the jays are pretty weak defensively, I don't know if they can be considered "soft" or "finesse" when they out-rebound their opponent by almost 6 a game however. the thing that worries me most is the number of turnovers that they have been committing, if they can keep that around 10 instead of 15+ i think the chances of them out scoring teams (because they are pretty good at scoring the ball and shooting) is decent. gibbs provided a lot of anti softness for this team earlier in the year, but he has basically been playing on one leg for a month now.
3ontheway
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » February 22nd, 2012, 1:57 pm

acesfool wrote:I certainly woulsn't consider UNI or UE tough defensive teams. The Valley's defense has really taken a nose dive over the last few years.

Not looking for a board fight, just asking:

Is your second statement based on statistics or watching games or sensing? Why do you think Valley defense is not as good?
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 22nd, 2012, 2:16 pm

I concur, there isn't a good defensive team in the Valley this season. The best of the worst this season? Bears followed by Shox.

Too easy to run offenses and get open looks.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ricardo del Rio » February 22nd, 2012, 2:38 pm

1. Number 4 for the Aces had two purposes on the floor. He either blew lay-ups or fouled a Jay. I am not sure, but I think his name is Jones.
2. I am sure that 31 fouls is not a Valley record, but it is way too damn many.
3. Colt ran out of gas with about 2 minutes to go in regulation. He was cooked and done. In the overtime, he just had zero energy. Running through all those picks finally emptied his tank.
4. The most astonishing aspect of the two clock violations in overtime is that exactly zero persons on the floor and bench seemed to be agitated that the clock was running down and there was virtually no player movement on the floor.
5. Colt removed all doubts about his ability last night. He just made shot after shot.
6. It was a two man show. Denver and Colt had damn little help.
7. I still contend that Coach Simmons gets more from less than any other coach in the league.
8. Dougie played 43 minutes. That is stout stuff. I imagine his legs were pretty rubbery, after the game.
9. I know the Blue Bird fans think the sun rises and sets on Gibbs, but I just do not see it.
10. Who is going to replace Antoine next season? When he realizes that he can penetrate, he is relentless and very effective.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bluejays89 » February 22nd, 2012, 2:47 pm

Chatman will be the starting point guard next year and behind him will be Andre Yates (Hawkins high school teammate), both are athletic and quick-more assist type point guards. Athletically the Jays will also add Nevin Johnson (6'5 very athletic wing) who is red-shirting this year and an athletic JUCO wing in Tevin Calhoun. Both will help tremendously on defense and can be the (desperately needed) slashers for next year.
bluejays89
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ndjaysfan » February 22nd, 2012, 3:14 pm

A few thoughts on the Jays' defensive woes:

1. CU's interior defense has actually been pretty darn good this year. I can't think of a single big man all year who has had a memorable game against us. Meanwhile, we've produced some very good defensive efforts against some quality interior players (Stutz, Carmichael, etc.). In related news, we are a good but not great defensive rebounding team.

2. Our perimeter defense is definitely below average and the weakness of our team. This has created two main problems. One, we force a disturbingly low number of turnovers largely due to our lack of effective ball pressure. Second, our lack of length and quickness on the perimeter and the fact that we do not have anything close to a defensive stopper leaves us very vulnerable to hot shooters.

3. Everbody in Omaha is up in arms about our bad defense over the last four games and considering our last four opponents have all shot over 50% and three of them have shot better than 58%, it's easy to understand the concern. That said, I think some credit has to be given to our last four opponents. Every opponent that has played us all year has had the opportunity to "go off" from the outside. Our perimeter defense has been sketchy all year. During our 11 game winning streak, teams weren't taking advantage. At the moment, our opponents are red hot - those things happen. Just look at Wichita - I don't think that our defense was significantly worse in Omaha but Ragland, Kyles, etc. were all hitting, whether they were open or not. In Wichita, their shot selection was poor and their shots were off but they had plenty of open looks that afternoon as well.

We are what we are. We are a great offensive team and an average defensive team. But because we're a pretty good defensive team down low, teams have to hit shots to take advantage of our weakness. Teams have been making a lot of shots against us these last couple weeks but who knows if that will continue into March.
ndjaysfan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 22nd, 2012, 3:29 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:7. I still contend that Coach Simmons gets more from less than any other coach in the league.

I agree completely.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby starcityjay » February 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

ndjaysfan wrote:A few thoughts on the Jays' defensive woes:

1. CU's interior defense has actually been pretty darn good this year. I can't think of a single big man all year who has had a memorable game against us. Meanwhile, we've produced some very good defensive efforts against some quality interior players (Stutz, Carmichael, etc.). In related news, we are a good but not great defensive rebounding team.

2. Our perimeter defense is definitely below average and the weakness of our team. This has created two main problems. One, we force a disturbingly low number of turnovers largely due to our lack of effective ball pressure. Second, our lack of length and quickness on the perimeter and the fact that we do not have anything close to a defensive stopper leaves us very vulnerable to hot shooters.

3. Everbody in Omaha is up in arms about our bad defense over the last four games and considering our last four opponents have all shot over 50% and three of them have shot better than 58%, it's easy to understand the concern. That said, I think some credit has to be given to our last four opponents. Every opponent that has played us all year has had the opportunity to "go off" from the outside. Our perimeter defense has been sketchy all year. During our 11 game winning streak, teams weren't taking advantage. At the moment, our opponents are red hot - those things happen. Just look at Wichita - I don't think that our defense was significantly worse in Omaha but Ragland, Kyles, etc. were all hitting, whether they were open or not. In Wichita, their shot selection was poor and their shots were off but they had plenty of open looks that afternoon as well.

We are what we are. We are a great offensive team and an average defensive team. But because we're a pretty good defensive team down low, teams have to hit shots to take advantage of our weakness. Teams have been making a lot of shots against us these last couple weeks but who knows if that will continue into March.

Excellent analysis, ndjaysfan. I would add that Hall from WSU had a pretty big game against us in that first match up, and St. Joe's had that freak off the bench (Roberts?) who ate us up inside. But apart from that, our interior D has been solid, particularly Greg E. And the inability to create turnovers is just so frustrating...this is where you can generate points when your shots aren't falling, and I'm pretty sure we are the worst in the league at that.

But you are right: we are what we are: A team with a lot of offensive talent, average or below average athleticism, some glaring weaknesses on defense, but with a fair amount of toughness and tenacity (certainly much more than last year). It's translated to 24-5, 13-4 in a strong year for the conference. I was hoping for an MVC crown, but I'll still take this.
starcityjay
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby acesfool » February 22nd, 2012, 7:32 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
acesfool wrote:I certainly woulsn't consider UNI or UE tough defensive teams. The Valley's defense has really taken a nose dive over the last few years.

Not looking for a board fight, just asking:

Is your second statement based on statistics or watching games or sensing? Why do you think Valley defense is not as good?

Just an observation based on watching several games where the shooting percentages seem too good. SIU used to be the standard bearer for every MVC team's defense.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby acesfool » February 22nd, 2012, 7:39 pm

shocktheheart wrote:Statistically speaking, Evansville's defense is worse than Creighton's

SCORING DEFENSE G Pts Avg/G
1. Northern Iowa 29 1806 62.3
2. Missouri State 29 1809 62.4
3. Wichita State 28 1772 63.3
4. Illinois State 28 1815 64.8
5. Indiana State 28 1844 65.9
6. Drake 28 1872 66.9
7. Southern Illinois 28 1935 69.1
8. Creighton 29 2024 69.8
9. Evansville 28 1999 71.4
10. Bradley 29 2073 71.5

Style of play is why UNI gives up the fewest points. I would be much more interested in knowing defensive shooting percentages or points per posession allowed by each teams defense.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball