Drake and UNI lose annual Iowa & Ia St games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby getreal4 » February 20th, 2012, 8:08 pm

will be replaced with a new Big Four doubleheader in Des Moines. UNI & Drake will alternate playing Iowa & Ia St in the doubleheader. Iowa & Ia St will continue to play each other every season.

Guess the little mid majors have to accept what the BCS schools give us... :Violin: :cry:
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Drake and UNI lose annual Iowa & Ia St games

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 20th, 2012, 8:22 pm

getreal4 wrote:will be replaced with a new Big Four doubleheader in Des Moines. UNI & Drake will alternate playing Iowa & Ia St in the doubleheader. Iowa & Ia St will continue to play each other every season.

Guess the little mid majors have to accept what the BCS schools give us... :Violin: :cry:

We saw this one coming. Do you have a link?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » February 20th, 2012, 10:08 pm

This is what happens when the little guy starts beating the big boys on a regular basis.

The school yard bully is sick of getting his ass handed to him, and instead of manning up and getting better, he's decided to take his ball and go home.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » February 20th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Kyle wrote:This is what happens when the little guy starts beating the big boys on a regular basis.

The school yard bully is sick of getting his ass handed to him, and instead of manning up and getting better, he's decided to take his ball and go home.

My thought exactly. This was my commentary back in December when it sounded like it was going to happen.

link: wp/2011/12/07/why-dont-you-take-you-ball-home-and-hide-iowa-and-iowa-state/
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MVCfans » February 20th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Here is the Des Moines Register article.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... ter-season
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby PantherSigEp » February 20th, 2012, 11:18 pm

It's a real shame to see the series go away. I really wish UNI had other options to exercise and give a big "forget you" to ISU and UI but it sounds like Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc...have little interest in even a 2-for-1 format. This entire move is cowardly, no matter how the other institutions try to defend it. Their loss however, I'm sure Iowa will simply fill their annual loss to an RPI Top 50-100 UNI team with a loss to an RPI 200+ team like Campbell. Barta is a scheduling genius :roll:
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » February 21st, 2012, 5:46 am

guess I'm glad that we're still allowed to have one game against a BCS team on the schedule every year. no marquee home nonconference games hurts the season ticket value. tough times for small midmajor schools.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby havoc » February 21st, 2012, 6:54 am

getreal4 wrote:guess I'm glad that we're still allowed to have one game against a BCS team on the schedule every year. no marquee home nonconference games hurts the season ticket value. tough times for small midmajor schools.

Is there some kind of rule that says Iowa/Iowa State are the only BCS schools you are allowed to schedule every year?
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TrueBlueJay » February 21st, 2012, 7:57 am

I guess this means that CU will be UNI's only sell out of the season going forward :dance:
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 21st, 2012, 9:10 am

This stinks.

To be honest, I'm a little concerned that Nebraska will use this as justification to dropping their series with us.

I hope the economic impact to UNI (and to a lesser extent, Drake) doesn't hurt them too much.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball