Bradley at Northern Iowa - 2/22

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley at Northern Iowa - 2/22

Postby tribecalledquest » February 23rd, 2012, 12:29 pm

uniftw wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:If anything he seemed to play better when he was getting booed and yelled at. He had a lot of big shots to keep Bradley in that game until the very end.

This is true.

He honestly could (I won't go as far as should) have gotten a T after that dunk.

I liked watching Geno as a coach. If he can get some talent he will be very good for BU.

UNIFTW..as we all know it really comes down to talent and players. That said, I like watching Geno as well. He has remained extremely positive all season. Always clapping, encouraging the players. The minute he takes a guy out of a game he goes over to them, talks to them, let's them know why they came out and it usually ends in a head tap, etc. Maybe none of this matters but I think it does.

He hardly ever yells at officials or players and doesn't act like a fool on the sideline with foot stomps, stares, all that garbage. I am sure as his team gets better he might be more assertive with officials and stuff but, why act like an idiot now? Save your bullets for when it matters.

He's also a really funny guy and self deprecating so he always has a quip or two after each game to lighten the mood. Here is a good one on his TV show:

During the highlight clips from the Missouri State game:

That, for our fans that didn't recognize it, was a made three point basket. Just in case they had forgotten we do occasionally do that. And that is not a violation. It's not the same as a travel; you are allowed to make one.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 23rd, 2012, 4:07 pm

After that dunk and ball spike Lemon was booed almost as bad as McDermott by the students for the rest of the game. I honestly couldn't believe at the end of the game there were times we were helping so far off of him, and he was wide open draining 3s. He really stepped up in the absence of Brown.

I really hope we don't end up with the 7th seed. Playing Bradley again would not be something I want to do. I don't know why, but they are not a good match up for us. They seem to bring out the worst in our team, and they always shoot good against us and never against anyone else.

Also throw me on the Geno bandwagon. He really seems like a classy guy. He doesn't act like a fool on the sidelines, and doesn't ream his players even though he probably could.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » February 23rd, 2012, 4:14 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
uniftw wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:If anything he seemed to play better when he was getting booed and yelled at. He had a lot of big shots to keep Bradley in that game until the very end.

This is true.

He honestly could (I won't go as far as should) have gotten a T after that dunk.

I liked watching Geno as a coach. If he can get some talent he will be very good for BU.

UNIFTW..as we all know it really comes down to talent and players. That said, I like watching Geno as well. He has remained extremely positive all season. Always clapping, encouraging the players. The minute he takes a guy out of a game he goes over to them, talks to them, let's them know why they came out and it usually ends in a head tap, etc. Maybe none of this matters but I think it does.

He hardly ever yells at officials or players and doesn't act like a fool on the sideline with foot stomps, stares, all that garbage. I am sure as his team gets better he might be more assertive with officials and stuff but, why act like an idiot now? Save your bullets for when it matters.

I don't even think he needs top level talent to compete in this league with how he coaches. You hit the nail on the head with how he is always encouraging the plays and the way he talks to them. I've witnessed very very few coaches coach a player 1-1 as they come off the floor like Geno. Even after they screw up he is very calm with them, and yes he does seem to always finish with a pat on the back of the head. I really think if BU commits to him he will be a winner there....very very very impressed with him.

I think part of it is he is coaching to his talent. I hate to say it but he is coaching this team like a HS coach...which he needs to...the 1-1 coaching and what not. I think as he builds a winner I think that will change some. What I mean by that it will go from "this is what you did" to "this is what you need to do" to "What can you do to not do that again".

I'm all on the Geno bandwagon.

Speaking of Geno...how tall is he?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 23rd, 2012, 5:38 pm

Duplicate post
Last edited by PantherSigEp on February 23rd, 2012, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 23rd, 2012, 5:39 pm

uniftw wrote:Speaking of Geno...how tall is he?

:+1: I sit in the section behind the benches and there were times you couldn't see him at all over the media tables. Despite or perhaps in spite of this, I never saw him get angry or frustrated at anyone or anything besides his players. The Braves may be hurting but it would probably be a lot worse without Ford running the show.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 23rd, 2012, 5:50 pm

I don't mean to ask his height to be rude either.

I saw the Waterloo Blackhawks hockey team was at the game last night, and the tallest of them couldn't have been more than 5'8. I have a cousin who plays hockey and is all of 5'5 and on skates looks about the same height as the rest of them.

Geno looks exactly like that cousin in many ways....It just got me wondering how tall he was. It's also odd seeing someone under 6'3 coaching. Jake is something like 6'4, Mac is 6'8, I'd guess Gregg is 6'5ish, Lusk is taller..ish right?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » February 23rd, 2012, 6:13 pm

uniftw wrote:I don't mean to ask his height to be rude either.

I saw the Waterloo Blackhawks hockey team was at the game last night, and the tallest of them couldn't have been more than 5'8. I have a cousin who plays hockey and is all of 5'5 and on skates looks about the same height as the rest of them.

Geno looks exactly like that cousin in many ways....It just got me wondering how tall he was. It's also odd seeing someone under 6'3 coaching. Jake is something like 6'4, Mac is 6'8, I'd guess Gregg is 6'5ish, Lusk is taller..ish right?

Ford is 5'8"

http://www.ovac.org/HallOfFame/Details/20
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tribecalledquest » February 23rd, 2012, 7:32 pm

Good call DUBulldog. Geno was a ridiculously good high school player and a very good player at Ohio University. He still ranks above LeBron James on the all time Ohio High school scoring charts.

Something refreshing to see as a Bradley fan.....the opposing MVC coaches generally like him, know him and talk to him. Les was a total outsider, didn't pay his dues, and diddly as fought that and tried to big time guys. Geno paid his dues in the coaching circles and he is respected for it. He was telling Coach Jake a funny story right before tipoff last night, he and Phelps are tight and he played against Paul Lusk I have no idea if he will get the job done but he makes it easy to pull for him.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bcg » February 23rd, 2012, 8:15 pm

I liked that the rest of the fans and coaches didn't like Jim Les. In the end, he couldn't back up his arrogance.

It'll be interesting to see how the final two years of Walt Lemon Jr's career plays out. I doubt he'll be the point guard anymore. His outside shot is still suspect, but better. He certainly improved from his freshmen year to his sophomore year.

BU needs shooters and rebounders desperately. We'll see if Geno can get them to Peoria and make Bradley relevant again.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball