Bradley at Northern Iowa - 2/22

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » February 22nd, 2012, 6:25 pm

Panthers are a 15 point favorite, Taylor Brown not playing for Bradley.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bradley at Northern Iowa - 2/22

Postby tribecalledquest » February 22nd, 2012, 7:56 pm

Well that was a surprising first half.

BU leads 30-24. Braves have shot 50% from the field and 5 of 10 from three--amazing I know. Meanwhile UNI shooting just 33% overall and 2 of 10 from three at the half. I don't see how BU holds on but good half.

Outside of the Loyola BB game Bradley has been better the last 3.5 MVC games.

UNI
Moran, 7 pts

Bradley
Eastman, 8 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FearDaTrees » February 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

C'mon BU hang on to this one
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MVCfans » February 22nd, 2012, 8:12 pm

UNI takes a 34-32 lead.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby PantherSigEp » February 23rd, 2012, 12:15 am

Thankfully UNI was able to right the ship in the 2nd half and pull out a 64-55 victory. Very classy move by Jake to use the final time out and take out Johnny with under 5 seconds, so that he could get a big ovation from the crowd. I'm going to miss that kid, I don't want this season to ever end. He may be my favorite player since the days of the first Ben Jacobson.

On a side note, are there any Bradley posters who can enlighten me on Walt Lemon? He looked very impressive tonight and took control with Taylor Brown missing. However, does he always taunt the opposing students? Or were our students just rude? Not sure if anything specific happened but they seemed to go at it tonight. Maybe he didn't enjoy them yelling "AIRBALL" for about 15 mins but I have a feeling there was more to it.

Overall, I'm not sure how Bradley has done so poorly this season. Perhaps it's because I watched them go from "can't miss" to "average" but they looked like Wichita in that first half before really cooling off.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » February 23rd, 2012, 6:22 am

Hyperbole adjustment, engage.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » February 23rd, 2012, 9:33 am

PantherSigEp wrote:Thankfully UNI was able to right the ship in the 2nd half and pull out a 64-55 victory. Very classy move by Jake to use the final time out and take out Johnny with under 5 seconds, so that he could get a big ovation from the crowd. I'm going to miss that kid, I don't want this season to ever end. He may be my favorite player since the days of the first Ben Jacobson.

On a side note, are there any Bradley posters who can enlighten me on Walt Lemon? He looked very impressive tonight and took control with Taylor Brown missing. However, does he always taunt the opposing students? Or were our students just rude? Not sure if anything specific happened but they seemed to go at it tonight. Maybe he didn't enjoy them yelling "AIRBALL" for about 15 mins but I have a feeling there was more to it.

Overall, I'm not sure how Bradley has done so poorly this season. Perhaps it's because I watched them go from "can't miss" to "average" but they looked like Wichita in that first half before really cooling off.

I like Johnny Moran as well. Solid player, always makes the shot it seems. Good career for him. I like Tuttle as well. Good big guy to build the program around, IMO. Northern Iowa will be pretty good next year I think.

Walt Lemon, Jr--well, he is about one of the only Bradley players with a bit of an attitude or "mean streak"...which on a team of softies I actually like. He does let him emotions get the best of him at times. I know he had a taunt after the breakaway dunk.

He has been an interesting player all season. Despite some up and down performances he has had a very good year and is a bright spot for the future. His speed and athleticism are off the charts. When he is making outside shots like last night he becomes very hard to guard. I would like to see him with better teammates around him.

Anyway, to answer the question--yes, I have seen him on a few times get into it with the opposing students after big plays, etc. He probably needs to curtail that but considering he is about the only tough guy with attitude on the roster I will take it for now.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 23rd, 2012, 10:18 am

If anything he seemed to play better when he was getting booed and yelled at. He had a lot of big shots to keep Bradley in that game until the very end.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 23rd, 2012, 10:27 am

PantherSigEp wrote:If anything he seemed to play better when he was getting booed and yelled at. He had a lot of big shots to keep Bradley in that game until the very end.

This is true.

He honestly could (I won't go as far as should) have gotten a T after that dunk.

I liked watching Geno as a coach. If he can get some talent he will be very good for BU.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoBraves » February 23rd, 2012, 10:47 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Walt Lemon, Jr--well, he is about one of the only Bradley players with a bit of an attitude or "mean streak"...which on a team of softies I actually like. He does let him emotions get the best of him at times. I know he had a taunt after the breakaway dunk.

Anyway, to answer the question--yes, I have seen him on a few times get into it with the opposing students after big plays, etc. He probably needs to curtail that but considering he is about the only tough guy with attitude on the roster I will take it for now.

I agree Tribe-quest. I like WL Jr's toughness - not something we've had in past few seasons. Maniscalco was pretty tough, but lacked athleticism.
Walt hit a rough patch a few weeks ago and his frustration really got the best of him. But somehow he managed to get his attitude back together and play solid ball the past couple weeks - the only consistency we've seen from this team lately.

We have ZERO inside game right now - with the exception of Stix who may give us 3-4 ppg. Pross has unfortunately lost all confidence. He was a big key to this season - started out well, but now needs to get mentally tough this off season so he can be productive next season.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball