MVC Post Season awards

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Post Season awards

Postby PantherSigEp » February 24th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Isn't Ragland a "newcomer" or is it age that has me so unsure about that? NoY should be easy if he is but I guess that just furthers my doubts even more.

Edit: Nevermind, I heard Ragland and thought Carl Hall who I believe is a transfer, correct? Not sure why. Carry on.
Last edited by PantherSigEp on February 24th, 2012, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hunter » February 24th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:McDermott was more impressive out-of conference with the weaker schedule and but he was exposed for not being a complete player (e.g. playing DEFENSE). Ryan not only can score but also play defense and feed his own offensive players. Ryan average 3.5 assist per game, 88% from FT, and average 2.1 steals per game and was a better outside shooter than McDermott.

McDermott did rebound well and shot higher pct from field, but that more a difference about position than skill comparison.

I'm not sure how you can make the argument that McDermott's FG% and rebounding numbers are higher than Ryan's due to his position but at the same time ignore that criteria when you talk about Ryan holding the advantage in the assist category. That seems to be a pretty inherent contradiction. How many back-to-the-basket 4 guys do you know who average 3.5 assists per game?

That said, I agree that it is close. I'd love to look at some offensive efficiency comparisons between the two.
Hunter
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby cpacmel » February 24th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Ryan (36.8) on avg plays nearly 3.5 more minutes per game than McDermott (33.4) too.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » February 24th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Hunter wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:McDermott was more impressive out-of conference with the weaker schedule and but he was exposed for not being a complete player (e.g. playing DEFENSE). Ryan not only can score but also play defense and feed his own offensive players. Ryan average 3.5 assist per game, 88% from FT, and average 2.1 steals per game and was a better outside shooter than McDermott.

McDermott did rebound well and shot higher pct from field, but that more a difference about position than skill comparison.

I'm not sure how you can make the argument that McDermott's FG% and rebounding numbers are higher than Ryan's due to his position but at the same time ignore that criteria when you talk about Ryan holding the advantage in the assist category. That seems to be a pretty inherent contradiction. How many back-to-the-basket 4 guys do you know who average 3.5 assists per game?

That said, I agree that it is close. I'd love to look at some offensive efficiency comparisons between the two.

Valid points... I think your right additional analysis needs to be done beyond conventional stats because it is very close - but we know the voters won't do that and mcDermot will win at the very least because of the cu propaganda machine.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » February 24th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Since when is defensive rebounding not part of playing defense?

Also, I think many have the wrong idea about Creighton's defensive struggles this year. For the most part, it hasn't been a defensive breakdown by Creighton's bigs (Echinique and McDermott primarily) that has been the problem; it has been the play of the guards. It has been opposing guards that have had big games against CU, not opposing big men.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 24th, 2012, 3:25 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
2livewu wrote:I like GE and believe CU would be better if they included him a little more and Doug a little less in their offensive plans.

That being said, while I think he's a good defender, I have a problem with the DPOY coming from a team that's, at best, the 5th best defensive team in the conference.

I see what you are saying, but it is defensive PLAYER of the year, not defensive team of the year. As a WSu fan who watched Stutz go through the conference, you'd have to admit that GE was the only one to be able to handle him. Further, not only did he handle him, he completely shut Stutz down in both games. If not for GE, Creighton's defense may be rated last. He has been that dominant defensively.

Young, Rice and Carmichael seem logical for the 5th spot. Toure' Murray probably is 2nd team, but man he's a good 2nd teamer.

Pay attention here valleyclimber----

No way should Young get any serious consideration for all conference. His defense this year has been absolutely abysmal. He has good offensive numbers and has hit several clutch shots, but until he either learns how to defend better or shows the effort to do so, he wouldn't get my vote.

I agree with you regarding Echenique. He's by far the best defensive post in our league. Has any MVC post had a standout game when going against him? If so I'm not aware of it. Just because CU isn't strong defensively doesn't mean he isn't on an individual basis.

In the game's I've seen I hadn't noted that Young was that wretched on defense. But I haven't seen near as many CU games as you I'm sure.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » February 24th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:seems to me you have to look at the stats in MVC context. Like CU played easier schedule than Evansville.

MVC Only

Ryan - 22.1 ppg
McDermott - 20.9 ppg

McDermott was more impressive out-of conference with the weaker schedule and but he was exposed for not being a complete player (e.g. playing DEFENSE). Ryan not only can score but also play defense and feed his own offensive players. Ryan average 3.5 assist per game, 88% from FT, and average 2.1 steals per game and was a better outside shooter than McDermott.

I would give POY to Ryan. Let Evansville have some love.

If Colt Ryan won POY, that would be a total joke. Evansville is one loss from possibly being a Thursday night team. He's a great player but he has to make Evansville a competitive team atleast, like atleast a solid 4th place or better to be considered. It's not like Colt Ryan is averaging like 30 points a game to make up for his teams poor play all year. As far as non-conference schedule, Evansville might have played statistically a tougher nonconference but getting DESTROYED by North Carolina and Indiana hardly helps his case. McDermott actually played a big part in beating good teams like SDSU.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » February 24th, 2012, 8:20 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
2livewu wrote:I like GE and believe CU would be better if they included him a little more and Doug a little less in their offensive plans.

That being said, while I think he's a good defender, I have a problem with the DPOY coming from a team that's, at best, the 5th best defensive team in the conference.

I see what you are saying, but it is defensive PLAYER of the year, not defensive team of the year. As a WSu fan who watched Stutz go through the conference, you'd have to admit that GE was the only one to be able to handle him. Further, not only did he handle him, he completely shut Stutz down in both games. If not for GE, Creighton's defense may be rated last. He has been that dominant defensively.

Young, Rice and Carmichael seem logical for the 5th spot. Toure' Murray probably is 2nd team, but man he's a good 2nd teamer.

Pay attention here valleyclimber----

No way should Young get any serious consideration for all conference. His defense this year has been absolutely abysmal. He has good offensive numbers and has hit several clutch shots, but until he either learns how to defend better or shows the effort to do so, he wouldn't get my vote.

I see what you are saying here, but take off the Blue shades for a minute. Doug was pretty average (actually, for him, way below average) against WSU. We thank Ben Smith for that. Weems was shut down by Ben. Ben gets the A pretty much every game.

I like my guy, you like yours. That being said, Your kind of bumping your guy because the rest of the team is so bad defensively, so Greg stands out. I get that, but it doesn't make him a better defender, he just stands out more. And "my guy" stands out less because those around him are really good defenders (especially Williams and Murry and Hall).

Also, WSU totally iso'd Doug in Omaha. They scored over and around him time and time and time again simply because they knew he wouldn't play defense. Please don't try to defend his D. It's awful and the only reason (other than WSU winning the title) we're even having the discussion. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out. If it makes you feel better, we can discuss Toure's bad turnovers if you want.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » February 25th, 2012, 4:22 pm

cpacmel wrote:Ryan (36.8) on avg plays nearly 3.5 more minutes per game than McDermott (33.4) too.

good point. Evidently Ryan is in better shape than McDermott and has more stamina.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » February 25th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
cpacmel wrote:Ryan (36.8) on avg plays nearly 3.5 more minutes per game than McDermott (33.4) too.

good point. Evidently Ryan is in better shape than McDermott and has more stamina.

Or Creighton blows out more people than Evansville and can sit McDermott more at the ends of the games.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball