Purple Aces at Bluejays - Tuesday, 7pm - FSN

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Purple Aces at Bluejays - Tuesday, 7pm - FSN

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 21st, 2012, 11:41 pm

Did Sawvell hurt himself on that showboat dunk in the first half? Probably should've just went for the hoop without the show.

Creighton is better against bigger teams. Just like against WSU, when UE went small due to Sawvell's sloppy dunk, we struggled mightily. Our best defensive player is Echenique and he can't be assigned to guard opposing PGs and SGs the end of the game notwithstanding.

Young had a great offensive game, but was BRUTAL on defense. That's been true all year with him.

Surprised that Ryan went off like that as we held him in check at Evansville. He set an arena record for points in a game tonight.
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on February 21st, 2012, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jayball » February 21st, 2012, 11:42 pm

good game aces....probably not the best time for jokes from Jays fans. I think we are just completely flabbergasted that we played so poorly, you played so well, and somehow we stole a W.

I can understand the frustration with the refs, but I do think some of the calls were because we started going at the Rim a bit more. Antoine Young was really attacking later in the game.

I'm sure it is little solace now, but that was the most dominant offensive performance I have seen by two players. They put on a jump shooting clinic. They were in perpetual motion. Just amazing and extremely frustrating to watch. Ryan also had 6 boards, 4 assts, and 5 steals.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 21st, 2012, 11:47 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote::bow: :bow: :bow: Colt Ryan :bow: :bow: :bow:

Obviously the defensive strategy was to simply wear Ryan out by letting him shoot so damn much. The ingenious plan worked as he left his last two shots just a bit short.

DJ, I know you are being sarcastic and that is ok.

If I am a CU fan, I wonder if my team has peaked.

No disrespect intended! The bowing down to Ryan was sincere - he was incredible tonight. Even the few times when we had him locked down, he still made shots.

I don't know about peaking. I'd say the team was probably a little worn out emotionally after the big win Saturday night and was pretty flat all night. On top of that UE is just not a good matchup for us.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bluejays89 » February 22nd, 2012, 12:08 am

Just wanted to say Evansville is pretty freaking good, good game aces! Colt and Holmes are tough to stop and you have one of the best coaching staffs in the league.

I personally do not want to play you in St. Louis

:Cheers:
bluejays89
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MSUDuo » February 22nd, 2012, 12:16 am

Ace Dad wrote:
JaysOnJays wrote:It wasn't as if Creighton was getting all the calls, there were definitely a few in the 1st half and the first part of the 2nd half that went UE's way. And I attribute CU getting so many calls not due to some biased, but the fact they took the ball to the rim over and over and over again. You'll get calls that way. Meanwhile, UE was taking jump shots, and making most of them. In the end there were calls that went both ways that were awful.

Observation: McDermott was being protected.

My belief: McDermott should be protected.

So, we need to deal with it.

Not possible. It's been said on here that players don't get protected.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby martymoose » February 22nd, 2012, 12:32 am

Sorry, am up late, missed most of the game. Last I saw CU was down by 10 or so, must have been an insane comeback. I assume the CU student section rushed the floor again. Could someone who was there or saw it on TV please confirm.
martymoose
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby jaybydna » February 22nd, 2012, 12:47 am

Creighton is just tired. Not sure if it is conditioning, coaching, or just the grind, but that is why we cannot guard the slashers, and why we have no pop or legs in our shots. At this point, a win is a win until we can get some rest.

Given McDs history, and the fact that other teams still have legs, I would say the conditioning and player rotations are to blame.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby purple&orange » February 22nd, 2012, 1:09 am

We're there calls I didn't agree with, yeah but trying to place blame on the officials doesn't solve anything. If anything it takes AWAY from the effort our Aces put out tonight. Colt and Denver were huge, both had career highs. To play without Sawvell for basically 40 minutes and still have a chance, would never have thought that for one second. The Aces did more than enough to win the game, but at the end of regulation CU got the two shot clock violations and then kept the ball alive on the other end to get the tying tip at the horn. They may not have played to their potential the way UE did, but they found a way to give themselves a chance.

It seems this is a pattern in college hoops where it gets out of hand so early 2nd half the officials have to change things up by tightening up the game, calling handchecks and little bumps because they allow it to get out of hand in the first place. I thought the OT started out like a hockey OT, no whistles, let the players play. Harris was battling two CU players and they said he grabbed some jersey.....didn't see it but only saw one angle. Colt hit a big shot to take the lead, then CU answered and they finally got a stop.

It doesn't matter what the perception of the officials are, nothing changes and now it's trying to bottle that execution on offense and stop Missouri State and hopefully get the ability to take Thursday off. This conference is a grind, really good players and teams battling night in and night out. It's a league a whole lot better than a couple of random highlights on ESPN. If these were two BCS schools, with one team just falling out of the rankings, it would have gotten a ton of airtime...that's how good this game was.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » February 22nd, 2012, 1:23 am

What a fantastic game! Congrats to CU on the win, and the great respect I have for UE went up a notch. Tough break.

I really was not impressed with Colt Ryan going into this year and felt that he wasn't one of the best 10 players in the league. Early in the year I changed my tune and realized I was wrong, but that was a flat out phenomenol performance from one heck of a player tonight! Holmes was great too. UE needs a 6-8, 230 lb juco center in a bad way next year. If that happens I really like the Aces.

Creighton needs to: throw the ball to Gregg E. Play defense.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » February 22nd, 2012, 6:44 am

The "showboat dunk" was an alley oop. The player had no other choice but to elevate and guide the ball into the rim.

C'mon man...........
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball